tar drain fittings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tar drain fittings

I dug up several pressed card board and tar 4" fittings they did not hold up to wads and wads of pads/tampons frozen into the line. was this this considered a good idea?

Re: tar drain fittings

Sounds like Orangeburg , It wasn't a good idea any where

Comment

Sewer History: Articles

Lightweight
      Cut with a handsaw

State of the art---was.

I remember as a kid how easy it was to lift vs CI.
      Best line in the article calls it, "toilet paper tube covered with coal tar".

Comment

for some reason i thought orangeburg was a clay pipe. all ways an education on the forum.

Comment

Definitely you tied into Orangeburg. We still see a lot of it here.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe doc View Post
            for some reason i thought orangeburg was a clay pipe. all ways an education on the forum.
            A lot of people make that same mistake. Whenever I am speaking to someone new (HO, contractor, Plumber etc..) I always say "it's Orangeburg pipe, you know the black roll roofing type pipe."

I would assume the mix up comes from the Orange in orangeburg and clay pipe being somewhat orange in color.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Many years ago i dug, up what I thought was a C.I. sewer line .Tried to cut with My snap cutter. Locked it up, but good!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Orangeburg was designed to be used as electric conduit then some wise guy thought it would make a good
                sewer pipe as electric conduit they did not have to seal the joints so they carried this over to the sewer pipe
                It got its name from the town of orangeburg, which was also the name of the plant that mfg, the pipe

http://www.sewerhistory.org/articles...orangeburg.htm
                Last edited by JERRYMAC; 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM.
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Can Orangeburg be identified when you camera a laterial?

If so can anyone share some pics/videos?

I know we have some in my area..........

Comment

typically with experience, you can id it. easy to rule out clean and shiny black abs. cast iron will have rust deposits. plus orangeburg will typically not be round anymore and show signs of crushing.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X