X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalagtites in shower drain

Yeah this bath remodel was done a few years ago. The ceramic tiles in the shower base were never sealed. I snaked this drain out about 7-8 monts ago. This trip when I pulled the grate and noticed the same issue out came the vac.I took my trusty "bucket head" and shoved a piece of 3/4" pvc sheared off on a 45 into the factory hose (fits like a glove)and went to vaccin'. I was able to use the sheared end of the pvc to chisel the stalagtites and keep them from flowing further into the drain. So sometimes I think the vac is the deal.Told the homeowner that was the best $20 I ever spent in my life..Now please seal your tile!
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Stalagtites in shower drain

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    Yeah this bath remodel was done a few years ago. The ceramic tiles in the shower base were never sealed. I snaked this drain out about 7-8 monts ago. This trip when I pulled the grate and noticed the same issue out came the vac.I took my trusty "bucket head" and shoved a piece of 3/4" pvc sheared off on a 45 into the factory hose (fits like a glove)and went to vaccin'. I was able to use the sheared end of the pvc to chisel the stalagtites and keep them from flowing further into the drain. So sometimes I think the vac is the deal.Told the homeowner that was the best $20 I ever spent in my life..Now please seal your tile!

stalactite - definition of stalactite by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Comment

stalagmite?
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

ive always wondered why in tile showers the buildup forms around the drain and clogs it like an atery.

what part of the unsealed tile causes this buildup to form? is it grout or what?

Comment

seems to affect about 10% of my shower drains. both tile and granite / marble.

i too use the bucket head. but my pipe of choice is a 1.5'' rough brass slip joint 90 x 16'' long. the brass cuts the crud good and the 90 on my end prevents the tubing from falling into the drain by accident

i'm under the impression it's from soaps and cleansers.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X