Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jetter Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jetter Help

    I had read all I can in other threads about jetters. I do not have one right now. After reading, I decided on the KJ-3100.
    Last night, I visited my "sewer mentor" who has been in the biz for 30 years. I told him about my plans to buy a KJ-3100. He asked for the specs on it and I pulled them up on my iPhone.

    I have used his truck mounted jetter. I don't remember the exact specs but it does something like 14GPM. I really don't remember the PSI. But this thing makes quick work of roots.

    He tells me that if i buy the KJ-3100, I will be disapointed. He used jetters that did 4 and 5GPM and he says he doesn't like it. His recommendation is to go with truck mounted unit and get the most GPM and PSI possible. There are companies around here that build them for you. But the cost would be 30-40K or even more.

    So here are my concerns.
    -I really trust him. He has given me awesome advice over the passed 6 years. He is usually right. But should I really go from KJ-3100 to a truck unit?

    -I really like that the 3100 can be run by 1 man. His truck unit requires 2 men for some jobs.

    -The biggest lines I have to clean are 6 inch Clay.
    (If I get a truck mounted unit, I can try to get town contracts to jet their mains and manholes etc)

    -I am wondering if he has just been spoiled by having 14GPM. Is the 5.5 GPM on the 3100 really good enough for heavy roots in 6 inch clay?

    I am willing to spend the money if that's what I have to do. But is it worth it? Sewer cleaning is totally seperate from plumbing here. I'm 31.All the other owners of rival companies are in their 50's and I want to be THE #1 as these guys retire.
    What's your advice?
    EDIT: I also replace sewers. Every month I have to call a pressure washer truck to break up soil around 4 inch cast iron pipes under the basement footing of a house when we can't pull it out with the backhoe. They charge me $200 every time. Do you think I could use the KJ-3100 to do this?
    Thanks guys.

  • #2
    Re: Jetter Help

    The ridgid k-3100 with handle root packed 6" clay sewers very nicely! ! guaranteed. make sure u get a ROOT RANGER, i think it comes with it

    My cart jetter specs are 18hp 5.6gpm @ 3500psi i use a single and double barrel root ranger and have NO trouble in 6" clay sewers that are filled with roots

    most my residential sewers are 4" cast iron leading to 6" clay pipe and i do very well with my set up any thing bigger and i would warrant the trailer jett, but most my work is residential and i love my set up

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Jetter Help

      I just checked out a KJ 3100 at AJ Coleman in Chicago...Its a very nice machine...I agree it will be well suited for residental work with the Root Ranger....Then as the years go by and your business grows step up to the next level if thats in your business plan... The KJ 3100 will never be obsolete & with a Root Ranger it will always be a viable tool that you will get years of service out of.... To me the way I see it is, be patient and as the business grows and your needs change ajust...It's been said here before start with what you can afford and work your way up...as for me I have a 24 HP jetter and a Root Ranger and it works great for me..I do not ever see myself going to a larger unit... But for other guys the 18 GMP @ 4000k machines make them a bunch of money... So get a business plan, set goals, and see how you do... But for a fellow with little experience jetting and a new company just starting out that KJ 3100 is an excellant choice...Tom

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Jetter Help

        right on the button magic touch a root ranger with the kj3100 will do a very nice job on roots in 6'' pipe.

        it took me years to step up to the monster 18/ 4000# us jetter. still have and use my 18hp. 5.6 gpm 3500# machine from 15 years back.

        actually contemplating buying another us jetter with similar specs. i can sell my 6 year old machine for 50% of the cost of the new machine presently at 44,000

        uncle sam would be happy to give me a nice write off.

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Jetter Help

          thanks guys. I think Im gonna stick with the kj-3100 plan. My friend is probably just a little spoiled with his 14GPM setup. Plus the 3100 wont require me to pull my sole employee off of his van to help me. he was using the 5GPM setup like 10-15 years ago. Maybe they have made better heads since then.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Jetter Help

            Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
            The ridgid k-3100 with handle root packed 6" clay sewers very nicely! ! guaranteed. make sure u get a ROOT RANGER, i think it comes with it

            My cart jetter specs are 18hp 5.6gpm @ 3500psi i use a single and double barrel root ranger and have NO trouble in 6" clay sewers that are filled with roots

            most my residential sewers are 4" cast iron leading to 6" clay pipe and i do very well with my set up any thing bigger and i would warrant the trailer jett, but most my work is residential and i love my set up
            the biggest I clean are 6 inch sewers. The writeup on the kj-3100 says 2-10 inch lines. So that's a stretch? My buddy thought there was no way it cleans anything more than a 6 inch sewer

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Jetter Help

              So much depends on nozzle selection. Like everyone else has said, with a Root Ranger you will be able to handle roots well. If your "mentor" wasn't using the proper nozzle for roots back when he was running smaller jets, he probably was disappointed, but that's not the fault of the machine. Maybe he just hadn't taken the time to educate himself on how to get what he needed out of his machine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Jetter Help

                Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
                So much depends on nozzle selection. Like everyone else has said, with a Root Ranger you will be able to handle roots well. If your "mentor" wasn't using the proper nozzle for roots back when he was running smaller jets, he probably was disappointed, but that's not the fault of the machine. Maybe he just hadn't taken the time to educate himself on how to get what he needed out of his machine.
                That's what I thought too. They probably didn't have the right nozzle.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Jetter Help

                  Originally posted by DukeSewer View Post
                  the biggest I clean are 6 inch sewers. The writeup on the kj-3100 says 2-10 inch lines. So that's a stretch? My buddy thought there was no way it cleans anything more than a 6 inch sewer
                  It is a stretch on the 10".
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Jetter Help

                    Most of it relies on knowing your limitations. Also the critical point is nozzel selection. We have Little Billy over here to help us out. I must say though bought a new nozzel, looks like a step drill and am not ove rthe top impressed. Work within your comfort zone and do what your gut tells you is right. Our problem is all our "toys" are big and expensive. no good having 50K sitting around not making money. I dont jet every day but them agin I cost a bit more than others. I choose what I do and make a quid every time. Save and invest when you have the bucks, dont over extend before your time. Learn from the guys around here and you will be heads above the hacks.................!!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Jetter Help

                      I have the Kj3100 and love it. Will clean 4" lines as good as a bigger unit. Get the root ranger and it will destroy roots also. Not sure about 6" and how good it would work. But for a machine that one person can load into a van and run by yourself it will make you some good money!
                      You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Jetter Help

                        Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
                        I have the Kj3100 and love it. Will clean 4" lines as good as a bigger unit. Get the root ranger and it will destroy roots also. Not sure about 6" and how good it would work. But for a machine that one person can load into a van and run by yourself it will make you some good money!
                        Thanks. Nice to hear from someone who owns one.

                        I'm gonna go with the 3100. The price difference between it and a trailer or truck unit plus the fact that I would need a 2nd man on that truck/trailer are huge factors. It's very nice to hear that it can handle 4-6 inch lines which is all I do.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X