X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drain problems

long story short, daughter called me yesterday lives in the city about 30 miles away
    toilet up-stairs was slow going down & water / sewage coming up in laundy room drain
    could not help ( was stuck at a hockey tourney ) told her to look in yellow pages for drain cleaner that looked reputable got one to come late saturday could not find main clean out , pulled downstairs toilet & snaked line told up -front cost was i think $ 650 plus tax no problem there
    he snakes , could not clear blockage & got his snake stuck in drain ( still there hanging out of downstairs toilet flange ) says he thinks drain is collapsed could very well be as i got no idea he
    told her to call a drain replacemet guy
    where we are now need some advice
    call one of the guys that advertise the plastice lining for drains ? call some one that would dig everything up ( including the paved drive way ) sorry all have zero experience here lived in the boonies my whole life septic for me
    probably 35 feet from her house to the street any advise welcome here
    thanks

Re: drain problems

up front cost was 650.

tell him up front to remove his cable or you will sue him.

he quoted you a high price to clear the line, now it's your turn to turn the tables on him. have them remove the cable and either fix the problem for the 650 quoted or get nothing done and sue them.

of course they probably also have a fine print waiver for that too.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have to agréé with rick for 650 he better clear thr drain and camera it to show the progress thats expensive and to leave a cable stuck..."im new at drain cleaning" but id have a guy come dig it up and id do the work im not gona leave a cable especially for 650$ thats just a rip off

Comment

Boy that sucks. I hate people like that. What it is with all this taking advantage of everyone else crap? Just sad..
        We need to have more plumber Rick's in this country I guess.
        Last edited by nobackfall; 11-06-2011, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity did that professional ad have rooter in their name?

Comment

For 650.00 he better be getting that cable out of your drain.....and he better be damn polite about it too!!!
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
              For 650.00 he better be getting that cable out of your drain.....and he better be damn polite about it too!!!

Kick azz avatar

Comment

If $650 is the going rate for a mainline, screw this heating crap...where's the cable?

Needless to say that is crazy. I hope you have not paid this fool as the job is not complete. Does this company advertise anything like 100% satisfaction gauranteed...doesn't sound like you are satisfied.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys
                  he insisted on credit card before he would start work & she was in a panic & signed i thought the price was kinda high, but saturday evening & all ? like i said i never had experience with this stuff
                  the drain cleaning company called today & asked when they were getting the line dug up so they could get their snake back ?
                  what they are saying is the tile is collapsed ( with out putting a camera down there ) had her call them & insist they come ( tomorrow ) & get their snake out and she told them if she had to have it dug & replaced & was not collapsed, she would see a lawyer about suing them for the toal cost ( about 9 k )
                  they are coming in the morning was not the rooter company
                  bob

Comment

Agree with all. $650 is very expensive around here, and I can't believe Ontario is more expensive than ski playland. $650 leaves a lot of room for me to get stuck, figure out why, get free if I can, understand the issue and give the homeowner good information on how to proceed.

I don't think though that you are getting the standard scam. If you were, you'd have been referred to a specific 'drain replacement guy'. I think you might just be the victim of a tech with inadequate knowledge.

He cannot know the line is collapsed with certainty without getting the water out of it so a camera can be effective and using a camera. Cables dont get stuck for no reason, but there are many possible reasons the cable is stuck and a collapsed line is only one possibility.

You need to get someone who knows what they are doing on site to evaluate the situation so you can make a plan to proceed. The guy you had is either an idiot or a scammer or both. Advise you make nice, don't pay 'till it comes out in the wash, right thing to do about paying, not paying, trying to sue for damages, etc will make itself clear once what is going on is understood and resolved.

The relining you mention may be an option, but not with a cable stuck and not with a collapsed line. Put the horse in front of the cart. Get someone who knows what they are doing and is honest and fair out there and understand the problem before proposing solutions.

Who do we know in Ontario? You could dig the whole yard up, replace the line, repave the street and relandscape the yard for what I'd have to charge you to drive out from CO.
                    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 11-09-2011, 01:30 AM.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Got a contact for you in Hamilton.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

again thanks all for the help / advice
                        they came yesterday & tried to get the snake out again ( no luck )
                        this company has said to get quotes to replace line & they will beat the best one by 10% for the trouble that was caused
                        daughter has got the city involved as there is a chance that damage was done a month ago when street was re-paved, but again they want a camera inspection first, and can't get one with a snake stuck in there
                        same reason she can't get another sewer cleaner in to look stuck snake
                        city is going to come & investigate & see what they can do, but looking more like it's going to get dug up & replaced & we'll figure out who is responsible for what after it's done LOL need a clear drain sooner rather than later
                        will post back & let you all know how it turns out
                        bob

Comment

A few questions ?

What kind of pipe ? cast clay pvc ?

Also what is the diameter of the cable ? also please take some pics of the cable and post them
                          Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                          1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by bobfeather View Post
                            this company has said to get quotes to replace line & they will beat the best one by 10% for the trouble that was caused
                            (GIANT RED FLAG)!!! Why would a company that does replace underground sewer lines tell you to call someone else? Then to only back it up with a 10% lower offer. OK, Merry Thanksgiving early...I offer to replace the line for $10. Let them put that in their cable and smoke it.

What year was the house built? and how many bathrooms? That may help to guess what pipe is down there.

Comment

Hi - this is Bob's daughter (the one with the drain/sewer issues) He gave me the website address so I could read through your comments and once I saw there were further questions I created a profile myself to reply directly.
                              The house was built approx. 1955. From what I have been told, the pipes are clay. Someone else that stopped by to look at the cable said it was 3 inches - I am not sure about that but I have attached a picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	0ff7822230a2abeca42b11730a739142.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	15668
                              We do have other people scheduled to come in to look at it, but without getting the cable out we are not sure how accurate of a quote/estimate we will be able to get.
                              Thank you,
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X