X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

Customer in the house for 10+years, never had a lateral stoppage. Customer installed a 2 way cleanout and discovered roots at each clay joint. I discover 12 serious root intrusions between the C/O and 73'(tie in to the city). Sewer is between 3'-5' deep. Pipe is bad out to 52'. Nothing to prevent dig(no concrete, tree, etc). 4" clay. How would you service this customer?
    Rotary clean
    3.57%
    rotary clean with chemical treatment
    10.71%
    hydro jet
    3.57%
    hydrojet with chemical treament
    39.29%
    dig new sewer line
    35.71%
    pull new sewer line
    7.14%
    Last edited by gear junkie; 10-23-2011, 12:08 PM.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: What would you do?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Customer in the house for 10+years, never had a lateral stoppage. Customer installed a 2 way cleanout and discovered roots at each clay joint. I discover 12 serious root intrusions between the C/O and 73'(tie in to the city). How would you service this customer?
    My first question how difficult would a repipe be? Cost?

If that's not an option then looks like a cable maybe every 6 months spring and fall.

Comment

You're to fast, look again. I forgot to add those details.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

You're to fast, look again. I forgot to add those details.
        Waiting on the games to start with laptop at hand...Fast on the draw!

I would go for the repipe and eliminate the problem. Roots will only get more aggressive with time. The more it needs to be maintained the less the repipe is going to cost in the end.

Comment

Also forgot...the pipe looks good from the inspection, no sags or cracked pipe.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Assuming your definition of serious is the same as mine.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It was bad enough where I had to remove the ball guides and fight to get out to the city tie in. I think it never backed up because there are no woman in the house. If only there was some great video system where all the readers could view my sewer inspection online.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, realize that the person has lived there 10+ years with no backups. that's what i call a real track record.

my advice is to properly clean the line and document it with a camera inspection. for me it's a hydrojetter. at that point a root-x treatment will put an end to those exposed roots.

i don't recommend anyone spending big money on sewer replacements when they have gone 10 years without a stoppage and the pipe looks clean.

there is not a sewer in my work area that is root free. i can run a camera up and down block by block and see issues. it goes by track record and my documented findings over years of servicing them that determines if a replacement is necessary.

jetting every couple years is a whole lot less expensive than digging a 73' long sewer trench.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

It was bad enough where I had to remove the ball guides and fight to get out to the city tie in. I think it never backed up because there are no woman in the house. If only there was some great video system where all the readers could view my sewer inspection online.
                  "No Woman in the house? I ain't working there!"
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I ended only jetting the line. You'd never be able to tell their were roots in that line after I got done with it. I chose not to replace because the pipe looked good except for the roots. Didn't do the rootx because I'm a bad salesman and they haven't had a stoppage. Didn't do rotary cleaning because jetting is more effective. After looking at my records, I haven't done any k60 work since getting the jetter.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gear I was wondering what kind of jetter you running a cart or trailer?
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

13 hp 3.5 gpm at 3000 psi with a root ranger. It took about 20 minutes to jet and 1 1/2 hours for setup and breakdown.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben, I dont see any problem in replacing the line. I had a fvew cases of customers, I remember one really well, he had no issues for 40 years and 3 in 1 week, we ran a camera and found his line collapsed at the 6x4.

Sounds like its an easy dig, better yet, if you have trenchless, pull it. Give the customer a 50 year product, no more worries, no more issues down the line. If your there cleaning the line every year or jetting, your just inconveniencing the customer, asking for issues on a Sunday night or Christmas eve. Nothing wrong with completely taking care of the issue. It also depends on the customers budget. I always offer it both ways to my customer. Most are willing to just have it done and get it off their list of things to do.

Do a great job and get paid.
                          Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

I ended only jetting the line. You'd never be able to tell their were roots in that line after I got done with it. I chose not to replace because the pipe looked good except for the roots. Didn't do the rootx because I'm a bad salesman and they haven't had a stoppage. Didn't do rotary cleaning because jetting is more effective. After looking at my records, I haven't done any k60 work since getting the jetter.
                            Just ate my words, inside a tattoo shop that was flushing baby wipes and paper towels. Funny thing was I just got inked last night.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc. View Post
                              Ben, I dont see any problem in replacing the line. I had a fvew cases of customers, I remember one really well, he had no issues for 40 years and 3 in 1 week, we ran a camera and found his line collapsed at the 6x4.

Sounds like its an easy dig, better yet, if you have trenchless, pull it. Give the customer a 50 year product, no more worries, no more issues down the line. If your there cleaning the line every year or jetting, your just inconveniencing the customer, asking for issues on a Sunday night or Christmas eve. Nothing wrong with completely taking care of the issue. It also depends on the customers budget. I always offer it both ways to my customer. Most are willing to just have it done and get it off their list of things to do.

Do a great job and get paid.
                              Can you explain further on the 50 year product?
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X