New k-60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New k-60

Good evening. I have been doing plumbing for a while but havn't touched sewers. I just bought a k-60 and I have some very basic questions. The k60 comes standard with 5 cutters and I would like to know the proper use of each cutter. Also are there other cutters that I should look into? Thanks

Re: New k-60

depending on the type of blockage and size of line/ opening will dictate the proper cutter.

for my work, the spiral root saw is my main cutter.

the straight auger is good for 1.5''-2'' openings. but it has it's limits as it is a weak design and will break. there is plenty of reading posted about the k-60 and also the "rick" reverse auger.

the 4 blade cutter is good for muck/ soft blockages and grease.

also the 3'' and 4'' u cutters are good for general cleaning and roots.

spend some time and read the k-60 threads for good info and pictures.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I always have problems with the search function, but what is the reverse auger used for?

Comment

the reverse auger is used for just about everything that is a problem with access or a stoppage that won't clear. it has never failed me and will open a 4'' root stoppage from a 1.5'' cleanout very easily.

the factory ridgid auger is guaranteed to break after 1 use on roots. the rr auger has done hundreds without breaking.

it's also great for tight fittings like used in outside area drains made with styrene fittings.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks. I have read a lot about your reverse auger. Do I use a regular open wind cable or something else? Also the 7/8" cutter set that I have comes with 5 cutters. 1.Funnal auger. 2.strait auger.3. retrieving auger.4.spade cutter.5. shark tooth cutter. What is the function and usage for each one of these? Are there other cutters/augers that I should buy for the 7/8" and where would I buy them? Thank you again for generously sharing you time and expertise.

Comment

it's made from a regular open wind cable. wait until you ruin a cable or coupler to make 1. unless you want to just cut off a male cable end.

the funnel auger is used as a tool to remove samples of the stoppage or rags/ wipes. seldom used for my work.

straight auger will break if used on roots. replace it with the reverse auger. great for the hard to access jobs and stoppages that nothing else will clear.

the retrieving auger is very similar to the straight auger. was designed to retrieve cables. once again the reverse auger will be my choice.

the spade auger was designed for mud, grease. honestly i never use it as i chose to use a jetter or a 4 blade cutter instead.

the shark tooth cutter is great for roots, but i use the spiral saw tooth cutter instead.

so if you're up against roots and grease. get yourself the spiral saw tooth cutter and 4 blade cutter. of course the reverse auger will be your best secret weapon to get things open.

welcome to the forum and the worlds best snake, the k-60

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. Would it be possible to cut off the female end of the cable? When I am using the cable as a cutter I will load the cables into the k60 backwards (i.e. with female end sticking out of front of machine) and when I am using any other cutter I will make sure that the cut cable is the last cable used. The benefit is that I don't have to ruin a cable. Also where do I get spiral saw tooth cutter and 4 blade cutter? I tried goggling(not sure if that's a real word) and didn't come up with anything. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by hbsbn View Post
                Thanks Rick. Would it be possible to cut off the female end of the cable? When I am using the cable as a cutter I will load the cables into the k60 backwards (i.e. with female end sticking out of front of machine) and when I am using any other cutter I will make sure that the cut cable is the last cable used. The benefit is that I don't have to ruin a cable. Also where do I get spiral saw tooth cutter and 4 blade cutter? I tried goggling(not sure if that's a real word) and didn't come up with anything. Thanks again
                you could cut off the female end, but then all your cable will be installed backwards when it comes time to clean the line with a cutter. i understand what you're asking and i've pondered it too. but treat the 14' reverse auger as a cutter and keep the female end.

as far as a spiral sawtooth cutter goes, the 3'' cutter assemble is a t-111. cat #92890. the replacement 4'' blade is from the 1500 machine and is interchangeable as a blade with the t-111 blade holder. just remove the allen screw to take out the 3'' and put in the 4'' saw. the part # is a 97850.

the 4 blade with teeth cutter is a t-113 3'' or a t-106 grease no tooth cutter 3.5''.

the 1500 uses a bigger female connector, but the blades will swap out into the k-60.

rick
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  you could cut off the female end, but then all your cable will be installed backwards when it comes time to clean the line with a cutter. i understand what you're asking and i've pondered it too. but treat the 14' reverse auger as a cutter and keep the female end.

as far as a spiral sawtooth cutter goes, the 3'' cutter assemble is a t-111. cat #92890. the replacement 4'' blade is from the 1500 machine and is interchangeable as a blade with the t-111 blade holder. just remove the allen screw to take out the 3'' and put in the 4'' saw. the part # is a 97850.

the 4 blade with teeth cutter is a t-113 3'' or a t-106 grease no tooth cutter 3.5''.

the 1500 uses a bigger female connector, but the blades will swap out into the k-60.

rick
                  the spiral blades for the 7/8" and 1.25" cables are not the same. the spiral blades for the 1.25" cables are a lot wider.

the C-cutter blades are the same for both cables/holders

Comment

Working...
                  X