X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cart Jetter Advice

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a cart jetter, specifically to to do 3" up to 6" to clear tree roots. 18 hp honda engine, 3500 psi, 5.5 gpm or should I go with the 10 gpm model? This is a Gorlitz jetter. Anyone have any experience with Gorlitz jetters? I'm currently using the 2 hp, 1500 psi, 2.1 gpm 19.8 amp electric unit from Gorlitz to clear 1 1/2" - 2" bath & kitchen lines and it works great. Will the gas cart handle the wart hog or root ranger with the specs provided?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jay.

Re: Cart Jetter Advice

5.5 gal or 10 per minute will not cut tree roots for sure. You need at LEAST 18 gpm to do that which would require a tow behind trailer. Been at this for 12 years and always cut roots with trailer jet no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbcat View Post
      5.5 gal or 10 per minute will not cut tree roots for sure. You need at LEAST 18 gpm to do that which would require a tow behind trailer. Been at this for 12 years and always cut roots with trailer jet no problem.
      I will be testing your theory versus every other plumber/drain cleaner that says/uses a root ranger. They all agree it will destroy roots with a cart jetter. These same guys provide pictures as proof to back their claims.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by plumbcat View Post
        GPM is what flushes it out....pressure is what cuts the roots.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
          I will be testing your theory versus every other plumber/drain cleaner that says/uses a root ranger. They all agree it will destroy roots with a cart jetter. These same guys provide pictures as proof to back their claims.
          Never heard of Gorlits cutting roots with those specs.

Comment

There are a bunch of us here in the Los Angeles area. Some of these guys have done a lot of testing with different jetters and pressures. We hang out on a regular basis so watch for our next get together.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

a root ranger nozzle at 4 gpm with 3000 psi will destroy roots.

a warthog at those specs is a waste of time and big money.

today i used my 1/4'' and root ranger and double barrel root ranger to accomplish 4 root jobs. of course only 2 were paying customers

hard to charge your parents and even more difficult to charge your wife

but that's what's great about living and working in the neighborhood. i was able to even jet a customers line from 2 doors away from my parents house just by stretching out my 400' reel 2 more driveways.

read up on the power of the root ranger and you'll be sold.

i have a 18hp 5.5 gpm 3500 psi cart jetter for the last 15+ years with no issues. it will destroy roots in a 3''-6'' line.

a 10 gpm machine is no longer a cart jetter and is in a different league from cart jetters.

my first trailer was 2500 at 11 gpm, not bad, not too expensive and i used it for close to 7 years before i sold it.

my next trailer was a us jeeting 300 gal. 4000 18gpm that i used for close to 2 years and sold that for my present 200 gal. 4000 18gpm us jetter. but as you know towing a jetter in l.a. traffic and trying to park it, is not a job i would want 5 days a week. if i did, i would mount the unit in my van. as it is now, i take the trailer out 1- 2 times a week and try to get 3-4 different jobs in a day.

going from an electric tiny jetter to a trailer is a giant jump and a very expensive jump.

personally i would go with the cart and build up your clients, before you go big.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Hey thanks for the advice Rick. The 10gpm is on the cart jetter. They both have 3500 psi, the only difference is 5 and 10 gpm. Would you recommend going with the 10gpm over the 5gpm? The cost difference is less than $2K. Seems the extra gpm could come in handy in the future if I run into bigger lines. Are you near Pasadena?

Comment

10 gpm on a cart jetter is kinda hard to do and get 3500 psi, I mean a real 3500 psi not just some claim they make to sell it. 10 gpm with a honda 24 hp motor will yield 3000 tops maybe less with a real long hose. Get 4000 psi min and 5 - 7 gpm will do fine for a cart jetter.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thanks to everyone here and elsewhere that helped me out with my purchase. I was thinking get the biggest cart I could find for the end all be all. Then I started thinking, I wanted something lighter than the Spartan 1065 that I could load and unload by myself. 350 plus pounds of weight....not me, not when the smaller cart jetter would do most of my work, at the moment, for half the price. I am about to go through a divorce from reading and researching this one topic (Kidding, but I am sure she thought about it).
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra2000 View Post
                      Hey thanks for the advice Rick. The 10gpm is on the cart jetter. They both have 3500 psi, the only difference is 5 and 10 gpm. Would you recommend going with the 10gpm over the 5gpm? The cost difference is less than $2K. Seems the extra gpm could come in handy in the future if I run into bigger lines. Are you near Pasadena?
                      10 gpm might be a cart, but it's not fed by a garden hose without a buffer tank to feed it. not to many hose bibbs will supply enough water to prevent cavitation.

10 gpm is more than plenty for 6'' pipe. i use up to 18 gpm on 6'' but i also use as little as 5 gpm going from a smaller c/o to 6''.

unless you have a lift gate or a good winch setup, the 10 gpm machine will not be very portable. what brand is it?

i'm pretty close to pasadena. about 15 minutes with no traffic to 110 and 5.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

It's a Gorlitz jetter. I'm also considering and probably leaning towards the Brute from Jetter Northwest. 4000 psi/8.5 gpm. I was hoping to mount it in my box truck with a 400' reel and never have to take it off the truck, although I do have an electric winch mounted in my truck with a 1000 lb capacity for my spartan machine.

Comment

gorlitz once made a small trailer jetter, but they discontinued it a couple years later. unless somthing has just come out that's not listed. thier largest present day jetter is the 3500. 3500 psi at 5.5 gpm.

do you have the website link to the 10 gpm machine?

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I drove down to Gorlitz in Santa Fe Springs to pick up my small jetter. They only had one on the floor and the guy said it was special made and that was the only one they made with those specs. Basically it was the 3500A that is in their catalog but something was done to it to allow it to reach 10 gpm but no buffer tank.
                            I have settled on the 8.5 gpm 4000 psi Big Brute from Jetters Northwest over the Gorlitz. Sounds like a reliable piece of equipment. I will give the Root Ranger a go based on the videos you've put up. Pretty impressive.

Comment

hard to believe no buffer tank. the only way to get 10 gpm out of a 5.5 gpm pump is to run the pump at almost double the rpm. i doubt they would do that as it wouldn't last a week. so it means they had a bigger pump. and unless they put on a bigger engine, they would get the gpm, but not the psi.

10 gpm at 3500 psi is not a typical portable unit. it would take almost 32 gas hp to get those numbers.

now as far as the root ranger. 8.5 at 4000 will allow you to run a much larger nozzle. i would go for the double barrel 3/8'' with a 4.5 turbines. but a single will allow for smaller pipe opening.

both will fit into 3'' pipe with turns. but the single is easier to maneuver.

of course the double is 3'' pipe is risky business

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X