X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter maintenance tips

I thought it may be helpful in a new thread after reading about the Aussie King Cobra that failed recently. The same applies to most piston jet pumps.

The 5000psi King Cobra needs it's high and low pressure valves replaced every 18 months. Although the seats are stainless they will wear and sometimes crack.

You will also find the zinc plated steel fittings used on the inlet side of most pump heads will oxidize and form rust spots on the surface of the fittings. These rust spots eventually come away and get caught in a closing valve. This will crack a seal and you will immediately notice a drop in pressure and the hose will shake from cavitation in the pump head.

If the seal doesn't crack it will pit like a worn tap seat and allow some pressure to escape.

These rust spots also find their way into nozzle jets. When they pass through a Root Ranger turbo nozzle they can crack the ceramic tip. This kits can be purchased separately through Ridge Tool US.

If you want to avoid this from happening to your Jetter, replace all your inlet steel fittings with brass. Please note, this is on the low pressure inlet side of the pump only. The high pressure outlet side of the pump can be replaced with high pressure brass or stainless fittings rated to your pumps psi.

Make sure you have a 10 micron or similar Inline water filter fitted as close to the pump as possible to prevent silts damaging the pump seals.

The last thing to replace is all the steel swage fittings on your hoses regularly (18months). These too can rust and block your nozzle jets.

Hard water areas will also wear out your pump and unloader valves early. Some clients in South Australia replace their unloaders every 6 months! We recommend replacing all these valves every 18 months to keep your Jetter working at it's optimum performance level.
    Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
    Albert Einstein

Re: Jetter maintenance tips

great info bill

Comment

bill, why do the manufactures chose the cadmium plated high pressure fittings on jetters and pressure washers?

how much more would it cost to use stainless on the fittings and hose ends?

when you think about it, the cad plated fittings were designed for hydraulic systems using oil not water.

i'm sure another $100.00 worth of fittings would not stop someone from purchasing a machine without having to worry about rust damaging their pump or plugging their nozzles.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, unfortunately 95% of plumbers buys on price today, not quality. We sell a Racejet Boss 5000 with all the bits and only a handful of people shell out the extra for this quality hand built machine. Our standard Racejet 4300 and 5000 machines are also a premium product but plumbers don't research the difference they just say "Their machine was $800 cheaper." I just love that raw ignorance!

Mainstream buy the cheapest thinking their getting the same machine. I tell them that if their 'cheaper brand' lets them down just once, thats $200 plus their time to take it back to the shop and collect it again and it wont stop there! Now you've made up the difference between the 'cheap' and the 'quality' and your customer wont think much of you either, leaving a job unfinished.

If you finance a higher priced quality machine, the cost difference to you is less than the cost of a cup of coffee every day without the hassles.
        Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

the cost of stainless steel is not the only consideration... most stainless fittings top out at 3000 psi and are huge. the plated fittings have ratings 4500-5000+ depending on pipe size. We use plated fittings on the discharge, brass or poly fittings for low pressure. Like Bill we see price as a major consideration for most buyers also.
          John

Comment

thanks for the info, saving money is almost as good as making it

Comment

Originally posted by JettersNW View Post
              the cost of stainless steel is not the only consideration... most stainless fittings top out at 3000 psi and are huge. the plated fittings have ratings 4500-5000+ depending on pipe size. We use plated fittings on the discharge, brass or poly fittings for low pressure. Like Bill we see price as a major consideration for most buyers also.
              John
              Yes but you were very good at getting me over to your company and pay a little extra more by telling me just why I was paying a bit more.
              Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
              Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Yes we always sell on quality...but there is a threshhold for most customers. We focus on trailer quality, top end components like engines, pumps reels and hoses, and of course knowing how to put it all together so it doesn't break. You always have to draw a line somewhere. Plated fitting don't make a machine's quality poor but stainless will make it more money

Originally posted by mpm View Post
                Yes but you were very good at getting me over to your company and pay a little extra more by telling me just why I was paying a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                X