Why the price difference in pumps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the price difference in pumps

Looking at jetting pumps. For the price of 1 cat pump, I can buy 4 AR pumps. What gives, cat that much or AR that cheap? What do you consider the best pump for the price?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Why the price difference in pumps

buy cheap buy twice? jjk lol

Comment

it's not just the initial cost of the pump, but the repair parts down the road that will get you.

most pumps are made in italy. the cat is made in japan. some pumps are made in germany and are also expensive.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
        buy cheap buy twice? jjk lol
        I deserve that but at that price difference, is it worth it? I can buy 2 ar pumps, one is the backup if the one on the engine breaks downs. the rest of the money difference can buy a whole lot of repair parts.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What type of pump you looking at? Direct Drive, Gear Reducing, or Belt and Pulley? The pump is going to be the most important part to your jetter imo(even more so than the engine/motor). Cat is worth the price imo.
          Will Rogers Plumbing
          Moore, Oklahoma
          (
          405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
          http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

cat pump 1560 belt drive
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

If your going with a belt drive, might want to look at General Pumps also. They are a good pump and probably cheaper than a Cat. Udor also, not sure if they are any cheaper though.
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Udor doesn't have something comparable and General has one that has just a little higher specs then the cat but cost 2k more.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, what psi and gpm specs are you looking for? i think the resources of the forum members can find or recommend a proven winner.

let me guess you're looking for 14 gpm at 4000#

psi is cheap, gpm cost money. sometimes a double pump and engine setup would make more sense and cost less too. more common engine and pump is less money than uncommon pump and engine.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

8gpm 4000psi
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Cat : "The pump with 9 life's" Cats used to be the best pump there was hence the high price but they rested on top and other companies started producing good pumps, AR, General, Udor. They are not the best anymore just a good quality pump but they still have the high price. I thought I saw udor pumps in the 4000psi 8 GPM range (with 24hp) I would not spend the money on a cat pump, use that money for hose or nozzles.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

ben, you might also think of getting 2 pumps and 2 engines of smaller size.

i've had a general pump for over 15 years with no issues.5.6 at 3500 with 18hp vanguard gear reduced bolt on. for around $3500. you can have 2 pumps and 2 engines. that will give you plenty of power on 1 pump for 1.5''-3'' and on 4-6'' both pumps. the double barrel root ranger will sing at 11 gpm.

might be better than 1 large engine and pump, plus it gives you a backup and less costly to run when you're doing smaller pipe.

of course there are plenty of other small size set ups that will also work.

rick.

ps. you could always get the setup that spanien‎ is being sold and have the best of both worlds with 11hp.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          ben, you might also think of getting 2 pumps and 2 engines of smaller size.

i've had a general pump for over 15 years with no issues.5.6 at 3500 with 18hp vanguard gear reduced bolt on. for around $3500. you can have 2 pumps and 2 engines. that will give you plenty of power on 1 pump for 1.5''-3'' and on 4-6'' both pumps. the double barrel root ranger will sing at 11 gpm.

might be better than 1 large engine and pump, plus it gives you a backup and less costly to run when you're doing smaller pipe.

of course there are plenty of other small size set ups that will also work.

rick.

ps. you could always get the setup that spanien‎ is being sold and have the best of both worlds with 11hp.
                          You know he is going to read this and you will be starting from scratch....again.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • conductor fault locating
                          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

not worried about ben as he and i talk and he does his research first.

but spanien is a soap opera at this point. nothing like i told you so more than once.

why can't he just order something from the states or even ebay with real specs is beyond me.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

My post was towards your Spanish friend.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • conductor fault locating
                              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                              X