house explosion!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• house explosion!!!

this happened last week in chicago @ 66th keating.the home owner was power rodding his sewer line, he heard a loud whoosh!! the next thing you know.. no more house. what happened was the all around the south side of chicago the gas company has been re-placing all the gas mains and house branches. a subcontractor ran a gas line right thru the house sewer line.the home owner cut the gas line with a root cutter and gas filled up in his basement and was ignited by ether the water heaters pilot or the furnaces pilot.
    Attached Files

Re: house explosion!!!

so who gets blamed on this? The plumber clearing a line or the gas company drilling through a sewer line?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

gas co's around the nation have been sending out warning notices to plumbers for the last year. i've received a couple and even a phone call.

i hit one approx 10 years ago with my 7500. cut it and it was hissing. called the gas company and even camered the line to locate it for them.

homeowner was covered for the repair and all their stoppage calls for the 5 years prior. this was my first trip there and the others over 5 years never damaged the 1/2'' hdpe line.

the utility companies should have a record of all the trenchless bores they've done and should go at their expense to either notify each property and camera the lines for free.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        so who gets blamed on this? The plumber clearing a line or the gas company drilling through a sewer line?
        Subcontracto's insurance is going to suck it up.Gas co. will have to pay a bit.
        I cannot see the homeowner being responsible, all he was doing nothing but trying to clear his drain.

Comment

what are they using to run the gas lines one of those air torpedos
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

The guy made it out alive ?

Comment

Originally posted by SEWERRAT66 View Post
              this happened last week in chicago @ 66th keating.the home owner was power rodding his sewer line, he heard a loud whoosh!! the next thing you know.. no more house. what happened was the all around the south side of chicago the gas company has been re-placing all the gas mains and house branches. a subcontractor ran a gas line right thru the house sewer line.the home owner cut the gas line with a root cutter and gas filled up in his basement and was ignited by ether the water heaters pilot or the furnaces pilot.
              I hope they don't cut a check for the NEW deflated zillow house value ?
              How come I locate their gas line and they don't locate My sewer line ?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

the home owner made it out alive. he was doing his own sewer cleaning.the gas line was installed only a few days before this happened. the gas co. is going to camera all the sewer lines on this block to make sure no other sewer lines were bored thru.

Comment

NiCor (our gas company in the suburbs of Chicago) contacted me a little while back wanting me to bid televising the sewer mains and all laterals on the blocks that they had recently did directional boring. Sadly I had to pass on the bid since I did not have a camera system that can televise from a city main then go up a lateral.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  Ron's Facebook
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Yep... pneumatic moles. Gas companies and subs are being much more careful now a days but it still happens more frequently than ya would like to think. Pneumatic boring is an incredible time saver though. new tech is making it safer every day.

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                    what are they using to run the gas lines one of those air torpedos

Comment

Around me it's directional boring (nice perfect hole through the sewer) or air moles to get the gas lines installed. This has bothered me for a few years now since I saw my first one in a sewer. I do three hail Mary's before I start homeowners ask why? "are you praying to get the clog?" "no I am hoping to not strike a gas line bored through the sewer" Customer leaves basement quickly and goes up stairs lol.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        NiCor (our gas company in the suburbs of Chicago) contacted me a little while back wanting me to bid televising the sewer mains and all laterals on the blocks that they had recently did directional boring. Sadly I had to pass on the bid since I did not have a camera system that can televise from a city main then go up a lateral.

You probably dodged a bullet. What if you missed seeing one??? You know who their gonna come after
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Here in Winnipeg because of the frost line burial requirements , the city finds water mains through the top third of sewer lines from when the directional boring machine slews a littler deeper before recovering. I don't think I have ever heard of them finding a gas line in a sewer.

Comment

Dont think it cant happen to you because it can. Here`s one we hit with a K-7500 but we lived to dig it up and tell the story.
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I've never run a ditch witch or done directional boring. how the hell did they manage to do this?

Twice last year, I got called out to a mudjacking company who filled a sewer full of grout or whatever they use.

Comment

Working...
                              X