X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4" cable

Just snapped the 1/4" cable with my general super vee. Is there a difference between the general and ridgid 1/4" cable? i am assuming that with the tight traps where the 1/4" tends to get used then the more flex the better. Thanks

Re: 1/4" cable

I think that the Ridgid cable is a bit more stiffer than the General Wire cable......
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Are the 5/16 cables(not the inner core) better for tight traps? Once in a blue moon I hit a bathtub trap that I cant pass with the 1/4" cable.

Comment

A 1/4" hollow core would be best just don't torque the pizz out of it

Comment

yes the 5/16'' cable is more flexible than the 1/4'' as both are the same wire gauge and the 5/16'' is not as tight of a wind and therefore more flexible. the factory bulb head makes a good leader for traps.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Just be careful with a 5/16 on a slip joint p trap....it would be easy to push to hard and blow the trap off.....
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              yes the 5/16'' cable is more flexible than the 1/4'' as both are the same wire gauge and the 5/16'' is not as tight of a wind and therefore more flexible. the factory bulb head makes a good leader for traps.

rick.

That depends on which 1/4" cable you choose. Here are the Ridgid offerings. Some other brands will be stiffer some will be more flexible.

There are 3 different wire sizes of Ridgid 1/4" cable:
              1/4" cable used in the Kwik-Spin uses a 0.072" diameter wire and a plastic inner core (not sold as a replacement part)
              1/4" cable used in the Auto-Clean has a 0.080" diameter wire and a plastic inner core (1/4" x 30', cat no 34893)
              1/4" cables as accessories for the K-45 and the K-40 has a 0.092" diameter wire (model no's S-1, S-2, and S-3)
              For the 5/16" cables, there are 2 Ridgid styles. 5/16" hollow core uses a 0.080" wire (C-1, C-2, C-21, C-22)
              5/16" inner core cables have a 0.092" wire and inner core of steel wire rope (C-1IC, C-2IC, C-13IC, C-13ICSB, C-23IC)

Comment

Thanks everybody! This is really a great site! Think that I will go with the 5/16. BTW I am getting great use out of new k60. I will try to post my first time usage story in next day or two. Real adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by hbsbn View Post
                  Thanks everybody! This is really a great site! Think that I will go with the 5/16. BTW I am getting great use out of new k60. I will try to post my first time usage story in next day or two. Real adventure.

Good luck...........

Comment

the ridgid 5/16'' hollow core bulb head is what i use in my k-39 95% of the time. i get great wear out of it as i remove it from the drum to dry out after use.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      the ridgid 5/16'' hollow core bulb head is what i use in my k-39 95% of the time. i get great wear out of it as i remove it from the drum to dry out after use.

rick.

I love the ridgid 1/4" & 5/16" cables too. I run the 5/16" innercore bulbhead and 1/4" nocore drophead in my K-39AF's/K-45AF's.

I have tested many different Ridgid, MyTana, General, DCD, Marco & generic brand 1/4" & 5/16" cables.

I find there are better options than Ridgid for the PITA tight 1 1/2" turns.

Your mileage may vary
                      Last edited by AssTyme; 05-02-2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X