X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite 1/4" drum cables for tubs/showers

What is your favorite cable for this application?

I've had dcd's, they seem a bit on the stiff side. They are would from a slightly larger dia wire than what I had before and are a little stiffer as a result. The open hook retriever wound into the end grabs hair nice, but is a pain to get it clean again. also it is too big to get into those overflows with all the bars on them.

I tried a couple auto-spin replacement cables because they were cheapish and something different. way too fragile.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: favorite 1/4" drum cables for tubs/showers

alex, all i use are the factory 5/16'' bulb end cables that come with the k-39/45.

the c-1 is non innercore and will be a bit more flexible than the c-1ic innercore. the 25' is what i use.

my understanding is the 5/16 and 1/4'' are the same wire gauge. that makes the 5/16'' a more flexible cable as it's a looser wind than the 1/4''.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have tried most and Marco cables are by far the most flexible/durable and are priced around $20.00 each for 25' footers.

As far as Ridgid cables go:

There are 3 different wire sizes of 1/4" cable:
      1/4" cable used in the Kwik-Spin uses a 0.072" diameter wire and a plastic inner core (not sold as a replacement part)
      1/4" cable used in the Auto-Clean has a 0.080" diameter wire and a plastic inner core (1/4" x 30', cat no 34893)
      1/4" cables as accessories for the K-45 and the K-40 has a 0.092" diameter wire (model no's S-1, S-2, and S-3)
      For the 5/16" cables, there are 2 styles:5/16" hollow core uses a 0.080" wire (C-1, C-2, C-21, C-22)
      5/16" inner core cables have a 0.092" wire and inner core of steel wire rope (C-1IC, C-2IC, C-13IC, C-13ICSB, C-23IC)

Comment

got an online supplier for marco, ridgid? I want to order a couple of each.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

5/16 speed bump cable by ridgid. 5/16x35' innercore cable.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ace check Allan J Coleman's prices. They carry Ridgid, Marco, Eel, Spartan, General and other words brands of cables. I have great success with the Ridgid cable in my K40
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

greetings, i have been using general wire 1/4 " continuous spiral end 4 many years / found it to be the most durable in that size

Comment

Well, I bought some mytannas since no-one recommended them... why'd I even ask if I wasn't gonna listen?

The ridgid ones I have are pretty flimsy. Too delicate for me. They are .270 diameter and the wire is .076 by my calipers.

the mytannas seem a bit too stout, similar to the dcd ones I had. They are .270 as well and the wire measures .087

Will let you know how I like them. They sure are shiny. They were cheap ($20).

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  Well, I bought some mytannas since no-one recommended them... why'd I even ask if I wasn't gonna listen?

The ridgid ones I have are pretty flimsy. Too delicate for me. They are .270 diameter and the wire is .076 by my calipers.

the mytannas seem a bit too stout, similar to the dcd ones I had. They are .270 as well and the wire measures .087

Will let you know how I like them. They sure are shiny. They were cheap ($20).

The 1/4" I bought from Mytanna is so stiff I'll never use it.

Comment

I have DCD 1/4 open hook with no issues I just oil after every usage.
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                      I have DCD 1/4 open hook with no issues I just oil after every usage.

My 2 DCD 1/4" cables were stiffer than rigamortis

Comment

We're going to give the mytanna's a chance. They are stiffer yet than the dcd's I thought were a bit stiff. Got them wound backward, left hand, so going in they should push, coming out they should grab. The end is a flexy spiral cone. figure that we'll go in in forrward til no progeress, then hit reverse for a bit and see if we get prizes, then try again.

mostly fear is in regard to pushing off nutted traps 2nd floor or higher. the flimsyish auto-spin replacement cables (21338) killed it in regard to negotiating the trap and heading the right way, but died on contact with a significant clog. Bound up and kinked before we had a chance to back off.

Made one prop mgr guy happy to look silliy when I nailed the back to back tubs first try because the auto-spin cable took the right path. Think the stiff mytannas would have laughed all the way to the overflow on the other tub.

We get a bunch of calls in a complex with nutted traps. There are crawls allowing access to the traps for the lower floor units in this complex. Were going to hit showers with the mytannas, tubs with the mesed up kinked auto-spin replacement cables, and wait for calls in that complex. Gonna be rough in tubs with the mytannas on the bottom floor and do our ham-fisted worst and see if we can push a trap off where we know we can fix it if we need to.

re mytanna... brochure included with order... is there no shame? jetter nozzles are so clearly rebranded aquamole that I'm a bit uncomfortable admitting I bought anything from mytanna.
                        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 11-11-2011, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Stuck the mytanna cable in a tub yesterday. It was on the first floor with a parking garage below so I was confident that if I pushed something apart I'd be able to get to it to put it back together. Did just fine, no real excessive reefing on it required despite how stiff it seems. Pulled back a wookie as big as my hand. Still a little afraid of how stiff it is.

Comment

I use the Electric Eel or General cables for 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" cable on my Super-Vee. Both brands of cable have held up well for me.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              alex, all i use are the factory 5/16'' bulb end cables that come with the k-39/45.

the c-1 is non innercore and will be a bit more flexible than the c-1ic innercore. the 25' is what i use.

my understanding is the 5/16 and 1/4'' are the same wire gauge. that makes the 5/16'' a more flexible cable as it's a looser wind than the 1/4''.

rick.

Rick I also use that cable and buy the replacements but in 35', I find that 25' is just too short sometimes and that extra sure comes in handy. Why do you only use the 25'? I've been wondering about why Ridgid sells the K39,45 only with the 25' cable? Could the extra weight of the 35' cable be what's causing motor problems for me? Thing is Ridgid does say that you can use the 35' cable in the machine don't they? I'm pretty sure they do.

Comment

Working...
                              X