X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drill and eel

give me the low down. i have been drain cleaning and plumbing for sometime now at several companies with alot of old school plumbers and have NEVER seen or really even heard of this.... either rick or will rogers will have to chime in and give me some examples or pictures of there setups.... and what not.

Re: drill and eel

AssTyme will be the man to ask as well.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Yes drill and Eel is a total root massacre

I spin my 8' x 1.25" with 1/2" inner core Eel cables with a Dewalt DW124 (300rpm) but just yesterday purchased a Milwaukee 1660-6 to try as it spins at 450rpm.

All you need to start is a good drill, some Eel or General 8' cable & cutters (and a 4' length or two) and a Eel model C output shaft & coupler.

Brother UnclogNH recently posted this video

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
        Yes drill and Eel is a total root massacre

I spin my 8' x 1.25" with 1/2" inner core Eel cables with a Dewalt DW124 (300rpm) but just yesterday purchased a Milwaukee 1660-6 to try as it spins at 450rpm.

All you need to start is a good drill, some Eel or General 8' cable & cutters (and a 4' length or two) and a Eel model C output shaft & coupler.

Brother UnclogNH recently posted this video

hahah ROOT MURDER and ok got a question for ya though why not just run your ML machine with some good cutters......it just seems to me that you would have a higher chance in getting the cabe stuck with all that torque build up. is this just for limited access jobs for like roof stacks and whatnot..... typically for us out here the problem is 90% of the time at the easement which is typically 60-100 feet out.... from the CO were cabling from so what im trying to say is your spinning in that much cable by hand or drill i guess. i just dont have any knowledge of this secret weapon that i have never been taught by the oldschoolers. hell even my dad(47 years exp) has no idea what im talking about but hes the man with a sewer tape

Comment

I have eel/"L" connector but after trying the "G" connector, I like that one better. Push as much cable as you can by hand, I can go about 54' no problem through a c/o. connect the cable and go. Big thing is not to let any slack develop when running the cable. Always pull back on the drill just a little bit.

I have the dewalt dw124 and like it. It has a clutch(which I've never stopped) which is a great safety feature. This setup will not be for speed production drain cleaning. It's for tight access where the stoppages are tough.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

let's try again
            the 10' sections of 1.25'' general innercore cable and dewalt timberwolf 300 rpm triple gear reduced joist drill is a combination that will get anything flowing that a cable and cutter is used for. i carry 130' plus 2 x 4' sections when the nasty stuff is 1' or so beyond a 10' coupling. this allows for the 4' section of extra heavy wind cable to apply the torque and not have 9' outside the line. of course a massive amount of torque is developed that if not carefully countered and know when enough is enough, you could end up wearing the cable around your neck

i have every style of cutter and auger available and even have designed some of my own. i've never been stuck where i couldn't get out and i run full size cutter 90% of the time.

you need proper gloves and a good feel for the cable, and sound and torque that's developed. there are times i'll have 30-40' of cable outside the pipe and forward rotation will self feed the cable in and reverse will self feed out.

the advantage to carrying the eel or general 82/88 is the space savings and weight to transport in and out and up and down. 5 years of this and have never been stuck where i needed help or a shovel

best is to learn with a helper close by. too many risk by yourself with no first hand experience.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              I have eel/"L" connector but after trying the "G" connector, I like that one better.
              i wonder where you tried that

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I would recommend going with the 8' sections. 10' out the hole on the stoppage can be unwieldy.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  let's try again
                  the 10' sections of 1.25'' general innercore cable and dewalt timberwolf 300 rpm triple gear reduced joist drill is a combination that will get anything flowing that a cable and cutter is used for. i carry 130' plus 2 x 4' sections when the nasty stuff is 1' or so beyond a 10' coupling. this allows for the 4' section of extra heavy wind cable to apply the torque and not have 9' outside the line. of course a massive amount of torque is developed that if not carefully countered and know when enough is enough, you could end up wearing the cable around your neck

i have every style of cutter and auger available and even have designed some of my own. i've never been stuck where i couldn't get out and i run full size cutter 90% of the time.

you need proper gloves and a good feel for the cable, and sound and torque that's developed. there are times i'll have 30-40' of cable outside the pipe and forward rotation will self feed the cable in and reverse will self feed out.

the advantage to carrying the eel or general 82/88 is the space savings and weight to transport in and out and up and down. 5 years of this and have never been stuck where i needed help or a shovel

best is to learn with a helper close by. too many risk by yourself with no first hand experience.

rick.

Why the mad face ???

I just wear cheap azz disposable gloves. The only time I ever touch the cable is to do/undo sections.

Comment

you know when you have typed the whole reply and out of nowhere it's gone been there before

there are many times i'm handling more than a 10' section. the leather welding gloves allows me to grip/ guide the cable and not get a rubber glove overheated and wrapped up.

my 1/2'' drill chuck is like polished chrome from letting the glove rub on it.

the general 10' sections are 20% longer than the 8' sections. basically 3 less cable changes when running a 100' line. my motor cycle tires hold 40' with no issues. the 2- 4' sections gives me a lot of flexibility to apply real torque when needed.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

this looks like a great idea but until i see it in person and truely see its potential i cant ustiy spending 1100-1800 bucks on it.... dont realy know the cost of a system setup just winged it

Comment

I use the 14ft Ridgid cables, I did not want to buy another set of cables.

I also use the trap leaders which are 2ft long and I have four of them which like Rick suggests has a maximum amount of 8ft hanging out of the drain, although you can adjust with the trap leaders.

I have used this with great success and have the adaptor to go into a slow spinning drill.

Someone mentioned about the torque in the cable if the cable gets stuck, worst case scenario, if it gets out of control drop the drill, it is not rocket science.

With the 4 trap leaders it is great to auger a trap that has roots just the other side of the trap seal.

I also use this set if the mainline is clear on the outside of the house and blocked between the toilet and mainline.

The system spins the cutters easily.

I started using this system four years ago after reading what others had done on this forum.

Simon

Comment

simon, the metric to american measurement should be 15' glad you guys downunder are using our american trick. just like the root ranger trick you've shared with us.

have you seen my double barrel root ranger post? bills got a winner

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I use the Drill and Eel mostly for roof drains. I have 1.25" and 7/8" Electric Eel cables. I run 8' sections for the 1.25" and 6" sections for the 7/8". There are times when access is limited that I will use the Drill and Eel through a cleanout, but I prefer to use the Model C over the Drill when I can. The main advantage for me (since basements are rare here) is for roof vents. Can't tell you how many lines I have opened up from the roof with the drill that other companies have walked away from. Worth eery penny it cost to get the set up imo. Some may call me crazy, but I don't where gloves with the Electric Eel cable.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

ohh man this is super ironic just like everything else..... i could have used this today..... LOL...... damn ROOTZ i got em all though.... but on another note i caught one of my coworkers tring to just pop a hole and bounce..... dont worry i scolded him, considering im the owners son but yeah the day after i learn of this get detup BAM could have used it

Comment

Working...
                              X