X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cart Jetter Advice

a word of caution. i've looked at their big brute specs and i don't feel that a 24hp honda will put out 8.5 at 4000 psi. seems way undersized. cart mounted jetter, honda jetter, sewer and drain cleaning equipment,

now go onto their website and start looking at their other machines. look at their pump and pressure numbers and engine choices. one of their trailers is 9 at 4000 and they are using a fuel injected 31hp water cooled kawasaki engine. so basically for a 1/2 gpm they jumped up 7 hp and went fuel injected and water cooled. numbers just don't make sense.

same with their 18 gpm at 4000 trailer. it's 2 each of the 31 hp.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumbcat View Post
      5.5 gal or 10 per minute will not cut tree roots for sure. You need at LEAST 18 gpm to do that which would require a tow behind trailer. Been at this for 12 years and always cut roots with trailer jet no problem.
      Your not the first guy that did something for 12 years because it worked and that's the way you've always done it without experimenting or researching your field enough to know what your talking about. Guys like that in every industry. Separates the experts from the guys who just provide a service.

As long as you stay within the envelope of the capabilities of your equipment, jetting is as much or more about nozzle selection and nozzle quality than it is about pump specs.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        I happen to own one of those trailers. When tested after production using a high pressure flow meter our machine was flowing around 17.5 gpm while producing 4100 psi. That was at sea level (Seattle). We brought it home to 4000' elevation and lost about 300 psi. Close enough for me.

Comment

Rick, you bring up a good point. I've noticed this about many jetters. The formula I've seen here on the forum and a few other places is gpm X psi./1100= required hp from regular gas engine. This is obviously not exact as engine manufactures are quoting peak hp under certain conditions, BUT, it is a starting point/guideline for sizing power to pump. That said, many units appear to be underpowered. 8.5 X 4000/1100= 30.9. The 31hp Kawasaki is in the ballpark. I love Honda engines, but the 24hp sounds a little short. The Kawasaki is an 850cc engine, the Honda is a 670cc. Of course, I'm not sure this hp formula works the same with diesels as they have a higher torque curve, but I don't think you'll find many diesels on carts anyway. I'm going with the 35hp Vanguard. Good catch on the specs!

Comment

diesel is roughly 1894 compared to 1100 for gas and i believe approx 1400 for electric.

based on my us jetter class. it takes 38 diesel h.p. to get 4000 psi at 18 gpm. plus another 4 h.p. to run the hydraulic pump for the reel still leaving 7.5 h.p left over from the air cooled hatz diesel engine.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Just a quick note guys, Our Big Brute Jetter uses a 28 HP fuel injected Subaru engine, we haven't used the Honda for a while...the 24 HP Honda ran great for us at 3500 PSI. Horsepower is definately only a starting point for design, the rest is proved in testing. We are at sea level here and higher altitudes may loose some pressure on our machines.
              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              a word of caution. i've looked at their big brute specs and i don't feel that a 24hp honda will put out 8.5 at 4000 psi. seems way undersized. cart mounted jetter, honda jetter, sewer and drain cleaning equipment,

now go onto their website and start looking at their other machines. look at their pump and pressure numbers and engine choices. one of their trailers is 9 at 4000 and they are using a fuel injected 31hp water cooled kawasaki engine. so basically for a 1/2 gpm they jumped up 7 hp and went fuel injected and water cooled. numbers just don't make sense.

rick.

Comment

Working...
              X