X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid K7500

Just got this used Ridgid K7500 the other day. I haven't used it yet as the cable in the machine is too kinked up to do any good. Never used a Ridgid drum machine before, but buy tearing it down a few times it seems to be a very solid drum machine for mainlines. I was not impressed at all by the Ridgid "quick lock" pin lock connections. They seem like they could come apart at any minute. Anyone running Ridgid cable in the drum machines? Any issues with the connections?

Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
    Attached Files
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma
    (
    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Re: Ridgid K7500

I run the same machine. I've had great luck with the lock they use, even the leader I leave on all the time has never rotated more than a few degrees. When you buy cables get 2 50 footers, since the lock goes through the autofeed with no issues. Nthat way if you break a section you aren't totally boned.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The connection just doesn't seem to be a strong one to me. Not sure if I could use it because I would be thinking it is going to come lose at any minute. What comes the screw from rotating is what concerns me.
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

Comment

The screw driver pin lock Ridgid uses has a tenancy to lock up where you can no longer turn it. If you get Ridgid cable have the Spartan pin ends installed.

Also I already said I prefer to run two 50' sections, as I said I like to rotate the cables this way my spare cable and the cable loaded first in the machine gets even wear. Can not do that with a 100' length. Also if for some reason you kink a cable, it is easer and less expensive to change out 50' than it is 100'

I think you will be happy if you load up that machine with the eel 3/4" cable That stuff even though its limber is pretty bullet proof. I have ran .66 magnum cable in the 7500 as well as in the K750. Works real well, the auto feed does feed it out with out any issues.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

not a big ridgid cable guy

i run 3/4" eel cable with the pin lock ends in mine....have had the same cable for 4 yrs now......then again i only use a drum machine a hand full of times a year

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
            not a big ridgid cable guy

i run 3/4" eel cable with the pin lock ends in mine....have had the same cable for 4 yrs now......then again i only use a drum machine a hand full of times a year

Is Eel's pin lock system with a expanding pin? Anyway to get a pic of it?
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

Comment

i've run the ridgid cable with the 1/2 turn eccentric screw for over 25 years with little problems. at 1 time i had a bad batch of couplers with a screw that was not properly heat treated. this caused the screw to get stuck and not turn. they sent me some replacement couplers and i was home free.

the spartan roll pin/ tension pin is a p.i.t.a. to drive in and out. you end up just using a 9/16'' nut driver to swap blades instead. but then you still have to deal with the leader on and off as needed.

i would still stick with the ridgid screw connector as it's a much faster connector to work with. of course it''s also a $20.00 connector too.

the good cable from years past is no longer made. it had an innercore of 7 strands of aircraft cable. pretty much bullet proof.

i ran a 100' section and then i had 25' and 50' extensions. i found that the 50' coupling was a weak point that would cause flex at the connectors. remember that the innercore is not anchored to to the ends of the couplers and the weakest link was that spot. i never believed in a repair coupler either.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i've run the ridgid cable with the 1/2 turn eccentric screw for over 25 years with little problems. at 1 time i had a bad batch of couplers with a screw that was not properly heat treated. this caused the screw to get stuck and not turn. they sent me some replacement couplers and i was home free.

the spartan roll pin/ tension pin is a p.i.t.a. to drive in and out. you end up just using a 9/16'' nut driver to swap blades instead. but then you still have to deal with the leader on and off as needed.

i would still stick with the ridgid screw connector as it's a much faster connector to work with. of course it''s also a $20.00 connector too.

the good cable from years past is no longer made. it had an innercore of 7 strands of aircraft cable. pretty much bullet proof.

i ran a 100' section and then i had 25' and 50' extensions. i found that the 50' coupling was a weak point that would cause flex at the connectors. remember that the innercore is not anchored to to the ends of the couplers and the weakest link was that spot. i never believed in a repair coupler either.

rick.

Why not just leave the leader on full time ?

I've never ran without one.

Comment

when you go to tackle nasty roots in 4''-8'' lines, a leader is not necessary. the purpose of the leader was for navigating tight turns. i always ran innercore and the leader is not innercore..

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    when you go to tackle nasty roots in 4''-8'' lines, a leader is not necessary. the purpose of the leader was for navigating tight turns. i always ran innercore and the leader is not innercore..

rick.

I know but I've never removed it and it works just fine on everything. You never know when a tight turn is just around the corner

Comment

I've been using the k-7500 for years, I always use a 100' w/ inner cable and never had an end come off. But the ends do become slack where the bit slides on after a while and sometimes the lock screw becomes easier than normal to turn. At this point I change the end. I've changed ends no problem, if a cable breaks or the first part of the cable gets kinked or worn out i cut off the bad section and make short lengths as an add-on. I always keep a spare cable, bits, rod ends and bearings for the auto feed.

Comment

Working...
                      X