Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snaking problems when i get into shafts

Hello,

I hope somebody have a solution for my problems.

In older houses in Spain which do not have an air chamber or empty space down in the house, the main drain pipes are going in the floor into a shaftvor trap, i dont know the name which do not have any access to it.

I explain it better:

Drainpipe from 2 toiletts, kitchen, shower, washingmachine,etc go into a shaft and than from the shaft into the main drain on the street.

Normaly al of these pipes are 4".

So when I take my snake 7/8 cable i get stoped in the shaft which do not have access. and if i take the jetter the same problem.

Have any body a solution for this ( without digging and open the shaft in the floor) or did i am doing something wrong ?
    Last edited by spanien; 11-13-2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: 1

Re: snaking problems when i get into shafts

Pictures wouldnt be helpful .... Good luck seanny

Comment

what is the pipe? is it galvanized pipe with screw on 90 degree elbows that are blocking your progress, putting a bend in the first few inches of the cable some times helps to make a hard 90 degree turn,

describe the type of pipe and the fittings would give us a better idea of what your up against, not all places have use the same thing across the world,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

So the Pipes are PVC 4".

So the problem is when I get into the traps or manholes, which do not have any access.

Sometimes in Spain, they put concret over and than the tyles of the floor.

So I want to ask who I can go through this traps or manholes, My Cable and also the jetter stop their.

Comment

im with seanny a few pics might break the language barrier

Comment

Try putting a bend in the cable about 2 or 3 inches back from the cutter. If you can, run a camera and try to shake the cable or turn it by hand so that it goes the correct way.

I have no idea if that's helpful in your situation, but I've used my camera to watch as I used a flatrod to steer my cutter in the right direction through a Tee-Y that was put on backwards once.

Comment

I do not know how to explain it better.

But it is like a closed manhole where the drainpipes go together and than from their Only goes one to the street.

THe problem is that the snake or the jetter hose goes into the mainhole and not thru.

THe hose or the cable go into the manhole and inside the mainhole it is like you will reel the hose in the manhole.

Comment

I think I under stand your problem but I do not know how to help you,

the connections between pipes are like a small man hole and not an elbow and to get to the next pipe is not usually possible because of the lack of guidance because of the size of the "man hole".

if a person had a camera one may be able to use a string tided to the head of the jetter, to pull it around and guide it to the next pipe but one would need a camera to help see where to go, and it may still be a real trick to do it, I hope some one has some ideas to help you out,

I would think most on here would say we will have dig this up and put in a clean out, or access cover

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my guess is you have some thing like the picture below but it has been sealed over, with no access to it, is that correct?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BHD; 11-15-2011, 03:47 PM.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

@Bhd,

You are right, it is exactly what you are saying, this is my problem, and the picture is rally similar.

Could be that Rick or the others have some idea.

Comment

Can one can snake it from the other end (bottom end up to the man hole), (many times with jetting that is the better way to do it as you do not flood the area until you get open),

Another thing I could see is to locate it and open up the floor and either put in an elbow or piping so it can be snaked or to leave an access to the manhole to be able to snake from that location,

or If you could locate the line and find a location to add a clean out, (my guess would be a two way clean out so one can go up stream as well as down),

another possibility is a blow bag if there is not any other attaching drains that water would escape from, but I would be hesitant, as if you have thin covering over the man hole cover and put lest just say 30 psi of water pressure in the pipe/manhole. and the lid was 12" around that is 113 square inches and @ 30 psi you have a force of 3391 pounds lifting that lid, (or over a ton plus of pressure, metric or US), and could blow it off before opening the line,
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Can't you run a piece of 3" PVC with a 90 glued on and use that as a guide for your cables / jetter..Let me know if I'm even close ..
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X