Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

i have bought a new small jetter good choice ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i have bought a new small jetter good choice ?

one think more.

In the 2 jetters, the dealer have told me that the pressure is messured on the end of the hose by the nozzle, it means that on the gauge it is a little bit more.

Comment

that is all dependant on hose diameter and hose length. while it is true that the delivered pressure and volume is what comes out of the nozzle, unless they are using an industry standard hose diameter and length, it can be very misleading.

i would still stick with the 5.5 at 3000 psi. i own pretty much that same spec 5.6 at 3500 18 hp. machine i've used for 15 plus years with good results. the 3000 psi will cut just about anything including concrete if needed. 5.5 is a decent flow for the smaller pipe and it will still perform in 6'' pipe with the proper nozzle. plus once it's clean, you can still use water to help flush the line while jettng to keep it moving.

1450 is considered low and old school. 1900 is more like an electric machine. 3000 is what is more the normal. a root ranger at 3000 and 5.5 will cut a 2x4 wood board in 1/2 in under a minute.

10 gpm is a lot of water and will require a tank for storage. 5.6 can be hooked up to a garden hose out here.

remember that high gpm works in large pipe as it won't flood as easily. in smaller bore pipe, too much volume will cause flooding. plus with smaller hoses come lower pressure and lower volume. 10 gpm will require 1/2'' hose. 3/8'' hose is a tad too small. 1/2'' hose is for 4'' and larger pipe.

spend the money to come out here and i will duplicate those same specs for you to play with.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

@Rick,

Today the ridgid dealer brink us an KJ 3100 to test it.

I have been surprised to see an nice NOT rubbered hose.

The machine in 4" drain circuit i have make for it, path nice the bends and have enough pulling power.

I only can compare it to the machines I have and it goes only a little bit worser than our 8 Gpm 3000 PSi machine, of course it goes worlds better than the 4 Gpm at 3400 Psi.

My personal problem is that I can not test the 10 gpm 1450 Psi. It has an 3/8 hose slick hose too.

So really the difference I can not seen it, and I have asked some other dealers and the told me the same. Gallons you need to flush well the drain an transport the debris out.

Comment

anybody that owns a jetter and is experienced will tell you that a 10 gpm x 1450 psi machine is pretty much a waste of money. the pressure is low and the volume is high. once again, 10gpm will require a 1/2'' hose to flow that kind of water and keep the pressure drop low. 1/2'' hose will not make bends easy in 4'' pipe.

while it's true that volume carries debris better. volume will also flood easier.

there is not 1 major company that builds the specs you're listing for a reason.

my first trailer jetter was 2500 psi at 10 gpm and it was decent, but remember it had 1000 psi more than your specs. so when i ran 1/4'' hose i still had 2500 psi at approx 4-5 gpm.

now i have 4000 psi at 18 gpm. and there is a hugh difference even with the smaller hose. i also have a 2'' gas pump that will put over 100 gpm at very low psi mounted to my jetter to help flush out lines if needed.

i can't believe that someone would tell you a 10 gpm at 1450 psi jetter is going to satisfy your needs. the 3/8'' hose will drastically reduce your nozzle pressure at 10 gpm.

if they will not demo the 10 gpm machine, what happens when you find out i was right and you're now stuck with an expensive machine that is only good for washing cars 5 at a time.

anyone else have some comments to help him make the right choice.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

@Rick,

I have visit today an company who have this jetter I think it is very similar to the 10 gpm at 1450 psi.

So the jetter I have tested today: 10 gpm at 2000 psi and 1/2 hose.
            I have tested it in a 12 " pipe. and it was very very powerful the pulling effect.

It is true the guys have told me that it do not path bends in 4" drains.

a lot stronger that with the Ridgid 3100.

So the difference between 1450 psi and 2000 psi, can not be so big ???

Some recomendations of an europe builder of jetters, very famous in europe- ROMBV:

3 gpm at 1900 psi maximum 4" drains

8 gpm at 3000 psi Maximum 6" drains

10 gpm at 2000 psi maximum 10" drains

10 gpm at 1450 psi maximum 8" drains

this are only some of tham, but more or less the europeens manufactures a public this at his internet sizes.
            Last edited by spanien; 05-24-2012, 04:25 PM. Reason: 1

Comment

of the 4 mentioned above, i would go with the 8 at 3000#

how is the price compared to the ridgid and does it require a holding tank/ buffer tank?

the ridgid should be fine with a garden hose connection.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

@Rick,

The prices are very similar.

If I take the 10 gpm at 1450 psi and than reduce the 3/8 hose to a 1/4 hose for 4" it do not will work well ?

Edit:

I have just spoken to somebody who is worrking in a big company in germany of nozzle building for jetters, I am buying their my nozzles now.

So he confirmed me a littleb bit what you are telling Rick. This is what he told me between the Ridgid Kj 3100 ant the other machine 10 gpm 1450 psi.

I have choosen two diferent machines of drain cleaning he told, totaly different.

The speed of coming out the water at the nozzle is different.

The 10 gpm he told me is good for flushing sand, debris away, but the ridgid will be good really for unblocking or cutting or cleaning the drain walls with the correct nozzle.

