Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

    I've had my K 40 for several months and I recently put it in the truck..So far I like the K40 alot..I find it to be a very clean machine in that clean up after the job is minimal saving me time...I have (and still am) a big K50 user but I find in many situations the K40 can step in and do the job a little faster and cleaner...The only trouble I have had with the K40 is the footswitch seems to blow out the conection hose out of the bulb when I step on it...I'm going to super glue that in....All in all I have found the K40 to be well built clean and reliable...It's also user fiendly in that all you do is press down the powerfeed to advance/retrieve the cable so the operators arm dosent get tired.. So far the K40 is earning its keep here....Tom

  • #2
    Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

    I have been saying that the K-40 is a great machine for a while now. I have the K-40B unit which works great, is a little lighter, and spins a tad faster. Yes you have to keep the batteries fully charged but that is not a huge issue. I bring the batteries in at night and put them on the charger, so they will be fresh in the morning.

    I have rodded through the cross bars on a commercial hand sink due to the location of the hand sink, which was on a busy server/cook line. So pulling the trap and setting up a larger machine was not a real option since people where walking up and down the line nonstop, let alone the mess it would of made. So standing there with the machine standing straight up and the guide hose in the sink, and squeezed the feed and let it do its work. In all honesty I have no idea why others bad mouth the unit so much. Its like a pistol rod on a stand, no having to hold the heavy bugger.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

      Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      I have been saying that the K-40 is a great machine for a while now. I have the K-40B unit which works great, is a little lighter, and spins a tad faster. Yes you have to keep the batteries fully charged but that is not a huge issue. I bring the batteries in at night and put them on the charger, so they will be fresh in the morning.

      I have rodded through the cross bars on a commercial hand sink due to the location of the hand sink, which was on a busy server/cook line. So pulling the trap and setting up a larger machine was not a real option since people where walking up and down the line nonstop, let alone the mess it would of made. So standing there with the machine standing straight up and the guide hose in the sink, and squeezed the feed and let it do its work. In all honesty I have no idea why others bad mouth the unit so much. Its like a pistol rod on a stand, no having to hold the heavy bugger.
      So your telling me that you have your K40 standing upright with the guide hose and the cable will effortlessly goes around a 40mm (1.5") trap or a 50mm (2") trap well you must be talking about some other machine as my K40 won`t and never has as it only rotates the cable at 270 rpm where as the K39 will at 500 rpm the K50 at 400 rpm and the K60 at 600 rmp

      Tony

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

        I dont think a saw the word effortlessly in Rons post but if he said he did it I believe him 100%....Tom

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

          An 1½" trap with out to much fuss, Got the line flowing in less than 10 minutes. The hardest part was carefully threading the bulb auger through the cross bars on the drain. 275 rpms is more than enough speed. I have cleard over 100 drains with this machine. To me it is money well spent, on a well designed machine.

          Here is a video of the first time I used the machine.

          Last edited by SewerRatz; 03-13-2012, 08:44 AM.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

            I have the older style K40 with the single feed lever. My only complaint is that if there's a small bend in the cable it wont retrieve back into the drum properly. Tends to jam up right at the drum. I found that i was squeezing the feed lever too hard and causing it to twist up in the drum. Only a light touch is needed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

              Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              I have the older style K40 with the single feed lever. My only complaint is that if there's a small bend in the cable it wont retrieve back into the drum properly. Tends to jam up right at the drum. I found that i was squeezing the feed lever too hard and causing it to twist up in the drum. Only a light touch is needed.


              Strange, why would that matter ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

                Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                Strange, why would that matter ?
                I think it works best if the cable can slide in and out at a slow, steady pace. Squeezing hard causes the cable to bind up and eventually flip inside the drum. Your results may vary.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

                  Yes, if you squeeze to hard on the feed, you are essently stopping the cable from spinning at the point of contact verses letting the feed bearings do their job. When I first posted about this great little machine, I did note there is a learning curve with it. Once you learn its ins and outs the machine is a great asset to have on any drain cleaning truck.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

                    The K40 takes like 10 different cables. Which one are you all using. Currently i have the C6 35 foot non innercore.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

                      Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                      Yes, if you squeeze to hard on the feed, you are essently stopping the cable from spinning at the point of contact verses letting the feed bearings do their job. When I first posted about this great little machine, I did note there is a learning curve with it. Once you learn its ins and outs the machine is a great asset to have on any drain cleaning truck.


                      Makes sense but I haven't had any issues with my K-39's/K-45's which look to have the same feed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

                        I'm running 35' of Ridgid 5/16" IC Cable...Tom

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

                          Here is a video of the first time I used the machine.

                          Great video, but we cannot use it on here, you were not wearing gloves, and I am pretty sure no hard had or steel toe boots.
                          "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

                            Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                            Great video, but we cannot use it on here, you were not wearing gloves, and I am pretty sure no hard had or steel toe boots.
                            No need for gloves when you never have to touch the rotating cable ever.

                            Bill, I am running 35' of 1/4" cable open hook bulb auger. I also have a second drum with the Ridgid 3/8" cable with the k-50 end so I can use the k-50 cutters for the larger lines. It is 35' also.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: My New K 40..Trials....Impressions...

                              Thanks Ron. I have the other cable but not the spare drum. Ill look into getting that so i dont have to keep swapping cables out. Changing drums is much easier. Then i can sell off my Ridgid Auto-Kleen.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X