X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x6 Expansion Cutter.......

Which is the better expansion cutter Eel or General and why ???

Re: 4x6 Expansion Cutter.......

I never tried the EEL. I have the general and the ridgid that I use on my 3/4' cable. They are about half the price of the EEL, But I only use them for grease and soap clogs. It seems like when it comes to roots they just collapse when they get to the root and don't cut any more then the biggest non expandable head I can get through. I like the general head a little better for cleaning but the Ridgid don't get stuck as easy. I would have to see the EEL head a little more before I would spend the extra money. Years ago I had one made for the EEL but it broke the first time down a drain so I am a bit nervous about spending that much unless it is worth it.

Comment

I ended up getting the Eel.

Do the General & Ridgid have 2 or 3 blades ?

Last edited by AssTyme; 09-03-2012, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
        I never tried the EEL. I have the general and the ridgid that I use on my 3/4' cable. They are about half the price of the EEL, But I only use them for grease and soap clogs. It seems like when it comes to roots they just collapse when they get to the root and don't cut any more then the biggest non expandable head I can get through. I like the general head a little better for cleaning but the Ridgid don't get stuck as easy. I would have to see the EEL head a little more before I would spend the extra money. Years ago I had one made for the EEL but it broke the first time down a drain so I am a bit nervous about spending that much unless it is worth it.

I've tried both. A plumbing pal has the General, I have the Eel. We've both used both and both came to the conclusion the Eel is better. The General didn't cut nearly as well in 4" pipe as the Eel. Also the Eel is very well constructed.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	6a683f58142f6c500a4d5d4d2c21147f.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	10417Click image for larger version

Name:	5b8210d14da5c2234a0a09ffe77f41a0.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	10438Click image for larger version

Name:	db30da1dba53934785597a9a9aaffacc.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	10418

Ridgid has two blades and can offset to help make the turns. I prefer it over the eel. The one on the leader is Ridgid that Marvin at AJ Coleman welded to the leader for the .66 Magnum cable for us. The other one is a DCD version.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i have several of the ridgid 4-6 and even a 6-8

just as gtmerkly commented, they tend to close when hitting an obstacle. they were not intended for real agressive cutting, but more of a finishing cutter on a high speed sectional machine.

i have mine adapted for the 7500, the 1.25'' timberwolf and the 1500/ no adapter needed.

if the spring was stiffer and the cutters had teeth, then they might be more agressive, but truthfully they aren't designed to cut the stuff i run into.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X