X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid k-380 drain machine help

hi guys new to the forum i need some help. have a 380 machine that i bought from a retired plumber who said he didn't use it ten times, looks brand new. the problem is that the cable is hard to pull out and the auto feed wont pull it out to work right. It sat for a couple years in a garage and is not rusty. I pulled all the cable out and inspected it with no kinks etc. does anyone know what i should do next. i called ridgid and they say i have a cable or throat problem. i would believe this if the machine was tore up but it looks new. thanks shane

Re: ridgid k-380 drain machine help

If you have the power feed on the machine, the bearings in the power feed maybe pressed against the cable, and maybe making it very hard to pull the cable out of the machine, with out loosing the tension on the bearings, and yet if the tension is not enough it will not feed in or out very well, (and I think the only adjustment on that power feed is the push on the handle and I do not remember any tension adjustment),
    the power feed in my opinion leaves some to be desired on the K380, I would remove the power feed and see if that is what is causing the cable feeding problems.
    they hand feed very easy, wear some leather gloves, (NOT RUBBER), if you want put on some latex type gloves under the leather gloves for keeping your hands clean,
    manual at link below,
    http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/F60293F...achine_Man.pdf

NOTE: if you have a root problem, the K380 is not the machine for the job, there is a good chance if you get into a root infestation you may have the cable flip in the sewer pipe, or get stuck in the roots,
    Last edited by BHD; 11-26-2011, 08:30 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      If you have the power feed on the machine, the bearings in the power feed maybe pressed against the cable, and maybe making it very hard to pull the cable out of the machine, with out loosing the tension on the bearings, and yet if the tension is not enough it will not feed in or out very well, (and I think the only adjustment on that power feed is the push on the handle and I do not remember any tension adjustment),
      the power feed in my opinion leaves some to be desired on the K380, I would remove the power feed and see if that is what is causing the cable feeding problems.
      they hand feed very easy, wear some leather gloves, (NOT RUBBER), if you want put on some latex type gloves under the leather gloves for keeping your hands clean,
      manual at link below,
      http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/F60293F...achine_Man.pdf

NOTE: if you have a root problem, the K380 is not the machine for the job, there is a good chance if you get into a root infestation you may have the cable flip in the sewer pipe, or get stuck in the roots,
      I have a k-375 and flipped My 3/8 cable. Don't run it in a 4" line!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

thanks for the advice guys. the power feed operates perfect grabs the cable perfect forward and reverse except that the cable pulls so hard out of the drum. the autofeed won't even pull it an inch. any other help?

Comment

Pull the cable all the way out by hand. Let the auto feed pull it back in the drum. Then try again

Comment

havn't tried that yet. when i pulled the cable all the way out to clean and lubricate it is still very hard to push back in. maybe its that way for sitting that long. is it possible it winds up backwards thanks guys

Comment

could check that the guide tube is free and working correctly,
              http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/k380.pdf
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
              X