SeeSnake Plus Star/Ball Guides....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeeSnake Plus Star/Ball Guides....

Are you guys using the trimmable star or the ball guides on your SeeSnake plus in 4" cast lines ? Looks like the star guides could easily get you stuck (no taper & very thin) ??? Also looks like they would cause a lot of drag.

The ball guides that came with the unit are 3 1/4" in diameter and won't fit in over half of the cleanouts around here.

Are you generally running a guide on both the front and rear of the spring?

I'm thinking I need to get some smaller ball guides.
    Last edited by AssTyme; 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM.

Re: SeeSnake Plus Star/Ball Guides....

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
    Are you guys using the trimmable star or the ball guides on your SeeSnake plus in 4" cast lines ? Looks like the star guides could easily get you stuck (no taper & very thin) ??? Also looks like they would cause a lot of drag.

The ball guides that came with the unit are 3 1/4" in diameter and won't fit in over half of the cleanouts around here.

Are you generally running a guide on both the front and rear of the spring?

I'm thinking I need to get some smaller ball guides.
    I Find the trimmable star guides difficult to use in CI. I actually don't use the guides that often in 4" CI. Usually I can see just fine with the camera head directly on the bottom of the pipe.
    BTW I rent the reels and they do not come with any guides. The ones I have used I had to buy.

You could try trimming the 3.25" ones down carefully on a bench grinder??

Comment

always run ball guides whenever possible. it cuts down the wear and tear on the spring and front of the camera. also allows the muck to stay off the lens. usually i only run 1 ball guide up front or 2 star guides front and rear.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I just got off the horn with Ridgid and they're telling me that for the SeeSnake plus the smallest ball guide they make is 3 1/4" ???

Anyone know of another manufacturer or a aftermarket ball guide around 2" or 2 1/2" ???

Or am I going to have to take the 3 1/4" ones to the grinder............

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          I Find the trimmable star guides difficult to use in CI. I actually don't use the guides that often in 4" CI. Usually I can see just fine with the camera head directly on the bottom of the pipe.
          BTW I rent the reels and they do not come with any guides. The ones I have used I had to buy.

You could try trimming the 3.25" ones down carefully on a bench grinder??

It's ALL your fault !!!

Comment

And it looks as if they are only sold in packs of 10 for around $100.00

Comment

I bet many other camera manufacturers use the same size heads or pretty close. I would get an exact measurement out of your book and start calling other manufacturers. It can't be that many different manufacturers of the camera heads themselves. The Mytana looks good. If they are solid you could trim them sown to whatever.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Pipe Inspection Camera Skids
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

The Ridgid guide balls have a 1 3/8" bore with the camera head being around .010" - .015" less.

Doesn't look like the MyTana guides will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post

Not sure about most of those all I need is a cheap round piece of plastic with a lock to raise the head a little

Maybe AJ Coleman would sell me just 2 ???

Comment

The Ridgid guide balls have a 1 3/8" bore with the camera head being around .010" - .015" less.

Doesn't look like the MyTana guides will work.
                      I wonder if Tatted 79 could tell you if his Mytana guide is solid. If it is, a drill, tap, and a set screw that you could grind down so it is flush with the outside of the ball after it is tightened will work.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

i buy them by the piece. the 10 pack is the bulk packaging. even i don't buy 10 at a time. 3 at a time is good for me.

jm mckinney will hook you up.

800-821-7275 or 310-978-9650 jeff is a former salesman from ridgid. ups in a couple days and you're up and running. they even sell propress and fittings.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I bought some camera skids from Mr Allstar sewer Equipment a few years ago and am very happy with the ease that they attack and how the skid protects the front of the camera/

I looked on there website tonight and I could not see them but you might email them directly/

This thread was from december 09

Simon

allstarsewerequipment
                          Occupation
                          Sales Manager
                          Re: SeeSnake Accessories
                          We use and sell a front camera skid that protects the camera head and lens much like a general skid or raetech skid. It lifts the camera out of the water and it will make the camera head last a lot longer. Most Ridgid camera heads that get a bad picture are from the light lens and module lens being scratched up over time. I attatched a picture this is our skid for 4" and up. We also make one that is for 3" pipe. By the way there are 3 allen set screws that you tighten down on the sides to keep the skid from coming off.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                            I bought some camera skids from Mr Allstar sewer Equipment a few years ago and am very happy with the ease that they attack and how the skid protects the front of the camera/

I looked on there website tonight and I could not see them but you might email them directly/

This thread was from december 09

Simon

allstarsewerequipment
                            Occupation
                            Sales Manager
                            Re: SeeSnake Accessories
                            We use and sell a front camera skid that protects the camera head and lens much like a general skid or raetech skid. It lifts the camera out of the water and it will make the camera head last a lot longer. Most Ridgid camera heads that get a bad picture are from the light lens and module lens being scratched up over time. I attatched a picture this is our skid for 4" and up. We also make one that is for 3" pipe. By the way there are 3 allen set screws that you tighten down on the sides to keep the skid from coming off.

I called Terry today they are $25.00 each

Comment

I called Terry today they are $25.00 each
                              That's cheap for many skids. It is a lot cheaper than a new head.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                              X