Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
New Gas Co. warning: Be carefull of Nat. gas mains running through sewers! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gas Co. warning: Be carefull of Nat. gas mains running through sewers!

I picked up a pamphlet at my local supply house the other day that warns plumbers to be cautious when drain cleaning because the Gas Co. with some of their "trenchless" gas pipe might have bored through residential sewer mains. So, when I fire up the big boy Gorlitz with root cutting teeth on it I'm supposed to know that its a plastic pe gas pipe and not just everyday roots! I would not even know what to do if I ruptured a high pressure gas main that would immediately engulf the home with flammable gas through every fixture drain in the house. The worst I have run into was a fiber optic line that penetrated through a clay sewer line and partially collapsed it.

Re: New Gas Co. warning: Be carefull of Nat. gas mains running through sewers!

where have you been hiding

this has been an ongoing discussion for the last month and i've brought it up years ago too.

gas co. wants us to be their eyes and ears and find their screw ups.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thankfully we don't have this problem in SE Pennsylvania cause our sewers are much deeper than the gas line.

Comment

I guess I've been out of the loop for awhile, Rick. Life has drifted my away from this fine forum of mutual information. I promise to visit more often!

Comment

Because of gas lines being possible changing ones style may be needed.
          1. Start with a small 4 blade (arrow type) bit to get the line drained down.
          2. Inspect drained down line with camera to see cause of blockage. And make decision what is needed next.
          3. Possible switch to larger cutter blades if nothing found (gas line, fiber optics, power)
          4. Possible switch to jetting

All costing the customer more based on the tools needed and amount of labor added.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

We had a problem a couple years ago where new electric lines were bored in a neighborhood. We were called to snake a sewer and came to a dead stop. Our camera guy (thanks Vance G) told us right where to start digging and discovered a 2.5 inch conduit running right up the sewer for several feet. Lucky we didn't break through that conduit or would most likely be dead. The morons had to have known what they did because there was an elbow glued on right where it exited the sewer.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the gas co to send me a free camera so i can do their job while i do mine.

Comment

Here in Seattle the gas company is contracting out sewer inspections to mark path and depth now before new installs. Funny how now that is apart of the install plan and not before!
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                X