X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old 1 1/2" galvy. Wash. Machine stand pipe rodding

Was surprised what a bear it was to get through C.I. trap !
    What's You favorite Methods N Cutters ? Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Old 1 1/2" galvy. Wash. Machine stand pipe rodding

Gotta be the reverse auger

Just posted a thread yesterday about this.

1 1/2" Cast Iron Trap.....

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
      Gotta be the reverse auger

Just posted a thread yesterday about this.

1 1/2" Cast Iron Trap.....
      Good post ,especially the beat down!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

as a matter of fact, the 5/8'' reverse auger does get through a 1.5'' durham trap.

the advantage is that when the machine is run in reverse, the cable becomes a self feeder and wants to wind itself into the trap and continue screwing itself around the bends.

been there done that.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          as a matter of fact, the 5/8'' reverse auger does get through a 1.5'' durham trap.

the advantage is that when the machine is run in reverse, the cable becomes a self feeder and wants to wind itself into the trap and continue screwing itself around the bends.

been there done that.

rick.

Are these the traps with the deeply recessed cleanout plug on the bottom ? Seems the reverse auger would just screw down in the recessed area like all other cables do ? What makes the auger jump over this area ?

Comment

about the only traps i see with c/o plugs are the 2'' and 3'' traps standards used for service sinks.

but the reverse auger with a slight 45 on the last few inches is flexible enough and the open wind acts as a power feeder and should be able to jump the c/o plug.

our old school durham traps don't have c/o plugs, and it's no problem getting through the trap. i find these on anything from tubs, showers and laundry lines dated pre -1967. no hub started up right around 1968.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

about the only traps i see with c/o plugs are the 2'' and 3'' traps standards used for service sinks.

but the reverse auger with a slight 45 on the last few inches is flexible enough and the open wind acts as a power feeder and should be able to jump the c/o plug.

our old school durham traps don't have c/o plugs, and it's no problem getting through the trap. i find these on anything from tubs, showers and laundry lines dated pre -1967. no hub started up right around 1968.

rick.

I'm going to have to start carrying a camera so I can post a pic of one.

Comment

sounds like a wise move......
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Are these the traps with the deeply recessed cleanout plug on the bottom ? Seems the reverse auger would just screw down in the recessed area like all other cables do ? What makes the auger jump over this area ?
                  I have seen a few tight 1 1/2" traps with cl out plugs in the past
                  I cut them out when i see them

Comment

OK, here's a pic of one I took today.

Comment

I always get hung on the 2" traps with the 1/2" plug on the leaving side. I know its there to get in the line after the trap, but they are never coming out without busting the trap.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • conductor fault locating
                      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I can see that plug being a double eged sword !

Comment

How about My 1/4" jetter with a spring leader ?

Comment

about the only thing you'll accomplish with your 1/4'' jet hose on a 1.5'' durham trap is blowing waste water back up the standpipe and onto yourself. save yourself the mess and jet from the vent, remove the trap if it's exposed or just cable the line.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

about the only thing you'll accomplish with your 1/4'' jet hose on a 1.5'' durham trap is blowing waste water back up the standpipe and onto yourself. save yourself the mess and jet from the vent, remove the trap if it's exposed or just cable the line.

rick.

I haven't had much luck with that

Comment

Working...
                              X