X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable Cutters

Is it me or are they made to fail. Anybody use one? Spartan wants $98 for their 4"-6". Am I just better off with the offset blades?
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Re: Adjustable Cutters

i have a few 4 x 6'' ridgid and even their monster 6 x 8'' . they are really designed as a finishing cutter. very heavy blades, but no teeth. you really need the 1.25'' k-1500 to spin them. i use it on my 1.25'' with my timberwolf. i also use them when i was running my 7500 drum and i modified the holder to fit the 7500 cable.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have a 1065 with their magnum cable. I think the machine can handle it...more concerned with them holding up....errr was, if you use them, I will consider them.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • and other specialties.

Comment

I have the eel 4 x 6 expander blade, it's very nice but I haven't used it in two years. Jetting is so much easier plus it gets better results.

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
          I have the eel 4 x 6 expander blade, it's very nice but I haven't used it in two years. Jetting is so much easier plus it gets better results.
          Its only a matter of time for me and a jetter.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

I use the Electric Eel expanding cutters. They are very well built and work very well. They are also very expensive. They are finish cutters.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

We use the general 4x6 and they cut like a devil when new but wear down pretty fast in cast. Definitely a finish blade like the others have said but they do the job.

Comment

The city I moved into 21 years ago, requires you to call them so they can witness the power rodding of the main. Also they require you to use a 4 x 6 expanding cutter. So back then I had Marvin at Allan J Coleman make me up a Ridgid expanding cutter, with a Spartan style pin lock end. Over time this evolved to the Ridgid expanding cutter to be welded on to the end of a leader for magnum cable or 3/4" cable depending what cable I was using with my 1065. Never had any issues using them on the 1065, the sewer inspector for this city was impressed as well.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  The city I moved into 21 years ago, requires you to call them so they can witness the power rodding of the main. Also they require you to use a 4 x 6 expanding cutter. So back then I had Marvin at Allan J Coleman make me up a Ridgid expanding cutter, with a Spartan style pin lock end. Over time this evolved to the Ridgid expanding cutter to be welded on to the end of a leader for magnum cable or 3/4" cable depending what cable I was using with my 1065. Never had any issues using them on the 1065, the sewer inspector for this city was impressed as well.

thats redicilous so when someones mainline is backed up and there house literally has **** coming up.... you have to call a inspector out to have him watch you clear the line?

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    Ratster, talk about beaurocracy run amok!! Will the city guy help you pull the machine back out of the basement when you're done?

I use an electric eel 4x6 expanding cutter on a 1.25" leader which is welded to a 3/4 spartan connector, and that's reduced to .66. which I use on my Spartan 2001. AJ Coleman came up with that baby and even did the welding. If memory serves it cost about $500 but is worth it imo.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I USED to have a Ridgid expanding cutter. That is until I lent it to a "good" mate. Somehow it never made it back to me and all of the excuses given. I am sure it was returned - not...!!!!
                      Nowadays however we generally only use jetters now. I know we all have preferences but cable is too harsh and severe on drains here. Mind you its not easy. Dare I say this too we have Billi-boy there with heaps of spares. cant wait till he opens up his jetter school. Might put my hand up for a gig on that one..............!!!!

Comment

can i be a substitute teacher too

forget bringing apples, bring me a shake

problem with the 4x6 ridgid cutter is just as easy as it springs open, it springs shut. i believe it's the centrifugal force that keeps it open and the more speed, the better chance it stays open.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Attachment
                          Originally posted by Matt T Service and Repair View Post
                          thats redicilous so when someones mainline is backed up and there house literally has **** coming up.... you have to call a inspector out to have him watch you clear the line?
                          Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                          Ratster, talk about beaurocracy run amok!! Will the city guy help you pull the machine back out of the basement when you're done?

I use an electric eel 4x6 expanding cutter on a 1.25" leader which is welded to a 3/4 spartan connector, and that's reduced to .66. which I use on my Spartan 2001. AJ Coleman came up with that baby and even did the welding. If memory serves it cost about $500 but is worth it imo.
                          Attachment

They take responsibility from the sidewalk on to their main. So they want to witness the rodding to see when the line opens, and to determine if its in the ROW or not. Even if it is midnight, they want to be out there. We just call the local police non-emergency number, and tell them to contact the person on call at the sanitary department and have them meet us at the address. I make it a point to do this for all my after hour calls. They do bring their own camera and televise the line after the rodding is done.

The city will dig and repair the sewer if the problem happens on their ROW, three times within a year. The first time they log it, the second time they reimburse the home owner for the rodding and the third time they make the repair.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by SewerRatz; 05-03-2012, 11:53 AM.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

If nothing else it keeps a person honest to their work.....not so much their fees but you can't get it all. Around here the attitude is its anybody else's fault/problem. Nice to see someone step up for a change.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                              Is it me or are they made to fail. Anybody use one? Spartan wants $98 for their 4"-6". Am I just better off with the offset blades?
                              Get the Eel expanding cutter and the Eel/Spartan adapter for your Spartan 1065. The Eel expander is the best one out there IMO.

I would not recommend spinning a 4X6 expander with your 7/8" cables/K60. Get some 5X3 offset blades instead. In my experience, the K-60 will not effectively spin the "finish" cutters in 6" pipe. I have tried 6" C-cutters in 6" pipe and it was a struggle once out more than 45'.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X