Thanks.
                Last edited by spanien; 05-25-2012, 05:25 AM.

Comment

pretty much what i've been trying to explain to you.

either the ridgid 5.5 at 3000 or if the price is ok, the 8 at 3000. but the 8 will probably require a holding tank or buffer tank.

i would go with the ridgid unless you can easily use the 8 without all the tank issues.

3/8'' hose would be the best choice for 4'' -6'' 100-150mm. 1/2'' is too heavy and stiff for 5.5-8 gpm.

1/4'' hose will reduce the pressure more than 3/8''. use the 1/4'' on the secondary lines 1.5''-2'' and if needed on 3''.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

@Rick,

Some questions, if i can buy an jetter with 2200 psi and 10 gpm will it be Ok if i tak 2 hose reels.

One of 1/2 hose and the other one with 378 or 1/4 hose for small lines and bends in 4" lines ?

Or would it be better to take only 1/ 2 hose and than connect to an smaler hose an 3/8 or 1/4 hose ?

Thank you.

Comment

2200 at 10 gpm is not bad, but remember for smaller lines like 1.5''/ 38mm-75mm/ 3'' you can't use 10gpm.

i still like a high presure machine. you could turn down the pressure and the volume too. with 2200 psi, you can't turn up the pressure, only turn down the voulme and pressure.

if the hose can reach the machine, then just go with the 3/8'' or 1/4''. every foot of excess hose will drop the pressure.

i have a 500' x 1/2'' reel, a 3/8'' x 400' reel, a 1/4'' x 100' and 150' coupled together and a few 3/8''x 100', 1/4'' x 100 and 3/16'' x 100' and 1/8'' x 50. i try to pick the right length hose for the job.

of course if you need the extra length, then couple to the 1/2'' to keep the pressure drop to a minimum. or to 3/8'' for the 1/4'' hose.

i would still like to see more than 2200psi machine. 10 gpm is a good size pump, but 2200 psi will not be as good in the smaller size hoses with pressure drop and distsnce.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        2200 at 10 gpm is not bad, but remember for smaller lines like 1.5''/ 38mm-75mm/ 3'' you can't use 10gpm.

i still like a high presure machine. you could turn down the pressure and the volume too. with 2200 psi, you can't turn up the pressure, only turn down the voulme and pressure.

if the hose can reach the machine, then just go with the 3/8'' or 1/4''. every foot of excess hose will drop the pressure.

i have a 500' x 1/2'' reel, a 3/8'' x 400' reel, a 1/4'' x 100' and 150' coupled together and a few 3/8''x 100', 1/4'' x 100 and 3/16'' x 100' and 1/8'' x 50. i try to pick the right length hose for the job.

of course if you need the extra length, then couple to the 1/2'' to keep the pressure drop to a minimum. or to 3/8'' for the 1/4'' hose.

i would still like to see more than 2200psi machine. 10 gpm is a good size pump, but 2200 psi will not be as good in the smaller size hoses with pressure drop and distsnce.

rick.

.....patience of Job.....
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • conductor fault locating
                        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

@Rick,

So if I have the 2200 Psi and 10 gpm what will be better:

One hose reel with 1/2 Hose 160 feet long and than connect to it 60-100 feet of 3/8 or 1/4 hose.

Or.

secons hose reel directly with 160 feet of 1/4 or 3/8 hose ?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by spanien View Post
                            @Rick,

So if I have the 2200 Psi and 10 gpm what will be better:

One hose reel with 1/2 Hose 160 feet long and than connect to it 60-100 feet of 3/8 or 1/4 hose.

Or.

secons hose reel directly with 160 feet of 1/4 or 3/8 hose ?

Thank you.

remember that the smaller hose will have the greater pressure loss. but it will also be much easier to handle than the larger hose.

the problem with 2200 psi is the pressure loss will sneak up on you much faster than a 3000 psi machine.

i would use the 3/8'' in everything possible such as 2'' with 45's and all 3''. the 1/2'' hose for 4'' with 45's. 90's are a little tight for 1/2'' at that pressure/ pulling power.

keep the 1/4'' for small bore pipe and keep the length down to limit the psi drop.

a very simple test for pressure drop is to connect the desired hose with no nozzle. crank up the rpm to full running speed. then see what your pressure is reading on the gage. the actual pressure drop is what is being read with no nozzle attached and water being discharged at the end of the hose.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

@Rick,

Our small jetter with comet Pump and 13 Hp motor.

The tecnical data sheet tells: 4 gpm at 4000 psi.

Now after 3 month of use, it only have 3.69 gpm per minute, the pressure is 4000 psi.

Can I tell it where i have bought it or is this an minimum difference

I have test it with NO nozzle when it was new and it was exactly 4 gpm.

What you think ?

Comment

i could have told you that. the 13 hp is not strong enough for that pressure. the pump is rated for 4 gpm at a certain engine rpm/ pump rpm. when you load it up with 4000 psi, you drop the rpm as the engine struggles. try turning down the pressure to 3500 psi and you should then get back the volume. the ridgid k3100 5.5 at 3000 has jumped up to 16hp to allow for more gpm than their older k3000. 4 at 3000.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X