Steel nuts in PVC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel nuts in PVC

I've got a stoppage in a 2" PVC stack for a powder room lav that looks like there was a bag of steel nuts dropped into the pipe maybe during construction in the past. They hung up in the 1/4 bend at base and have oxidized or rusted into a pretty solid mass. There were a couple of pieces on the downstream side that clued us in as to what is looks to be. We've hammered this with K-60 with different heads, jetted, still not breaking it up. Wondering if anyone has any ideas. We've thought about acid possibly, but not too familiar with what might work there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Steel nuts in PVC

Interesting blockage. I'm just a BB gun in front of all the heavy artillery on here, so I'll just wait for the big guns to give their opinions.

Comment

2'' pvc doesn't leave too much room for cutters. i would think that the nuts have not stuck to the plastic, but to eachother.

what cutter are you using on the k-60? are you trying a 4 blade cutter and 7/8'' cable?

a jetter will only try to pull it back and not push it forward on 2''.

does the camera have a chance of pushing it to a cleanout opening and then a shop vac to suck them out?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        2'' pvc doesn't leave too much room for cutters. i would think that the nuts have not stuck to the plastic, but to eachother.

what cutter are you using on the k-60? are you trying a 4 blade cutter and 7/8'' cable?

does the camera have a chance of pushing it to a cleanout opening and then a shop vac to suck them out?

rick.
        Hey Rick,

I agree that they are probably not stuck to the plastic. It's really odd though, water is holding above pretty well, so they have solidified themselves into a good solid mass. I've not tried the 4 head cutter yet. Was afraid it would get torn up. I'm confident if I can get them to break at all, I could get them out. Problem is figuring out how to do that at this point.

Comment

How about this. Get some earth magnets and attach them to the end of the snake and see if you can't grab the blockage and pull it out?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
            Hey Rick,

Agree that they're probably not stuck to the plastic. But they are bundled up pretty good. They are holding water. I need to break them up, can't budge them the way they are now. Haven't tried the 4 head yet. Was afraid to tearing it up. Yes, 7/8 cable.

Comment

What about cutting the stack just above floor level, this will shorten the distance to the blockage. Then I would take an old rod cut to the proper length to reach the blockage + 8" or so. This would be the biggest rod that could make the 1/4 bend turn, 1/2" or maybe 5/8" depending on the rod stiffness. Now you are able to hammer on the end of the rod to try and break the rust deposit apart, then pull it out with a magnet or flush it to the main.
              I was on a reno job in a shopping mall last year, with in a week of the tenant moving in the main drain plugged. After clearing the drain it plugged again in about a week. Put the camera in and seen that during construction a sprinkler head with chrome flange got into the 6" line and had worked it way down the line about 80 feet. Pulled out the camera, took a coat hanger wire, wrapped it around the camera head with a hook out in front of the camera head. Put the camera back in, hooked on to the sprinkler head and put it back out of the drain 80 feet. No problems since then.
              For every problem there's always a solution, just don't let your competition be the solution to your customers problem!

Comment

Muriatic acid will dissolve the corrosion holding the mass together if it's in a spot where the acid can sit on it a while.
                "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Take a new can of liquid wrench, with a cloth over top Peirce the can with an awl , to let out gas out.
                  Pour the contents down the stack. Tell the folks to not use that fixture for a day.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Take a new can of liquid wrench, with a cloth over top Peirce the can with an awl , to let out gas out.
                    Pour the contents down the stack. Tell the folks to not use that fixture for a day.
                    Why not just buy a regular can of Liquid Wrench? No gas.
                    Just asking

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                      Why not just buy a regular can of Liquid Wrench? No gas.
                      Just asking
                      Have You EVER seen a Marine do anything easy?
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Have You EVER seen a Marine do anything easy?
                        If I recall correctly, there is only two ways to do anything, the easy way and the Marine Corps way.
                        I stand corrected.
                        Carry on with your Aerosol Attack.

SF

Comment

Silly question, Have you tried a retriever? I have a few that I have opened up for specialty grabs. Do you have access to a sewer camera so you can watch your work?
                          Sometimes you just gotta jackhammer.... ( Here is a line locate I did yesterday, perfect hit)

Comment

I cannot believe they are so stuck to that you cannot break them loose. Maybe not from each other, but at least from the wall of the pvc pipe. Cast iron or galvanized I'd buy that they are stuck to the wall hard, but not pvc. Once loose, I'd get the wad flopping around in there trying to break them off one at a time until I could push it through or pull it back to somewhere I could get it.

I wonder if you need something with more torque capability to bust it off the pipe?
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                              I cannot believe they are so stuck to that you cannot break them loose. Maybe not from each other, but at least from the wall of the pvc pipe. Cast iron or galvanized I'd buy that they are stuck to the wall hard, but not pvc. Once loose, I'd get the wad flopping around in there trying to break them off one at a time until I could push it through or pull it back to somewhere I could get it.

I wonder if you need something with more torque capability to bust it off the pipe?

Drum roll please............................

Comment

Working...
                              X