Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General g-rp-2 root ripper

Any feedback on this tool? Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: General g-rp-2 root ripper

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Any feedback on this tool? Thanks Tool

Are you asking about that weird spring looking thing ?

If so I haven't heard anything good about it when I asked a few months ago.

General Pipe Cleaners Cutters

Comment

I have one that came with our machine when we bought it used and we've never even tried it. I was thinking the other day that maybe one day I should give it a whirl. Our local rental place claims that they prefer it on machines they send out on rental. Don't ask me why.

Comment

tool, i looked at the design and it's nothing more than a very short section of open wind cable with a front open "U" piece of cable.

i can guarantee you that my reverse auger will do as good or better job than the general root ripper. plus i have hundreds of real life uses on it. not to mention the remaining cable is all open wind and also grabs roots and wipes, plus augers ths line clean.

next time you come to la, or adam or i go to the bay area, we will make you a sectional believer. there's a reason why adam, ben and i are sectional

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          tool, i looked at the design and it's nothing more than a very short section of open wind cable with a front open "U" piece of cable.

i can guarantee you that my reverse auger will do as good or better job than the general root ripper. plus i have hundreds of real life uses on it. not to mention the remaining cable is all open wind and also grabs roots and wipes, plus augers ths line clean.

next time you come to la, or adam or i go to the bay area, we will make you a sectional believer. there's a reason why adam, ben and i are sectional

rick.

And there's a perfectly good reason why myself and many others are not

Comment

I'm wore out from a tough drain job this morning so I don't feel up to involving myself in a sectional vs drum debate, but I have to disagree with the above statement. The General Root Ripper is much, much more than a section of open wind cable, it is made of approximately 1/4" steel rod wound in the shape if an open wind cable, but with a solid piece running from the connector through the middle to the front, where another piece of very heavy rod is attached in a sort of corkscrew "U" shape for digging into roots. Like I said it is a very, very heavy chunk of steel. Mine is about 2" in diameter if I remember right. I don't know why we've never tried it, since it does look like it would grab a wad of roots and retrieve it quite nicely. Obviously it would have to be followed with a finishing cutter of some sort. I'll keep you posted if we ever get the urge to put it to the test.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
              I'm wore out from a tough drain job this morning so I don't feel up to involving myself in a sectional vs drum debate, but I have to disagree with the above statement. The General Root Ripper is much, much more than a section of open wind cable, it is made of approximately 1/4" steel rod wound in the shape if an open wind cable, but with a solid piece running from the connector through the middle to the front, where another piece of very heavy rod is attached in a sort of corkscrew "U" shape for digging into roots. Like I said it is a very, very heavy chunk of steel. Mine is about 2" in diameter if I remember right. I don't know why we've never tried it, since it does look like it would grab a wad of roots and retrieve it quite nicely. Obviously it would have to be followed with a finishing cutter of some sort. I'll keep you posted if we ever get the urge to put it to the test.

Yeah I suppose not, the drummers have already won that battle Xtimes over

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                And there's a perfectly good reason why myself and many others are not
                i wouldn't consider 2 years as much experience when it comes to drain cleaning.

shoot at age 14 i already had over 2 years of experience.

now at age 49, i know what works and what gives you a workout.

the basic design of a sectional is both safer and does a better job of grabbing, cutting and retrieving. i don't expect you to know that, but the ones who have used both machines for years would know exactly what i'm referring to.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I have the root ripper and plan to use it only with my 1 1/4 sectional. As stated above, it is heavy duty, I swear it probably weighs almost a 1lb. Never used it and I don't think I ever will. Jetting is so much easier, better for the pipe and plumber and the cost for the equipment is comparable to rotary cleaning machines. Only downside it does such a good job, you're not needed as often.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I do very little of this. My equept. is paid for,and
                    I have no plans for a sectional. Seeing the structional integeraty of this cutter impressed Me.For $50.00 odd bucks I'll pull the trigger. Thank You all for Your feed back!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I have used the root ripper with a General sewermatic and a speedrooter.

I have only used it with 3/4" cable. I would not use it with any ridgid style sectional. even the 1.25"

It might work ok with the eel model C, but I would not suggest it with the drill. That thing can build up some mega torque and could seriously hurt the operator.

The whole idea behind this cutter is to dig deep into a root ball and then use the built up torque from the cable to rip it out. Sectionals by design are intended to cut with speed, not torque.

Tool, IMO the Root Ripper is a nice option to have as a backup or last resort option for your Maxirooter.

