X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat sewer tape how to use?

Just wondering, how do you use them? Does it push the blockage? How far can you push the tape? Why doesn't it just fold in on itself?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Flat sewer tape how to use?

Most of the people I know cut what they can't get out of a vent. The good 100' tape by General are pretty stought.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

for the most part it just blows a hole through the stoppage. since it doesn't actually rotate, it is considered old school and works similar to an electricians fish tape. of course it comes in different thicknesses and widths, it also has a couple different leaders such as a rolling head.

and if you ever let it spring out of the cage, run like hell.

ben, i hope you didn't already buy 1

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

LOL not buying one but I looked at an old Ridgid ad and thought I know how to use all those machine except one....the flat tape. Just got curious. How far can you push those things? What did they do for roots?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The distance you could push it depended on the degree of resistance.
          Obviously, tapes were very limited in usefulness, and useless on root masses.
          Didn't take long for the industry to come up with something better.
          Hence, the evolution to rods, then cables.
          BTW, I've always liked that avatar.
          Better than the piss tubes of my day which were expended 155mm artillery casings.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            for the most part it just blows a hole through the stoppage. since it doesn't actually rotate, it is considered old school and works similar to an electricians fish tape. of course it comes in different thicknesses and widths, it also has a couple different leaders such as a rolling head.

and if you ever let it spring out of the cage, run like hell.

ben, i hope you didn't already buy 1

rick.

I got a scar on my forehead to back up your commit. Felt like Mike Tyson decked me in his prime when I had one unwind on me once loading it into a truck.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
              I got a scar on my forehead to back up your commit. Felt like Mike Tyson decked me in his prime when I had one unwind on me once loading it into a truck.

What the hell were you doing messing around with a sewer tape ?

Comment

The commercial Plumber I was working for at the time did very little repair work. When we had to clear blockages, it was with a sewer tape.
                Will Rogers Plumbing
                Moore, Oklahoma
                (
                405) 323-2852

Comment

We had a 100' x 1" tape snake that had rollers on the end. Must have weighed 75 lbs. For the most part useless until we completed a high rise that had lots of construction debris. Bottles, bags, wood, metal, whatever the tweakers could shove down an open pipe. The k1500 would just bind up. The tape snake allows you to to really hammer away on hard stoppages. It cracked one PVC sweep but broke up and cleared the stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    We had a 100' x 1" tape snake that had rollers on the end. Must have weighed 75 lbs. For the most part useless until we completed a high rise that had lots of construction debris. Bottles, bags, wood, metal, whatever the tweakers could shove down an open pipe. The k1500 would just bind up. The tape snake allows you to to really hammer away on hard stoppages. It cracked one PVC sweep but broke up and cleared the stoppage.
                    PVC On a Hi Rise ? Not here!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We kept them on our truck. They work well, under rated. We use them to catch the inlit pipe of a septic tank. Some times they are all that is needed. Used it two weeks ago from the tank to the d.box. A spartan 300 had been working on it for an hour. The sludge just kept closing in behind it. The ball of the push rod "pushed" the sludge out of the pipe. But they are ethier quick and easy or they are very hard to work.

Comment

The most common main line flat tape comes in 125' lengths. I have one on my truck. Also have a 200' one in the garage.

My father knew a guy that had flat tapes of all sizes on his truck, no electric machines. This guy was in his 70's and if he could not get a sewer open with his flat tape and called you to power rod it (which was very rare) plan on spending a few hours there with the power rod.

There is a city here if you make a repair in orangburg sewer lines, they want to see you run a flat tape through the remaining orangburg with a 3" ball on the end. If it hits any resistance at all they make you replace the rest of the sewer.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Anyone know of a good sewer tape manufacturer? I think I should have one on the truck now, would come in handy sometime when there is foreign objects in the line like bottles and the like.
                          Will Rogers Plumbing
                          Moore, Oklahoma
                          (
                          405) 323-2852

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                            Anyone know of a good sewer tape manufacturer? I think I should have one on the truck now, would come in handy sometime when there is foreign objects in the line like bottles and the like.
                            Allan J Coleman has been making flat tapes as far back as I can remember (used to go there as a kid with my father) and they still do.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

General makes all sizes. I like the 50'. Too thin and they are floppy and useless. Too big and they are hard too work.

Comment

Working...
                              X