X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $$$$$$$$$$$$

I know this has been discussed before about the amount you charge for a job and it varies from place to place....I live in a town of about 10,000 plus with smaller towns and villages in the same county and surrounding counties....most of the plumbers around here charge between 50-70 an hr. plus equipment charge and some even charge $50 dollars for a service charge just to come to your house....So my question is how much do you charge just for drain cleaning. Do you stay consistant with the local plumbers who do provide the service?.....Most of them I run into just cable and go they hardly use there cameras at all....Since I'm attempting to start a drain cleaning business I would primarly do jetting seeing thats what I do primarly 40hrs a week....do me thats just not good business just run your cable and go and tell the customer its open.....would like opinions please ....thanks

Re: $$$$$$$$$$$$

The hardest thing to understand when starting a business is that it does not matter in the slightest what your competitors are charging. charge based on your cost of doing business, include everything from insurance, your wages, taxes, gas, vehicle maintenance, don't forget to budget for new equipment and growth.

Now divide that by the number of hours you can reasonably expect to work. That's what your hourly rate is.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Not every customer going to have the money for you to jet their line, it cost about 3 or 4time then cable, most of them dont want to pay that much, beside you dont want to jet their line anyway because if you do then you wont be back there for a long time.

Comment

Your competition has been around for a while for a reason. You seem to be new (as I once was, and still am) I had the same perception as you when starting out and it continues to change every week.

As a business owner you will learn how to run a business. Right now you kind of have the outlook of an employee where everything is black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by khoa007 View Post
          beside you dont want to jet their line anyway because if you do then you wont be back there for a long time.

Isn't that the point, provide excellent service the first time?

I would not be happy at all with a plumber doing the bare minimum so he can get called back in a month to do his half as$ed work again. I can make my toilet backup into my tub for free, I don't need to pay you to fix it so you can come back and fix it again.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

sure excellent but they wont pay for a jetter, every of my customer dont want to pay and im ok with it, i just come back a few month again and bill them again, they pay cheap they will pay twice or three time or more. This is how you do with price shopper or cheap client, you get them little at a time. Sometime my snake will open the hole real big and they dont call back for year. You get what you pay for, you want to pay cheap you get cheap service, not all plumber are the same, if you do too good of a job by jetting you will be out of business. I always snake it go so it will pass the 30day warranty i gave them after that it out of my hand.

I don't need to pay you to fix it so you can come back and fix it again.

the problem with ur statement is how much you pay. If you pay cheap price people will do cheap work.
            Always remember u get what you pay for. You want good work pay for it.

Comment

sure excellent but they wont pay for a jetter, every of my customer dont want to pay and im ok with it, i just come back a few month again and bill them again, they pay cheap they will pay twice or three time or more. This is how you do with price shopper or cheap client, you get them little at a time. Sometime my snake will open the hole real big and they dont call back for year. You get what you pay for, you want to pay cheap you get cheap service, not all plumber are the same, if you do too good of a job by jetting you will be out of business. I always snake it go so it will pass the 30day warranty i gave them after that it out of my hand.

I don't need to pay you to fix it so you can come back and fix it again.

the problem with ur statement is how much you pay. If you pay cheap price people will do cheap work.
              Always remember u get what you pay for. You want good work pay for it.

You must be one of those hole pokers

Comment

i wouldnt call myself a hole poker, other drain guy call me for help, i have 4 seesnake camera, model c, k60,root66, cart jetter. 50% of my work are from other plumber or drain guy that dont have the equitment that i have, oh yea i can even pull permit.

Comment

unless there is an underlying issue, there is no reason you can't clean any sewer with a cable. The jetter will do it faster, and will scour grease more effectively. but I've yet to work a sewer Had to be jetted to get it clean.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

My thought is...jet clean it(roots grease and all)....show the customer what you did and how clean it is....and your work should explain itself....you might not be back for awhile but the customer will remember how good of job you did and the hole word of mouth thing plus to can always promote preventive maintenance....might be q couple years but you will have repeat business.....am I wrong?.....seems to me that would be the professional thing to do?

Comment

I would never base my charges on what my competition was doing, as all costs are not the same in each business.

There is no pride in being the cheapest, and if you're peeking at what your competition is doing, your doors won't be open very long.

Comment

I work for the city so we get called by the local plumbers all the time and I just sometimes ask questions ....havent started up(business) yet still in the workings

Comment

When I call for service, it would be nice to have my options explained to me. If I were to choose to not have my main line jetted, it still would be nice to have you run the camera down the line to show me just how clean or dirty my pipe was to justify the extra expense of jetting, or show me how much I saved by paying for the camera, and not paying even more for jetting.
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

The first and most important point is not selling your service, but selling yourself. A customer has to trust that you will act on their best behalf. Most customers want to know up front what type of cost to expect and what their options are. While I agree that it is necessary to base your costs upon your expenses, it is more important to base your expenses upon your market and what expense your market will bear. You may not be comparing yourself to your competition, but your customers will. I hear all the time about other companies and how they were charged twice as much, did damage, etc., and how they will NEVER, EVER, EVER call them again.
                            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

i wouldnt call myself a hole poker, other drain guy call me for help, i have 4 seesnake camera, model c, k60,root66, cart jetter. 50% of my work are from other plumber or drain guy that dont have the equitment that i have, oh yea i can even pull permit.
                              That must be my problem, not pulling permits for jetting/cabling/camera'ing.

I like your business ethics. You, you work on commission don't you?

Comment

Working...
                              X