X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Broken Cable

I broke another 40mm cable today using my K-1500 and guess where it brakes every time its not in the centre of the cable it only kinks there its always at the coupling just a couple of milometers from where it is welded if I wasn`t suspicious I`d say ridgid designed them that way as it seems to be the weakest part of the cable and should be strengthend in some way.

Tony

Re: Another Broken Cable

40mm cable ???

Have any pictures ? How was the cable reacting just before it broke ?
    Last edited by AssTyme; 01-31-2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Get some eel or general cable problem solved
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I've never broken a Ridgid 1.25" cable at a weld and some of mine are 30+ years old (some are 3 years old too). Maybe you got a bad batch. Are you breaking the welds on roots or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          40mm cable ???

Have any pictures ? How was the cable reacting just before it broke ?
          Give me a brake I made one miss type I should have typed 32mm for 1"/1/4 cable how many Hail Marys will I have to say for my penance for such a big mistake

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            Give me a brake I made one miss type I should have typed 32mm for 1"/1/4 cable how many Hail Marys will I have to say for my penance for such a big mistake

Tony

Wow what's with the attitude ??? Maybe you should go back to bed for awhile and get up from the other side. I thought maybe you guys had something different over there ? Without any helpful information you won't get many answers.

Comment

realistically the weld only holds the cable from unscrewing from the connector. you still have a good 4-5 threads on the connector to secure the cable. that leaves the connector as being a loose fit and putting all the stress at the end of the cable where it was welded instead of the tension on the connector.

could also be a tempering issue with the cable and weld. there should still be enough good tight wind cable to re-secure the end once cleaned up.

a possible solution would be to crimp a sleeve around the coils at the connector. this would prevent the cable from tightening or loosening without a weld. not sure is a hose shop could do that or possibly a good marine shop that swedges cables for sails and rigging.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                realistically the weld only holds the cable from unscrewing from the connector. you still have a good 4-5 threads on the connector to secure the cable. that leaves the connector as being a loose fit and putting all the stress at the end of the cable where it was welded instead of the tension on the connector.

could also be a tempering issue with the cable and weld. there should still be enough good tight wind cable to re-secure the end once cleaned up.

a possible solution would be to crimp a sleeve around the coils at the connector. this would prevent the cable from tightening or loosening without a weld. not sure is a hose shop could do that or possibly a good marine shop that swedges cables for sails and rigging.

rick.
                Wouldn't a crimped on sleeve prevent an automatic feed / retrieve from functioning at that spot?
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                X