Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

poured concrete in drain

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • poured concrete in drain

    what is the best way to remove poured concrete in a 3" ABS ptrap. I have augers, jetter with various nozzles and chain flail. The ABS is cell core which is like an Areo chocolate bar, meaning there is ABS on inside and outside and then a foam core. I am not sure how it will stand up to auger or jetter. Has anyone experienced this.

  • #2
    Re: poured concrete in drain

    Quote replacing the trap with an option to try and clear. This way it was their decision. I say save yourself the grief and possible wasted time. In the end either they will remember you clearing it for a fortune, repairing it, or breaking it.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

    Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: poured concrete in drain

      There are carbide bits made just for doing concrete in pipes, I have used them in straight shots not traps though.
      Seattle Drain Service

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: poured concrete in drain

        Probably better off ahead to just replace the trap.....as far as time spent and cost....
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

        Derek

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: poured concrete in drain

          the trap is solid abs, not foam core. the pipe is foam core.

          i would try a 4 blade auger as the concrete should not be as hard as real poured, but more like a slurry watered down mix.

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: poured concrete in drain

            Stick a 1/4 jetter hose through 1" pvc pipe and attach a turbo nozzle to the hose. Use the pipe as a handle and push the hose foward to get the slurry out.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: poured concrete in drain

              Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
              Quote replacing the trap with an option to try and clear. This way it was their decision. I say save yourself the grief and possible wasted time. In the end either they will remember you clearing it for a fortune, repairing it, or breaking it.

              Dont make the decision for the H/O, make them important by making the decision for you. All goes to trash, you still get paid. I think swap out and do away with the hastle not to mention the potential for later failure.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: poured concrete in drain

                I believe You left out some important Info.! Is this an outside area way drain covered By blue stone set in concrete, Slab on grade
                covered By can't match tile, In an accessible crawl space, 2nd story with tin ceiling 1800s Circa ??????
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: poured concrete in drain

                  Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  I believe You left out some important Info.! Is this an outside area way drain covered By blue stone set in concrete, Slab on grade
                  covered By can't match tile, In an accessible crawl space, 2nd story with tin ceiling 1800s Circa ??????
                  Thanks for your help, yes the floor is tiled with radiant heat, insulation, wire mesh, slab. I will try to auger out first, then jet. Most important I will have them sign a sheet that they agree to the work and realize the potential problems that may occur.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: poured concrete in drain

                    (NOTE: I have not tried this before, but have spilled some on the shop floor and it ate it down fairly good and have used it to eat away at some other things and to clean things up)
                    But I would think hydrochloric (muriatic acid) should eat most of it up (or at least weaken the strength of the cement) and not bother the ABS, I would plunge out or soak up as much water as possible, and pour some in full strength and it will most likely eat a lot of it away depending on the depth of it it may take a number of applications of it as the concrete will naturalize it, and us some caution as it may foam up some, (I would get some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate to neutralize any spills), brick layers use it to clean up bricks,

                    I have used it to eat the concrete out of wheel barrows and simular
                    Last edited by BHD; 04-18-2012, 05:29 PM.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: poured concrete in drain

                      Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      (NOTE: I have not tried this before, but have spilled some on the shop floor and it ate it down fairly good and have used it to eat away at some other things and to clean things up)
                      But I would think hydrochloric (muriatic acid) should eat most of it up (or at least weaken the strength of the cement) and not bother the ABS, I would plunge out or soak up as much water as possible, and pour some in full strength and it will most likely eat a lot of it away depending on the depth of it it may take a number of applications of it as the concrete will naturalize it, and us some caution as it may foam up some, (I would get some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate to neutralize any spills), brick layers use it to clean up bricks,

                      I have used it to eat the concrete out of wheel barrows and simular
                      I use muriatic acid all the time & I don't think it would clear the pipe in a timely manner. Also if it is inside the fumes will be nasty. I love acid etching concrete when my head is stuffed up it will clear you right up, but I don't know how heathly it is. There are a lot of enivromently safe stuff on the market that works better than muriatic acid, but I don't remember any of the names. Some salesman always comes by once a year to give a demo & tries to sell me the stuff. His stuff eats the concrete more than the acid & no fumes. I don't use it because when we acid etch we are usually just trying to knock the sheen off the concrete.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: poured concrete in drain

                        Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                        I use muriatic acid all the time & I don't think it would clear the pipe in a timely manner. Also if it is inside the fumes will be nasty. I love acid etching concrete when my head is stuffed up it will clear you right up, but I don't know how heathly it is. There are a lot of enivromently safe stuff on the market that works better than muriatic acid, but I don't remember any of the names. Some salesman always comes by once a year to give a demo & tries to sell me the stuff. His stuff eats the concrete more than the acid & no fumes. I don't use it because when we acid etch we are usually just trying to knock the sheen off the concrete.
                        What about this? Eco Concrete Etcher
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • conductor fault locating
                        • and other specialties.

                        Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: poured concrete in drain

                          You can try this Back Set by RoMix Chemical & Brush?* 800-331-2243 , but I would give Romix a call they may have something better.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: poured concrete in drain

                            The instructions on this product say it works on concrete and grout.
                            http://www.herchem.com/specs/sizzle.pdf

                            Mike

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: poured concrete in drain

                              something on height, so things drain away as opposed to in the property.
                              kirkland plumbing | kirkland Plumbers | redmond plumbing | Plumbers issaquah

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X