X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn drain

This last week I worked at a building that is worse than cursed. (I won't bore you with details) The place should be completely replumbed as far as I'm concerned.

This one apartment had a plugged kitchen sink (which they didn't mention) a plugged tub, a plugged toilet, and a plugged wall hung lav. (Yep, every plumbing fixture in that unit.) It turns out it wasn't a main line that was plugged, but rather, each fixture was plugged separately with hair.

I used a 3/8" drop head in the lavatory. On the 1st pass I sent it out about 30 feet, and a good gob of hair came back. On the 2nd pass I put a nice hitch just behind the drop head and sent it out 30' again. The line is 1-1/2" galvanized with a reducing brass trap adapter 1-1/4". On the retrieval I got the snake back within five feet of the drain opening and the snake became stuck. It wouldn't come back any further. It would go out a little, but not back. So naturally I tried back and forth till the snake was simply stuck, and the cable decided to twist on me between the wall and drum. Three fingers on my left hand were stuck in the cable for what seemed like several agonizing minutes, although it was probably less than a minute. (After a screwdriver and pliers with my right hand failed, I finally just pulled as hard, and painfully as I could to get my fingers loose and succeeded. Thankfully I had a glove on!!! (ALWAYS)

Anyway, no broken or crushed bones and just small blood blisters under my finger nails.

Here's a pic of what stopped the snake cable. After I cut the pipe it wouldn't fall loose because the hair ball / plug was simply too tight. The hair ball was about 12" long and wouldn't get through the 45 ells upstream.

Oh, and I left out the best part! The smell was so strong in this bathroom that a plumber who was using a shop vac to clean the crap from the toilet and tub lost his lunch! (Which was too bad since we had enjoyed a very nice Sausage and mushroom pizza with extra cheese at lunch)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by geno gardner; 02-06-2012, 12:13 AM.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Stubborn drain

That photo is disgusting with all the oozzzzz on it their should be an R rating on it

Tony

Comment

Thats a hair ball

Comment

I love a good plumbing horror story

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
          That photo is disgusting with all the oozzzzz on it their should be an R rating on it

Tony

Tony, That "oooozzz" is below the apartment but in the ceiling space above a Mexican restaurant. Now you know where that "special" spicey flavor comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            Tony, That "oooozzz" is below the apartment but in the ceiling space above a Mexican restaurant. Now you know where that "special" spicey flavor comes from.
            O no I`ve lost my appetite you are so cruel

Tony

Comment

Did You get Hazardous duty pay ????
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think I saw that in a movie once...called the Thing......
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                  I think I saw that in a movie once...called the Thing......

I haven't billed him yet. One thing you can count on... I'm going to give him a haircut.

(just kidding)

Comment

Working...
                  X