• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: drain problems

to clarify, she was told it was a 3" drain & the cable is about 1"
    bob

Comment

Not likely caused by street repaving unless there was some utility line work done at the same time.

Looks like 3" pipe with at least a 7/8" cable sticking out. He is using the proper size cable for that pipe.

Any idea how much cable is down the pipe?

Has there been a history of stoppages or are you just lucky the cable got stuck on the first trip down the pipe?

Comment

first time they ever had a blockage guys figures about 45 ' of snake down hole
        bob

Comment

Maybe duct tape a sewer camera and a garden hose and push that in and shop vac the water out and see what happened?
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

my guess is a 7/8'' sectional cable based on a close up of the photo.

depending on the machine they used, k-60 or k-1500 style, they should be able to turn the cable.

there is a chance they bit off more than they could handle with their setup. i suggest to either attempt another company with a sectional machine and see if they can get the cable to rotate. if the cable rotates, thats a good sign. if it just torques up, then you've got problems.

a camera will help locate the line and give depth.

a jetter will cut off roots on the cable and cutter head.

an airline ticket would get me there, and chances are get it out.

unless you can wait another week, i'm off to costa rica for bigger and better problems

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

LOL rick pretty sure we can't afford you, but have a good trip anyway you probably don't even own " cold weather " clothes
              city crew is coming in the morning & they sounded confident thay can remove the snake & get a camera down hope so
              but it gets better ( you can't make this stuff up )
              the original company , when they came back yesterday to attempt to remove their snake, apparently found a " back flow " valve in the laundry room ( on sewer line )
              they took it apart to try to get a camera down there no luck but .........................
              they left & i guess did not put it back together just left it in peices on the floor & went home
              poured rain today, got sewage flooded up in laundry room daughter got home & had a mess to clean up got the lid on the valve & some thing to hold it down but jeesus murphy, how much more trouble can one company cause hope for the best tomorrow

Comment

Bob,

Allow me to recommend my attorney Do'we, Screw'em and How! These hacks owe you big time.

Comment

bob it's good that you're documenting this as a judge will see what the real pros would have done.

take photos and continue to document the issues.

chances are they got through the backwater valve and couldn't pull back out. now they flooded your daughters home.

the $650.00 they were trying to bill you will end up costing them $thousands in damages and destruction.

keep up the post and take photos. next time your daughter has a plumbing, heating or electrical issue, have her come here for advice and possibly a recommendation for a local plumber.

just amazing you got stuck with the dumb and dumber plumbing company

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

again all, thanks for the advice & support
                    have told her to take pics, and write everything down bottom line is, we just want it over with & repaired & will worry about assigning blame at a later date
                    when all is said & done we will discuss & see if an honest effort was made , but sometimes crap just happens, or was she the victim of some shady business
                    the biggest problem is i live 30 miles away ( my whole life ), in a very small town and i know people ( plumbers, elect, const, auto ) that are as honest as the day is long
                    they aint cheap & i would not expect honest quality work to be cheap, but when you go to the city i got zip for contacts there
                    coming here first would be an excellent thought, its just when she called me late on a saturday in a panic, i didn't think clearing a drain would have been that big a deal
                    bob

Comment

I few random thoughts...

Sounds like the backwater valve they took apart is in a floor drain in the laundry room? Not a buried backwater valve on the service line? Must be else they would not have been able to take it apart. That is not what they are caught in. Might be caught in a backflow valve on the service line near the main. Sounds like the distance is right. If so, and those are common in that area, they should know better.

Why did the rain make a flood? Are her gutters run in the same line to a combo sewer?

I would be able to get a camera in alongside the cable I would have used for that stoppage. Not sure there is room with the bigger sectional cable they've used, but not sure that there isn't. Not sure you'd get any useful information anyway as the line is still clogged and if holding water you won't see anything. Would at least allow you to locate it to dig the spot where it is hung up.

That cable looks awful big in that flange. Sure that isn't 1 1/4 cable? That's what it looks like from here. I'm not a sectional guy, and I tend to use smaller equipment for a given application than most, but 1 1/4 seems pretty stout for a three inch toilet flange access to me.

I can't believe that can't be backed out in reverse unless they rats' nested it in the line (and springing a 1 1/4 cable takes some doing). Rick's comment on whether the cable will turn or not is a good one.

'We'll replace it at 10% less than competitor's bid' would piss me off. Get them out of your house and keep them out. They are idiots. They have already wrecked stuff. If you let them loose with a backhoe, get it on video: it should be very entertaining.

If all else fails, you are gonna dig. In my area you must get utility locates before digging. The guys who do that are generally independent subs. One of them should be able to energize the snake cable and get a locate off of that. Might as well call in for locates (here they are free) and get that started just in case, then be there when the guy comes and slip him some $ to locate the cable as well.

If you have to dig, don't let the bozos do it. They will deliberately smash the line with the hoe to destroy any evidence of their screwup. Hire an independent excavator, explain the situation and that he must expose the line w/o damaging it, then vid the whole process. Then if you find a perfectly serviceable pipe with a cable wound in a knot in a rootball you can make them eat the cost of excavation.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

just out of curiosity what was the company name that did the work ??

Comment

night mare is over LOL city got involved today & contracted out to another company to see what they could do
                          he pulled the other guys snake sheesh! cleared line & sent camera down blockage caused by tree roots ( city tree )
                          all clear , no collapse guy re-set the toilet & put back flow valve back together guess daughter knows what company to call next time she needs help
                          said this guy was great not sure if it's appropriate to mention their name here in the forum, but again all thanks for the advice the last few days
                          only thing left is to haggle with the first company over the $$$$
                          bob

Comment

I am sure glad to hear that Murphy finally left your daughter's house. Hope he doesn't come here. Great to hear also that it was only a city tree root problem. At least she now knows who to call.
                            Charles

Comment

Glad Your Little Girl is OK !
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'd love to know what cutter was on the end of their cable !

What was the wrong senerio, do You Guys Guess they took ?
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X