my new double barrel root rangers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: my new double barrel root rangers

i could be able to do that as long as the wifey approves it haha you know the real boss lol

Comment

the wifey and kids are invited and expected to attend. phoebe and joey along with bens family and marks family, and adam and mellie, steve are regulars. then there are others every now and then.

will give you a heads up for the next one. typically around sherman oaks 405/101.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

yeah lemme know please

Comment

Rick...
          You were game running the DBRR through the 3" drain!

I use it in our 4" sewer drains, no problem.
          We have 3.5" storm water pipe over here with very tight 90 degree bends. The standard RR is fine but not the DBRR.... although I have never thought to try it.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          the more i use it, the more i'm amazed with what it can do.

only had a 3'' outside abs c/o that picked up a 4'' main underground downstream. line 100% plugged with ficus roots in a 6'' lateral. figured i'll try to see if the double barrel root ranger can navigate the 3'' and drop into the 4'' then continue into the 6'' main.

i doubt they designed the double for a 3'' line with 90's, but guess what? it navigated the 3'' into the 4'' and cleared the 6'' to the 60' mark before i pulled it back. coming back was not a real challenge as it got stuck, i just powered it up and went downstream, turning the hose to find the proper angle to pull back out of the 3'' pipe and fittings.

home owner was use to every 6 months of snaking due to a 3'' c/o. i was recommended by the regular plumber to jet the line. something tells me the double root ranger will not be back for a while

enjoy the photos.

sludge and roots washing back from the 3'' c/o.

rick.
          Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

just thought i would refresh my double barrel thread.

cleanout runs 6'6'' deep and then transitions to an abs comby, continues to 4'' clay then another 30' of 6'' clay. a combination of roots and paper towels.

45 minutes total job time including roll out and pack up. roots were blowing back up the comby from over 30' away. amazing jet power. i might start using this with my 18 hp. 5.6 gpm 3500# jetter and reserve the larger twin turbine with #7 nozzles for my trailer 4000 at 18 gpm. hate to be anywhere near that kind of flow or high pitch whining.

rick.

Attached Files
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-26-2012, 11:22 PM.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Just out of curiosity Rick, would a set of hearing muffs keep the noise of the jetter and pressure unit to a safe level? After talking to the health and safety guys its amazing on what tools can cause hearing loss.

Comment

about the only time i use hearing protection is when i'm cutting concrete with my high speed saw. i own the noise canceling ones that are electronic and you can actually hear people, but it cancels the loud stuff.

usually my jetter is parked on the street and the noise is not an issue. it's actually helpful to listen to the cutting action.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

the nozzle is the cheap part. it's the jetter that gets to be expensive.

rick.
                  i was going to say, I think I can afford the rr nozzles but the machine to power those babys are whats expensive.

the max pump I can find online to rig on the back of my truck would be a 8gpm pressure washer, No Welds to Crack, Break, or Fail General Belt Drive Pump Gen. Pump Pulsar Unloader Valve with EZ Start 8 GPM @ 3000 PSI, 20 HP Honda Engine 50' High Pressure Hose with QC's Gun and Wand Assembly with QC's Maxi-Flo Chemical Injector with QC's Lifetim
                  basically the same thing as a jetter.

anything bigger then 8gpm I think you would have to buy the 18gpm rig/truck designated just for jetting, am i right rick?

Comment

biggest issue with high gpm is the water supply. psi is easy to attain. the gpm gets expensive and tricky without a water supply.

but an 8gpm at 3000 psi with the double rr will make those rotors scream and the the roots cry

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

biggest issue with high gpm is the water supply. psi is easy to attain. the gpm gets expensive and tricky without a water supply.

but an 8gpm at 3000 psi with the double rr will make those rotors scream and the the roots cry

rick.
                      Thank you very much PR on your posts in here. I'm going to get a jetter. Its got to be a cart. I'm worried about water supply so think the big brute with the holding tank is gonna be my choice 9gpm 4000psi. Though i would like my choice to be the bruiser plus rated at 6gpm 4000psi, would that get roots out of a 6" with the right nozzle. I just don't see be able to get over 5gpm on hose bibs in the old houses around here, and in Long Beach where i do most my work. And screwing up the engine by not giving it what its rated for. I'm OK dealing with a holding tank to aid me to attack just the root section. Im So Ca. Do you know someone who has a jnw jetter and would come down to Knotts Berry farm and demo it for me, and get paid for it of course. I have a root intrusion job, 40 ft from the clean out Im putting in tomorrow. Thanks for your time.

Comment

the 9gpm on a double rr will kick butt.

only issue is that will be a heavy cart jetter with the size of the motor and pump, plus the holding tank.

is this staying inside your truck or is it going to be portable?

best bet is to contact jnw and see if they have an end user close by with that machine. tell them you'll treat them to knotts berry farm or disneyland. i know my wife and daughter would be all over that.

i'm going to look up the specs on both machines and see what they are.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have space and a winch set up for the big brute. But that is the reason why I wanted the 6gpm 4k psi bruiser plus, a little smaller but no reserve tank. I've talked with jnw about someone around here, no luck so far. So do you think the 6gpm w/o a holding tank and not being able to rely on water supply at job site falls short on a big root intrusion in 6 inch.
                          Thanks again Rick,
                          Robert

Comment

6 gpm @ 4 k with a root ranger will handle 6" with roots no problem!

Problem is supplying the machine with water.. i have 5.5gpm @ 3500psi and certain houses with galv and or reducing valves at the meter i cant get enough water.

Comment

a single barrel root ranger is easier to spin in the pipe as it's a smaller piece of steel and sits pretty flat on its side. the double is more triangular and covers a larger area. though it's harder to rotate due to shape and size, it does cover a larger percentage of the pipe.

you should be able to get 6 gpm from most hose bibbs. just use a good quality hose that doesn't collapse.

if need be you can make your own portable holding tank from a small waste can. using a water float or even a side mounted ballcock. but you have to make sure that you don't introduce air bubbles into the pump.

i also have a very similar spec jetter as jhplumbing. it's 18hp 5.6 gpm at 3500#. i'm using it on wednesday at a condo complex in wla if you want to come down and see it work. i won't be doing roots though on this project. just preventative cleaning of the lines.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

That would be awesome, my phone number is 562:::::::lol I'l pm you. Thanks so much. I will check the foot print and weightof both those but for an extra 1500 4 MORE GPM AND 9 more horses and a 12gallon reserve is the way.
                                And again I'm honored and greatly appreciatively your invitation. Smile
                                Robert
                                Ps. Clean out is in, and now need some water power.

Comment

Working...
                                X