X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter losing pressure any ideas????

On a job thismorning jetting out a septic drain field and about 30mins into job the pressure on the gauge on my mini reel drops to 3800 PSI (Usually over 4000PSI on this gauge) then shortly after only about 2500 PSI also the supply hose is bouncing around on the ground. Now Ive seen the supply hose do that before and its when the water supply is running out and the pump is reacting to the lack of water but when I checked my 200LT tank on my truck it was full and the filter b/w tank and pump is clean im scratching my head???! Any ideas? The only suggestion Ive had so far is pos one of the pump valves is gone. Hope not that sounds expensive!

Im taking it in to the shop to get looked at tomorrow if i can get in but in the meantime it would be great to hear any input from you guys as what it could be.

Cheers Phil.

Re: Jetter losing pressure any ideas????

EPC, who's jetter is it????????????????????????

Comment

Also who do you intend taking it to. How old is it and how many hours are on the clock

Comment

i had a bad return (dump) valve that failed . i saw water returning to the tank. had to be that valve or the un loader. it was the valve an easy fix. hope yours is too.

Comment

it the pump is not leaking from a packing. then it could be an unloader, but typically an unloader would only drop the pressure and not cause the hose to jump unless the unloader was pulsing. you could loosen the return hose to check for unloader bypassing.

so that leaves a sticky or leaking check valve. could be a speck of dirt or bad o-ring.

could also be a bad pulsation valve. water is bypassing your pulsation valve. is it a valve that disables a check valve on the head or a ball valve that returns to the tank? you could loosen the return hose and check for bypassing water. you could also remove the pulsation valve and plug the head to eliminate any possibility of the pulsation feature.

if the pump isn't leaking, then it should be a simple not too expensive fix.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
            EPC, who's jetter is it????????????????????????
            Hi Cleanmen2 the jetter is an Aussie King Cobra 5000 psi unit and its 2-3 years old and has been serviced regularly. I take it to a shop locally who services pressure washers and all small machenery. He has been very good at sorting it in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              it the pump is not leaking from a packing. then it could be an unloader, but typically an unloader would only drop the pressure and not cause the hose to jump unless the unloader was pulsing. you could loosen the return hose to check for unloader bypassing.

so that leaves a sticky or leaking check valve. could be a speck of dirt or bad o-ring.

could also be a bad pulsation valve. water is bypassing your pulsation valve. is it a valve that disables a check valve on the head or a ball valve that returns to the tank? you could loosen the return hose and check for bypassing water. you could also remove the pulsation valve and plug the head to eliminate any possibility of the pulsation feature.

if the pump isn't leaking, then it should be a simple not too expensive fix.

rick.
              Thanks for the ideas Rick.

The pump is definately not leaking so I will make sure the other points you mentioned are checked and keep u posted on what it turns out to be.

Cheers Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by epc View Post
                ...also the supply hose is bouncing around on the ground.
                If the supply hose is pulsing, I mean REALLY pulsing, you've probably got an inlet valve damaged or stuck open.
                Who made the pump?
                "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                  If the supply hose is pulsing, I mean REALLY pulsing, you've probably got an inlet valve damaged or stuck open.
                  Who made the pump?
                  agree; stuck inlet check valve
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Here's a PDF link for Bertolini piston pump repair (not the exact model as the King Cobra uses, but close enough to get the job done)...

http://www.normist-tr.com/Service%20PDF%20E.pdf

Check valves are an extremely easy fix.
                    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                      Who made the pump?
                      Spot on it has a cracked inlet valve!

Parts are being shipped overnight so should be up and running late tomorrow.

Thanks for the help im learning heaps from this forum and from the experts over here too.

Cheers Phil.

Comment

EPC, just interested to know who you have been getting to service your jetter. To the guys on the forum again you are fantastic. rest assured we all take notice and again you have proved that this is a fantastic resource for like minded professionals. I know that down here we are behind when it comes to sharing information. I bet EPC will be putting up the first round when you bring the round-up downunder. BTW, our beers are cold and our milkshakes are fresh from the cow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                          EPC, just interested to know who you have been getting to service your jetter. To the guys on the forum again you are fantastic. rest assured we all take notice and again you have proved that this is a fantastic resource for like minded professionals. I know that down here we are behind when it comes to sharing information. I bet EPC will be putting up the first round when you bring the round-up downunder. BTW, our beers are cold and our milkshakes are fresh from the cow.
                          Mal Henry from 'all small machinery' in Somerville services my jetter and he knows his stuff and is a really good bloke and easy to deal with. He was referred to me from one of the other drain cleaners on the Peninsula.

Comment

Working...
                          X