Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm Drain Pumping

I have a question for you fella's.
    I have been pumping parking lot catch basins for about a year now. A friend of mine has a 500 gallon vactor trailer that i rent from him on these occasions i would like to start doing more storm drain and catch basin pumping but its hard to advertise something that i dont really have the equipment for.
    The problem with my buddy's machine is he is kind of a flake so its hard to nail him down to times i can get the machine from him, the machine is a little beat up, a little to small for what i need it for, and he is kinda of a jerry rigger so you never know if the machine is going to work correctly when i get it. I would like to make this type of work a big part of my business.
    SO There is an old municipal jet vac truck for sale here locally at what i feel is a pretty good price (still way more money that i have or could get a loan for) but i think i could hit up some family members to come up with the money and i think i could pay it off in 4 years. In your opinion would it be worth it to get the truck that could do jetting, vac, and hydro excavating but put me in considerable debt or keep borrowing my buddy's machine that isnt exactly what i am looking for and cant really grow with ?
    thanks
    Mike
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: Storm Drain Pumping

mike, big decision, big money. unless you have the built in business and future contracts, i would keep on borrowing/ renting. a commercial truck of that size will cost you if you use it or not. i would wait until you know you have good steady work for it.

took me years before i bought a big jetter. now i'm on my 3rd unit 44k later.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Mike I would check with the city and counties around you to see if they have or will be starting a mandatory catch basin program. Many have been doing this as a way to offset the federal clean water act to reduce I/I in combined and SS systems. In Seattle they have inspectors that now go around and check all CB's on private property and MAKE them have them cleaned. (You Just get on the List of Contractors) So first check your area you will be surprised how small the list is. As for a machine do you have a CDL? Also the insurance is rather spendy. We have a 880 Gallon Vac trailer and it is sometimes too large to get into some jobs. If I had to do it all over again and was going to target CB's and not larger vac jobs I would look at some of the smaller vacs, they have one that runs off air and fits in the back of a PU truck cost is 10k new. It can do like 1-4 CB's depending on size. Then there are a lot of newer small 300-500 gallon trailers also, the trailers have been going pretty cheap at Ritchie Bros Auction because of the big companies down sizing their fleets.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Just checked and Clark County has a lot of info but did not see a contractor list would be a good time to get in on the ground floor if you know what I mean lol here is the contact info.
        Clark County Environmental Services - Clean Water Program: Ron Wierenga, Program Manager
        Street Address: 1300 Franklin Street, 1st Floor, Vancouver, WA 98660
        Mailing Address: P.O. Box 9810, Vancouver, WA 98666-9810
        Main phone: (360) 397-2121 ext. 4345 | Fax: (360) 397-2062
        Relay 711 or (800) 833-6384
        E-mail: cleanwater@clark.wa.gov
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thanks guys
          Mike
          Clark County Plumbing And Drain
          www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com