sectional snake stuck in drain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sectional snake stuck in drain

Is there anyone out there who has experience in retrieving 7/8 cable that is extremely stuck and broke off 5ft inside the clean out. Looking for the best method of retrieval.

Re: sectional snake stuck in drain

is the line still plugged up and holding water?

how much cable is in the drain?

the first thing that needs to be done is clear the stoppage. as long as the cable hasn't flipped and wound on itself, it should free up once the stoppage is cleared. i'm assuming you got caught up in roots.

a jetter is a safe way to clear the roots and not get wound up in the sectional cable. once cleared and flowing, the cable should be free. a retrieving auger would then be used to hook the back end of the broken cable. once hooked, it should drag out.

of course if a camera can be used to see the cable and problem, then that's even a safer way to prevent a second cable from getting caught.

the worst scenario is to dig up the line where the cable is stuck.

good luck and continue to fill us in for more help.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Sadly you are not alone, I also ahve gotten mine stuck, some really bad, and other times just temporary. I have not had to dig one up yet, if its a root mass I use a ton of soap and the last time 3 guys were able to pull it out.

Another time I used my van to get it out. The k-60 is worthless when it binds up, it just acts like a self feeder and/ or slips.

I have far better luck getting a drum machine out becuase with a drum machine you can at least work the cable free.

Good luck.
      Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

If your in Dearborn MI, and still stuck I am in 48150 have camera,retrievers PM me

Comment

Originally posted by tgonz72016 View Post
          Is there anyone out there who has experience in retrieving 7/8 cable that is extremely stuck and broke off 5ft inside the clean out. Looking for the best method of retrieval.
          Hey man, was wondering if you ever got that thing out?
          Gotta let us know how these things turn out, ya know! Ha.

Comment

after literally thousands of k-60 uses and miles upon miles of snaking with the 7/8'' clearing lines from outside, inside, under homes and rooftops, i've only been stuck 2 times. considering 75% of it's use is for root stoppages.

1 time was in a plastic styrene area drain line that the cable found its way out of the junk non glued, non directional fitting and made it's way into the soil and roots. had to dig and repair the already junk pipe.

the other time was on a 4'' long run and all the stars were aligned. i managed to have the cable turn around in a 4'' comby riser and double back approx 20'. had to dig up the comby to remove the cable.

not bad considering 1 was my fault and 1 was a pipe material issue. so if i only did 1000 lines, i'd be batting .998 batting average. since i know i've done over a thousand lines, i'll give myself a .999 batting average which is considered a hall of famer

this is what makes the k-60 the best all around machine money can buy.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              after literally thousands of k-60 uses and miles upon miles of snaking with the 7/8'' clearing lines from outside, inside, under homes and rooftops, i've only been stuck 2 times. considering 75% of it's use is for root stoppages.

1 time was in a plastic styrene area drain line that the cable found its way out of the junk non glued, non directional fitting and made it's way into the soil and roots. had to dig and repair the already junk pipe.

the other time was on a 4'' long run and all the stars were aligned. i managed to have the cable turn around in a 4'' comby riser and double back approx 20'. had to dig up the comby to remove the cable.

not bad considering 1 was my fault and 1 was a pipe material issue. so if i only did 1000 lines, i'd be batting .998 batting average. since i know i've done over a thousand lines, i'll give myself a .999 batting average which is considered a hall of famer

this is what makes the k-60 the best all around machine money can buy.

rick.

Really............

Comment

Had some close calls but never had a cable stuck yet. I use the k60 all the time . Mostly with the 7/8" cables. Most of the stoppages I encounter are 100' or less. If I were to ever get stuck I would probably grab the 1500 with the retriever head and another person to help with the pull .Or put the 7/8' jaws in the 1500 if there is enough cable sticking out and try that way..Good luck . Keep us posted
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                  Really............
                  please post photos of every different location you've used your drum machine. from rooftop, to under house, in cramped spots, to upstairs and downstairs. up and down ladders to on top of a ladder with it strapped on.

ps. i've already posted those over the years.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I got stuck once with my K-75a and it wasn't roots that caused the problem. The pipe was SDR35, and the sewer line was installed all wrong, and we had to dig.

Comment

Originally posted by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc. View Post
                      The k-60 is worthless when it binds up, it just acts like a self feeder and/ or slips.
                      Good luck.
                      So, I am not alone with my thinking
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        please post photos of every different location you've used your drum machine. from rooftop, to under house, in cramped spots, to upstairs and downstairs. up and down ladders to on top of a ladder with it strapped on.

ps. i've already posted those over the years.

rick.
                        Do you really wanna to go there Rick
                        ps. i've already posted those over the years

Rick likes this face so I use it a lot ---- >
                        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-12-2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                          Do you really wanna to go there Rick
                          ps. i've already posted those over the years

Rick likes this face so I use it a lot ---- >
                          you posted 1 photo of a plastic pipe up to the roof. show me some photos of everything i've posted. show me a machine on a rooftop that can clear stoppages in a 6'' main with roots. under a house, on a ladder, in tight access.

i've posted hundreds, lets see more than 1 of the same photo.

the photos you posted were of broken cables and equipment. from connectors to retrievers to bearings, to feeders. that's why you joined the forum in the first place.

seems like you check in every 6 months to stir the pot. add something useful that we might learn from.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

cat in the hat plumber

I can clear a drain
                            I can clear a main
                            on the roof
                            on the ladder
                            doesn't matter

run that snake
                            down the stack
                            know I'll never
                            talk no smack

under a house
                            with a mouse
                            heck I even
                            work my spouse

thick and gooey
                            looks real oohhyy
                            and the smell
                            think it's poohy

pipes with roots
                            toilets with poots
                            with my trumpet
                            I blow toots

with a jetter
                            you'll get wetter
                            clearing pipes
                            never felt better

my cables stuck
                            what the fu**
                            tug and pull
                            still no luck

I tried cabling
                            I tried drumming
                            it's all just
                            messed up plumbing

moan and groan
                            get a loan
                            camera and cable
                            willing and able
                            busted wallet
                            broken tools
                            we are all
                            just Ridgid fools

OOHHH the drama

Comment

Rick, My helper had to use the K-60 a few days while I waited on parts. Have you ever seen a grown man cry? When I said "Well you still have the K-60 to use" I thought he was gonna walk off the job. Yes, the K7500`s seem to be broken down all the time anymore but I would rather keep repairing them than have to use the K-60 and I`m pretty sure my helper feels the same way because as soon as I say the K-7500 is fixed I can smell burning rubber. Seems he`d rather use the drum machine than the K-60...hummmm wonder why? I`ll tell em to check in and let him tell you his story of what he thinks of the K-60 but till then you can view this video
                              All Clear (all ways willing to stir the pot) Sewer

Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X