X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable machine safety and gloves

Want to share this as much as possible as I was very lucky and want you all to never have to be.

Nearly ripped my left thumb off a couple days ago. Rubber glove, like an ugly glove but a different brand, a little loose on my hand. Cable caught a bit of the loose glove and got a wrap folded under. 3/4" drum machine w/o a foot switch. Right hand was holding left wrist keeping whole arm from getting sucked around (cable turning away from me) and could not let go to hit switch. Frantically trying to hit switch with knee when cable snapped. Snapped in drum fortunately. Still amazed at my good luck that the cable broke before my thumb. Swollen and stiff but still attached and not even broken. Crazy lucky.

Analysis:
    - need a foot switch or other sort of deadman switch
    - have had trouble with rubber gloves before and knew the danger, but continued to wear them; stupidity is a factor
    - loose fitting gloves are dangerous. The convenience of easy removal is not worth it.
    - tight fitting leather gloves only from now on
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Cable machine safety and gloves

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
    Want to share this as much as possible as I was very lucky and want you all to never have to be.

Nearly ripped my left thumb off a couple days ago. Rubber glove, like an ugly glove but a different brand, a little loose on my hand. Cable caught a bit of the loose glove and got a wrap folded under. 3/4" drum machine w/o a foot switch. Right hand was holding left wrist keeping whole arm from getting sucked around (cable turning away from me) and could not let go to hit switch. Frantically trying to hit switch with knee when cable snapped. Snapped in drum fortunately. Still amazed at my good luck that the cable broke before my thumb. Swollen and stiff but still attached and not even broken. Crazy lucky.

Analysis:
    - need a foot switch or other sort of deadman switch
    - have had trouble with rubber gloves before and knew the danger, but continued to wear them; stupidity is a factor
    - loose fitting gloves are dangerous. The convenience of easy removal is not worth it.
    - tight fitting leather gloves only from now on
    Someone upstairs was watching over You ! I use the brown ugly gloves,and they are tight fitting. Glad You're OK .
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

alex i'm glad you're ok. and happy to know you knew the risk you took and mistake you made.

i've switched over to all leather high cuff welding gloves. the rubber ugly gloves were no match for the high speed sectional.

for everyone reading that's not 100% aware of safety with machines.

of course a foot switch would have allowed you to shut the power to the drum machine motor, but the drum on most machines would continue to have rotated especially with the weight of the cable in the drum and the flywheel affect. some of the newer machines stop faster than others because of the motor design.

a sectional machine because of the clutch design stops instantly once you release the handle. that's why a sectional only has an on off switch and not a required foot switch like a drum machine.

alex. 1 last thing that i know i've mentioned many times over. you also need to install a foot pedal or hand shut off gun on your jetter. which meas you need to install your unloader or a relief valve on your machines. if that hose / nozzle ever came out of the line while running, i wouldn't want to be in the same room as it.

glad you're fine and happy you wrote about the dangers of the equipment.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

scary to just read about, I tried a set of rubber gloves once, only once tho, I did not get caught to the extent, like you did and I did have a foot switch,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Even with the instant off of a sectional I can still see a finger coming off or breaking. I do like the mitts for open wind cables.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Thanks Alex, very good lesson.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

not to start the drum vs sectional thing again but the only machines you can rent here are drums. every time i get a call that starts off with, "i rented a machine and ..." i shudder. they go out with no gloves/mitts and very little "training". i'm surprised more people (homeowners, etc) don't get hurt.

glad you got through the experience with very little damage. AND it's a good reminder to all of us about safety.
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Glad God was with you!!! Probably happened to share here and warn others. Thanks Rick for helping us so much. God bless this forum and it members.

Comment

K-60 I use the ridgid leather mitt with the metal studs, seems like the safest. Open to a better glove suggestion.

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
                    K-60 I use the ridgid leather mitt with the metal studs, seems like the safest. Open to a better glove suggestion.

wookie
                    i've had very good luck and results with heavy leather high cuff welding gloves. 3 pairs for $12.00 harbor freight.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      i've had very good luck and results with heavy leather high cuff welding gloves. 3 pairs for $12.00 harbor freight.

rick.
                      I'll check it out. I get my nitrile gloves, red mechanic rags and stanley knock off part organizers there. HF good place for consumables.

wookie

Comment

i've had decent luck with heavy leather work gloves. the biggest issue is when the leather gets thin between the thumb and index finger. that's when (and where) the open wind cable tends to want to grab. the studded mitts are arguably the safest way to go just a PITA to use all of the time
                        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X