X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic D-Box Repair

I am not sure where to post this so it's going in here. My father in law had standing water in his yard from his septic tank. I went over and located the d-box and dug it up and gladly I found it was just a clogged outlet line from the tank and not a failed drain field. The D- box was cracked and piece of the concrete near the top between two of the pipes broke off. I was thinking about putting some grout in there and using to repair the broken piece. I don't think he needs a whole new d-box. What do you guys think?

Re: Septic D-Box Repair

Grout will not work. Go to Lowes or HD & get some 2-part expoxy that is the concrete aisle. I would just put a new D-box in they are cheap.

Comment

hydraulic cement and walk away.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

hydraulic cement and walk away x 2.

Comment

Maybe I misread the OP's Post. The way I read it was a piece broke off the top of the box not in the side. Hyrdaulic cement will not work to bond 2 pieces of concrete together, because it does not have enough bonding strength to hold them together. If it is a hole in the side hyrdaulic cement is the way to go. Hydraulic cement does have enough bonding strength for this, because it gets it's bonding strength by expanding as it sets.

Comment

Yeah sorry it's on the side not on the top. Where it broke is like a puzzle piece it fits back together really well it just needs some way to bond it. I am going to go with the hydrolic cement and see how that works. Thanks guys I appreciate the help. If I have time I will post some pics.

Comment

If the hole is in the side clean all the broken pieces out & throw them away. Then fill the hole with hydraulic cement. The hydraulic cement will not bond the pieces together.

Comment

No offense here, but if this is a hack repair (we all do it once in a while, don't feel bad) expanding foam such as Great Stuff has excellent bonding properties and also is waterproof. Two-piece concrete tanks are often sealed together with expanding foam and the bond is strong enough that once it is cured you can lift an entire 1000 gallon tank by the lifting hooks on the lid. We use it to seal concrete and poly risers to septic tanks, seal the pipe penetration of the tank, etc. If the pieces fit together really nice just clean them up really really good and put a little bead of foam on the edges and piece them back together. It is imperative that you use a hard (closed cell) foam. The cans labeled "minimum expansion" or "For Windows and Doors" are open cell foam and remain soft after curing and do not have much strength. Use Great Stuff Gaps and Cracks, not the Big Gap Filler, if you decide to try this, as it expands less.

Just one more idea.

Comment

Working...
                X