X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine/pump pulley size

How do figure that formula out? I just don't get it.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Engine/pump pulley size

this pretty much applies just to a belt setup. direct drive is either full speed or a gear reducer.

the pump has a maximum speed that it's rated for. the engine is typically rated for 3200-3600 rpm. the larger pulley goes on the pump while the smaller one goes on the engine.

if the pump requires 1100 rpm, then it pretty much needs a pulley with a circumference 3x larger than the engine. 3300 rpm / 3 = 1100.

the pump will have an rpm spec and the engine will have a power curve. i never run full rpm's as it's typically not full torque and harder on the wear and tear. of course water volume is a direct result of rpm's so full flow is not done.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

your engine RPM, your pump RPM, take your engine RPM, multiply that by your pulley diameter and then divide that by the driven pulleys (diamator or RPM) and you will get your driven RPM or pulley size. depending on what you divide by.

for example your motor is 3600, and you use a 5" pulley, for a drive pulley, and you want a 1200 for the driven speed, it would take a 15" pulley on the driven shaft, 3600 x 5 = 18000.
      18000 / 1200 = 15" (since the pulleys are not really practical in this example one could work the other way, or just try a different set, say 3" for the driven, 3 x 3600 =10800 / 1200 - 9" for the driven pulley, now check the smallest pulley is capable of transmitting the power required for the driven object, and that the belt can, if not one may need multiplet pulleys, and matched belts,

hope this explanation helps you some,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I know the pump rpm is 1140 and the engine maxes out at 3600 rpm but I don't know what the pulley sizes should be. Or do I just pick a size for one of the pulleys?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I my self would not want to go much smaller than 3" on the small pulley, as much smaller the distance on the pulley that the belt rides in will get less fast, and the surface area of the belt that can grip on the belt will be a much smaller area, lest just say the belt wraps around 180 degrees ( I know with a larger pulley it will not) but the distance around a 3" pulley is 9.42 inches the belt contact area is less than 4.71 inches, if you do a 2 inch driver pulley that is 6.28" around and the contact area is less than 3.14 inches,

also you need to know what HP your belt/belts need to transmit and then find belts that meet that requirements, my guess is double "B" belts would be a likely choice for your project, (note just guessing here), but if your desired belt is less or at near maximum of the rating of the belt then one may want to double the belts, for example one may find that your power requirements are such that one can use 2 "A" belts (A belts can deal with a smaller radius on the pulley), there are many factors to properly design a system,

there are many different belts, and types,

I am not trying to make it complicated, but it can be to do it right,

the first catalog in the list, (I think the list starts in the center of the list), Online Catalogs | Power Transmission Solutions

if you can see a commercial unit and copy it is probably the easiest,

but if I was going to guess, I would think a double B belt system, using a 3" to 3.5" driver and a 9" to 10" driven on the pump side, (if you look in page 51 of the first catalog, you will see a B belt is capable of transmitting 10 hp), but you look on page 54 they are recommending a 5.4" pulley as the min diameter for full power transmission, now on a A belt a 3 inch is recommended, as minimal, size, but your A belt is only good for about 3 HP, (page 51),

I have probably confused you more, but but now I would sugest possibly going to a 4" double B belt driver, (motor 3600) and then about 13" for the pump, for 1100 rpm, on the pump.

(and chains and sprockets are move confusing than belts, to size correctly),

I some one makes a unit like your desiring it may be worth a look to see what they did, for the HP and pump,
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

not anymore confused then I already was, lol. thanks for the info.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

take a look at this http://www.catpumps.com/products/bulletins/TB003.pdf they have pulley kits for the pumps, if you want to make your own you may be able to get the parts brake down of the kit, gas engines are near the bottom, on the buliton it says call cat for pulley information, http://www.etscompany.com/catpump/pdfs/1560.pdf
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X