1/4" vs 3/8" jetter hose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4" vs 3/8" jetter hose

my jetter specs are 18 hp 5.6 gpm @ 3600psi i use 200' of 3/8" hose with the nozzle end being crimped with a 1/4" mip

As i see in bills videos looks like 1/4" or 5/16" hose. Should i be using 1/4" hose how much would i gain or lose by goin down to 1/4" hose?

I know i would be able to make more corners and bends with 1/4" hose but what are the pros and cons of smaller hose?

What are you guys using?

Re: 1/4" vs 3/8" jetter hose

Check out My harbor frieght, 5000 psi, 3/8" quick disconnect, in line guage $19.99 Great quality . Know pressure at the end!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I don't know anything about jetters, but I would assume the pros would be more flexible for smaller lines, but that is probably it. You would lose volume for sure, but pressure would be the same.

I think..

Comment

stolen, actually just the opposite.

i would use the 1/4'' hose on the 2'' and smaller lines. the 3/8'' hose on 3'' and larger.

the pressure drop on 1/4'' at 5.6 gpm would be beyond my chart. but at 4 gpm, it's approx 4.75# per foot. so at 200' that's 950# loss. plus it will cycle your unloader as 1/4'' is undersized for 5.6 gpm.

the 3/8'' hose will only lose 1.25# per foot at 5.6 gpm. so 200' would be a 250# drop.

whenever possible use the 3/8'' hose.

bill in australia jacks up the pressure to overcome the pressure loss. therefore he still ends up with decent cutting pressure.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

We would struggle using 3/16" hose with 3000psi. Rick is right, I like the higher pressure so I can use smaller hose to get around our tight traps and junctions. I can get 3/16" around a toilet bowl with screw on nozzles, not quick connects!
          Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

so thats why bill like to run 5000 psi.............i get it Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X