Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: house explosion!!!

Originally posted by mbhydro View Post
    Here in Winnipeg because of the frost line burial requirements , the city finds water mains through the top third of sewer lines from when the directional boring machine slews a littler deeper before recovering. I don't think I have ever heard of them finding a gas line in a sewer.
    In Regina, the sewers are 6-10 feet down and gas is 2-3 feet. And the sewers come out the front of the house and the gas comes in from the back.
    Congrats on the Jets

Comment

Your lucky if all the gas pipes are in the back lane, here in Winnipeg its a free for all depending on what decade gas was put in the area. We have them in the back lanes, the boulevards and in the street right of way it self. And the depths vary as well but most times above the frost line. Its usually the smaller directional boring contractors doing telephone/CATV , traffic signals and electrical lines that hit the gas lines.

If your doing any digging or pipe pushing you are well advised to get locates done so you don't go push through something you may regret.

There is at least one major directional boring contractor I see using a hydro vac rig to daylight all the gas locates that cross his intended path just to make sure of their pipe depth.

Comment

The Gas company here hired a guy to run a camera in all the sewer lines in certain neighborhoods. They found 6 gas lines through the abs the with cables the camera guy has found 14 more.

Comment

we had a house blow up here recently bad gas line install but that got them spooked into redoing a lot of lines, tomorrow I go to jet a trailers parks sewers (3 are clogged about a city block long) anyway the gas company now hires a camera company ( not me darn) to locate all the sewers on big jobs before new installs, camera company said the cant get thru the sewers to document them get a jetter guy out here, that's me lol
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

God damn you guys really have to be on your toes. With the advent of DIY comes the trouble. Mind you we have suppliers who dont give a monkeys who they sell their equipment to just as long as you have money. So we learn through trial and error. Now just to add to this I have just been sent a flyer for one of my hire outlets here. They are now renting out jetting machines. Run at 300psi with a couple of heads this is going to be interesting. We have for years had the Ridgid 1500s hired out and god knows what damage has occured. Hope we never see the likes of what you guys are seeing here but then again I cant wait for Mr Cheap and Nasty Homeowner losing a finger or other because he thought he could do better than us. Go baby go.....!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
              God damn you guys really have to be on your toes. With the advent of DIY comes the trouble. Mind you we have suppliers who dont give a monkeys who they sell their equipment to just as long as you have money. So we learn through trial and error. Now just to add to this I have just been sent a flyer for one of my hire outlets here. They are now renting out jetting machines. Run at 300psi with a couple of heads this is going to be interesting. We have for years had the Ridgid 1500s hired out and god knows what damage has occured. Hope we never see the likes of what you guys are seeing here but then again I cant wait for Mr Cheap and Nasty Homeowner losing a finger or other because he thought he could do better than us. Go baby go.....!!
              Renting out a big rodder to a homeowner, is like renting out a 1911 45 !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'd take a different look at this 'problem' and turn it into 'dollars'. Why not do a letter box flyer to all the areas the Gas Co have run new lines and tell the home owners what the Gas Co has told you. Add a picture of the house explosion and get you camera ready!
                Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Simple suggestion hey Bill. However down here if we started doing this we would be shut down by the different Company solicitors. These mongrels can make mistakes and get away with murder, and lets face it there is a case for this as they hires the lowest priced contractor without checking credentials, all in the name of it is their asset. We have rules for us and different ones for them. Of course if we stuff up they take our license, if they do nothing is allowed to be said.

Comment

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
                    I'd take a different look at this 'problem' and turn it into 'dollars'. Why not do a letter box flyer to all the areas the Gas Co have run new lines and tell the home owners what the Gas Co has told you. Add a picture of the house explosion and get you camera ready!
                    Thats all good for making money
                    But if i ran a water line through a gas line .
                    i would be responsible they just want to pass the cost to the homeowner for their mistake

Comment

Working...
                    X