X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roots; jetting vs cable

Neglected clay line choked with roots. Poor access choices; 3" co at eye level in annoying tight space around corners and through doors, 1 90 to relatively straight run in 4", or via pulled toilet through 90 and two san t's (one into stack and one on its back at bottom). This in cast then ~30' to clay through one 45, then to main in clay at ~125'. roots most every 4', most insignificant, real problems at ~30', 40', 80' and a solid mass from ~112' to the main.

Total of 12 hrs on this. Some of it was caution as I had been told to expect orangeburg and was going slow and careful to pop it and see what it was. Some was the ~3 hr I didn't bill because I broke my snake and didn't get anything done (this was the thumb incident) and some other wheel spinning. Most was the poor access and the incredibly tenacious roots.

I jetted, popped it, camera'd, wasn't sure of matl, jetted to clean it up, verified it clay, mapped roots, jetted more, camera'd again, then fought the mass from 112' out with no success for a long time. Could not punch into it with a nozzle to cut with the rear facing jets.

Went to snake, had the incident, repaired snake and returned (with foot switch, new gloves, and helper) and put a ~2" bit through the mass. camera to make sure not collapsed or bad cracked by roots so no risk of pulling roof in with jetter, then went back to RR and WT3/8 with no success. Put a ~2 1/2" bit through it on a whip, worked it hard until no resistance and moving easily through the mass. re camera - roots still massively there, now swirled where bit went through them, and now, after great effort, I finally get the RR through and start eating them. Takes another hour of jet/cam/jet/cam to get them all gone.

This is the second real horror show like this I've had. In both cases there was a ton of slope on the lot and I think the roots got as bad as they did before showing a problem because the slope helped it drain slow through them.

In both cases I could not get a nozzle through w/o cutting a path with the snake. This one was also hampered by a slowish water supply. I could only make 4kpsi with RR. With good water I can do much more. I'll push it to 4500 or 4700 sometimes, which is over pressuring my hose, to punch through with a running start and to cut better once through.

In both cases I could get the snake through, but it did a very disappointing job and there'd have been comebacks w/o the jetting it clean afterward.

I get these masses of tiny roots, less than 1/8" dia, but just masses of them. when they get thick and get some length to them they are very hard to punch through.

Unless I'm missing something there just wasn't a way to do a credible job on this without both snake and jetter (and camera too for that matter).

Thoughts? You see this type of stoppage? Does it kick your butt too? Is there a better faster way?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Roots; jetting vs cable

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
    Neglected clay line choked with roots. Poor access choices; 3" co at eye level in annoying tight space around corners and through doors, 1 90 to relatively straight run in 4", or via pulled toilet through 90 and two san t's (one into stack and one on its back at bottom). This in cast then ~30' to clay through one 45, then to main in clay at ~125'. roots most every 4', most insignificant, real problems at ~30', 40', 80' and a solid mass from ~112' to the main.

Total of 12 hrs on this. Some of it was caution as I had been told to expect orangeburg and was going slow and careful to pop it and see what it was. Some was the ~3 hr I didn't bill because I broke my snake and didn't get anything done (this was the thumb incident) and some other wheel spinning. Most was the poor access and the incredibly tenacious roots.

I jetted, popped it, camera'd, wasn't sure of matl, jetted to clean it up, verified it clay, mapped roots, jetted more, camera'd again, then fought the mass from 112' out with no success for a long time. Could not punch into it with a nozzle to cut with the rear facing jets.

Went to snake, had the incident, repaired snake and returned (with foot switch, new gloves, and helper) and put a ~2" bit through the mass. camera to make sure not collapsed or bad cracked by roots so no risk of pulling roof in with jetter, then went back to RR and WT3/8 with no success. Put a ~2 1/2" bit through it on a whip, worked it hard until no resistance and moving easily through the mass. re camera - roots still massively there, now swirled where bit went through them, and now, after great effort, I finally get the RR through and start eating them. Takes another hour of jet/cam/jet/cam to get them all gone.

This is the second real horror show like this I've had. In both cases there was a ton of slope on the lot and I think the roots got as bad as they did before showing a problem because the slope helped it drain slow through them.

In both cases I could not get a nozzle through w/o cutting a path with the snake. This one was also hampered by a slowish water supply. I could only make 4kpsi with RR. With good water I can do much more. I'll push it to 4500 or 4700 sometimes, which is over pressuring my hose, to punch through with a running start and to cut better once through.

In both cases I could get the snake through, but it did a very disappointing job and there'd have been comebacks w/o the jetting it clean afterward.

I get these masses of tiny roots, less than 1/8" dia, but just masses of them. when they get thick and get some length to them they are very hard to punch through.

Unless I'm missing something there just wasn't a way to do a credible job on this without both snake and jetter (and camera too for that matter).

Thoughts? You see this type of stoppage? Does it kick your butt too? Is there a better faster way?
    Your day must have been akin to the Marines landing on Iwo Jima.! Great work!
    Any Blood ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: Roots; jetting vs cable

alex, the big issue was the fact that the sewer, slope and distance was masking the real nastyness of the sewer.

unless you can attack it from a reverse cleanout, all your doing is shooting water into the already plugged line and really killing / drowning your power.

when i get something like this, i attack it with a 4f-6r 18gpm at 4000 nozzle. the 4f will blast a hole pretty quick and allow the rear jets to cut and also the rr to really kick in.

i've toyed with some of my own nozzle design and depending on the access i can drill through 3/4'' plywood in a very short time. but then again i have the water/ pressure and machine to kill it. of course flooding could be an issue and if it's an issue, then i will hit it with the cable first to allow for some drainage.

you know what you're doing, so it was either a equipment issue or a s.o.b and now you're good to go for the future.

glad to hear the rest of the snake story.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
      X