-Chris

Comment

Here's some quick pics I took this afternoon. Hope they help you, tool.

Name:  7872dd6cd52c7ad516b3a517b7f1d32d.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  67.5 KBName:  72593adb80628d82e6eaf733ad783f50.jpg
Size:  69.9 KBName:  db799438d99b91caf297ef362818d377.jpg
Size:  68.2 KBName:  06d767a41e68704614abb848b6bed0a8.jpg
Size:  66.2 KBName:  b83aae586a05191174eb19afd2e4ba9e.jpg
Size:  82.7 KBName:  845ee07fe0835ffd54cb77cb24e32293.jpg
Size:  175.6 KB
                        Name:  592d37ed03686937f07ea858f7df1581.jpg
Size:  70.1 KB

Comment

i wouldn't consider 2 years as much experience when it comes to drain cleaning.

shoot at age 14 i already had over 2 years of experience.

now at age 49, i know what works and what gives you a workout

the basic design of a sectional is both safer and does a better job of grabbing, cutting and retrieving. i don't expect you to know that, but the ones who have used both machines for years would know exactly what i'm referring to.

rick.

Rick,

With all do respect please don't underestimate me. At age 18 I started out at a local high pile textile mill as a knitting operator and at age 24 I was their lead technician flying/traveling around the world purchasing new & used equipment for the thriving company in the early 1990's. I was a rookie that bolted ahead of mechanics with 30+ years of experience and sadly most held that against me.

At age 35 I left the mill for a higher paying job at GM. Working on the assembly line I was first inserted as a relief person and was considered one of the best shortly after I started.

I've been on this earth long enough to know who & what I am. It's not how long you've been at a trade but how good you are as a person, at understanding, learning from yours & others mistakes, taking in & preforming the tasks at hand, etc......

A person with 1 years experience can certainly be more knowledgeable than a person with 30+ years of experience (take no offense). It all depends on the person and I'm sure you're well aware of this as it happens in all aspects of life.

Maybe you can your bags to Wisconsin and I'll gladly show you some ropes
                          Last edited by AssTyme; 05-06-2012, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Here's some quick pics I took this afternoon. Hope they help you, tool.

Name:  7872dd6cd52c7ad516b3a517b7f1d32d.jpg
Size:  67.5 KBName:  72593adb80628d82e6eaf733ad783f50.jpg
Size:  69.9 KBName:  db799438d99b91caf297ef362818d377.jpg
Size:  68.2 KBName:  06d767a41e68704614abb848b6bed0a8.jpg
Size:  66.2 KBName:  b83aae586a05191174eb19afd2e4ba9e.jpg
Size:  82.7 KBName:  845ee07fe0835ffd54cb77cb24e32293.jpg
Size:  175.6 KB
                            Name:  592d37ed03686937f07ea858f7df1581.jpg
Size:  70.1 KB
                            Wow, I don't think We'll read of that sucker breaking ! Thanks Tool PS ,Is that a reverse auger at the back ?
                            Last edited by toolaholic; 05-06-2012, 06:23 AM. Reason: Second look

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                              Rick,

With all do respect please don't underestimate me. At age 18 I started out at a local high pile textile mill as a knitting operator and at age 24 I was their lead technician flying/traveling around the world purchasing new & used equipment for the thriving company in the early 1990's. I was a rookie that bolted ahead of mechanics with 30+ years of experience and sadly most held that against me.

At age 35 I left the mill for a higher paying job at GM. Working on the assembly line I was first inserted as a relief person and was considered one of the best shortly after I started.

I've been on this earth long enough to know who & what I am. It's not how long you've been at a trade but how good you are as a person, at understanding, learning from yours & others mistakes, taking in & preforming the tasks at hand, etc......

A person with 1 years experience can certainly be more knowledgeable than a person with 30+ years of experience (take no offense). It all depends on the person and I'm sure you're well aware of this as it happens in all aspects of life.

Maybe you can your bags to Wisconsin and I'll gladly show you some ropes
                              why bother going to wisconsin when we all had the opportunity to go to ohio and do our thing. of course more canceled than showed up and ruined it for all the rest that truly took the time and money to attend both times.

work ethics are a great thing. but remember that drain cleaning is a combination of work ethics, desire to get it open and clean, equipment choice and hands on experience.

2 years and minimal equipment choices doesn't give you all that much experience on the vast amount of drain cleaning equipment and types of stoppages out there.

you might have the work ethics based on your resume, but never owning a sectional gives you a "0" in believability. not bashing you, but setting the record straight.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X