X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable End Repair

I have 1/2" HC cable and a 5/16" IC cable that I need to put new ends on.

I'm wondering who has done this before, what they used--screw inside or screw on outside, and what brand repair ends they used. And where's the best place to get them.

Lastly, did you also tack them on with a welder? I've heard of this being done, but I would think it would mess up the spring steel of the cable.

Thank you.

John

Re: Cable End Repair

I have welded with lasting sucess . Fast Mig 2 tacks. Trick is enough heat for proper fusion , and fast. I am a welder
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What kind of cable is it. There a ends for most but if you want to use your heads you must get the correct repair end. Some go on with no welds others must be welded marvin

Comment

We have a welder do it for us all the time the cable will break before the weld does, depending on the weld...

Comment

I don't know the brand of the 1/2" cable. It's from an old machine I bought used. Could be an old Electric Eeli.
          I went in the shop today to remove the old drop head. I think it was soldered on, could have been lead or ???? but I was able to use my Mapp torch to get it off. It did not screw on either. Anyone seen this before?

My 5/16" is a Spartan

My only concern with the welding was taking the strength out of the end of the cable that gets hot. But I can see tacking it with a Mig quick should be okay.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MEP View Post
            We have a welder do it for us all the time the cable will break before the weld does, depending on the weld...

...........scratching my head having a hard time understanding that one..................

lol !!!

Comment

My main concern was the heat of the weld taking the temper out of the cable and compromising its strength. I would think the Mig tacking should work. I just took the old drop head off the cable and it was soldered?? on. My Mapp torch got it hot enough to melt whatever was used. But the cable got red hot. This would compromise the cable end for sure.

John

Comment

I don`t repair my cables as it is too risking I throw them away there is nothing worse than loosing one down a drain and trying to get it out and if not having to dig

Tony

Comment

Maybe this will help: from Spartan tool instruction book

Step Five: Since the coupling and the wire in the cable are of high carbon steel, a special welding
                  process is required. Before welding, use a propane torch to preheat the area where the weld will be.
                  Hold the torch 4-5” away from the metal surface and heat for 2 minutes. Immediately, weld with an arc
                  welder, using 3/32” diameter unit rod #70 or equivalent chromium-stainless steel rod. Use a heat
                  range of 90-100 amps. Be sure weld bead is 1/8” wide and 1/2” long, where each wire end contacts
                  the coupling.
                  After welding, it will be necessary to stress relieve the welded area. Again, using a propane torch
                  holding 4-5” away from metal surface, heat up to approximately 5 minutes. Allow to cool and cable
                  will be ready for use.
                  NOTE: Never heat the cable to a cherry red color. This indicates too high a temperature and will weaken the cable.

Comment

All good advice
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We do offer repair ends for IC, HC, and IW cable. The repair ends thread inside the end of your existing cable. The repair end for ½” HC and IC is RIDGID model number T-121 catalog number 59917 and the IW repair end is catalog number 91042. You can purchase these at your local RIDGID distributor. If they don’t have it in stock they should be able to order it for you.

Comment

The only repair ends that thread inside the cable are 3/4 and 5/8 with the exception of 5/8 iw. The 1/2iw and 1/2ic along with 3/8 both ic and iw thread over the cable and should not be welded marvin

Comment

I'll show Marvin My welding Certs., If He shows His !

Comment

The 1/2" and 3/8 repair ends from ridge have a spring that goes over the cable and they are a tight fit. If they are welded at the end they will usually break there. If the ends that trread into the cable have a good fit they do not have to be welded. Karl kollmann never welded his ends on the sectonal cables. There are others that do not as well flexable, marco,duracable eel to name a few marvin

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                              ...........scratching my head having a hard time understanding that one..................

lol !!!
                              It's generally believed that a proper weld is stronger than the metals it is joining to one another.
                              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                              X