X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody ever use a chain knocker?

I have a 4" drain in a school that has at least 90' of about 1/2" - 1" buildup on the bottom of the pipe. It looks like cement or mortar. A rented cart jetter would break off chunks, but it took for ever. My K-500 was able to power thru a huge buildup, bit the c-cutter doesn't scrape the bottom of the pipe clean. I was wondering if a chain knocker would work.

Re: anybody ever use a chain knocker?

Had a similiar problem last year. Tile guys dumped leftover grout down the rear areaway drain. At first, he denied it, then said he ran lots of water to flush it down. Well all it did was spread it out over twenty feet of cast iron. Jetter with root ranger nozzle wouldn't flake off some of the heavier chunks. The store-bought knockers are spendy so I made a homemade version with a couple of links of chain. Welded them onto a broken worm head I had laying around. Tough getting it through a 3" trap and had to run the snake and camera at the same time to see what was going on in there but it worked. Still had to run the jetter afterwards to wash the big pieces away. As much time and effort I spent on doing all this I should have just dug it up and replaced the pipe. A sectional machine is more effective with chain knockers than a drum.

Comment

i too made one for a 1.25'' cable on a 6'' line with trap. also from cement at newly built dog pounds

i bolted on the links to a flat plate on the 1.25'' connector so i could add or remove links. used the timberwolf to spin the cable and chain.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

This is a 4" line with cleanout access. I have a K-500 with 180' of 1-1/4" cable. I saw a chain knocker on ebay for 90 bucks.

Comment

Are chain knockers good for busting up scale in cast iron?

Comment

I have used chain knockers with great success.

I had a job where they ran 4" cast iron from the house to the park way. The line was about 100' long and the city televised the line and informed the home owner all the cast had to be replaced. The owner called me in for an estimate, I said let me try the chain knocker if it doesn't help no charge, but if it does then he pays my bill, and saves tone of cash. After a couple of hours I ran the chain knocker through the line and the city televised the line and was amazed that the line looked like it was brand new.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              I have used chain knockers with great success.

I had a job where they ran 4" cast iron from the house to the park way. The line was about 100' long and the city televised the line and informed the home owner all the cast had to be replaced. The owner called me in for an estimate, I said let me try the chain knocker if it doesn't help no charge, but if it does then he pays my bill, and saves tone of cash. After a couple of hours I ran the chain knocker through the line and the city televised the line and was amazed that the line looked like it was brand new.

What did you use to drive the chain knocker ?

Comment

Working...
              X