Wow.... No way!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow.... No way!!!!!

As I get older I must be getting stronger. I can now brake 3/4 IC cable by hand just installing an end. True story, broke it right off screwing a new female end on it by hand. I am afraid to use the cable now My helper has broken this cable many times and now I think I know why????
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Re: Wow.... No way!!!!!

And how, any times did you scold your helper for breaking cables? Do you think it has to do with the cable or the chemicals that "are not" in the drain?
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I wouldn't trust it again either

Comment

holy crap toss it.
        Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
        1-920-284-7471

Comment

Gettinit I`m gonna say "Cable" as I just dont buy the chemicals thing. He got scold many times as most of the time it`s his fault but this time I`m gonna say cable. He did this in just the first few months of using the cable.
          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 08-08-2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            Gettinit I`m gonna say "Cable" as I just dont buy the chemicals thing. He got scold many times as most of the time it`s his fault but this time I`m gonna say cable. He did this in just the first few months of using the cable.
            Sorry, I meant to say following a lying home owner...I was not suggesting you yourself used chemicals, especially before running your cable.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

The cable was britle from acid we see this many times sometimes the cable is in pieces in the drum. That cable look very old as i can see flat spots on the coils. Marvin

Comment

When a cable goes in a line with acid it will break like peanut brittle the next day. If you have a cable break, and you want to check if its due to acid. near the broken end take a pair of pipe wrenches and turn cable like you are trying to unwind it. If it breaks quickly and cleanly it was in acid, if it unwinds before it breaks it ok to repair.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by rod man View Post
                  The cable was britle from acid we see this many times sometimes the cable is in pieces in the drum. That cable look very old as i can see flat spots on the coils. Marvin
                  Thanks for all you and your companies help with purchases. Can't wait for the RR and your adapters.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

I`m not buying Acid did this...sorry. Been at this a long, long time. Ok think of it this way, how long does it take to clear 100 foot main line? 30 to 45 minutes tops. So if I take a piece of cable and leave it in acid for say 2, 4, 6 ,8 hell lets go 24 hours it should just crumble like dirt. Ok to prove my point, I have a few thousand feet of cable around here. I think it`s time to do a little testing

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                      I`m not buying Acid did this...sorry. Been at this a long, long time. Ok think of it this way, how long does it take to clear 100 foot main line? 30 to 45 minutes tops. So if I take a piece of cable and leave it in acid for say 2, 4, 6 ,8 hell lets go 24 hours it should just crumble like dirt. Ok to prove my point, I have a few thousand feet of cable around here. I think it`s time to do a little testing
                      Let us know the results. Try more than one brand while you are at it. Not just the cheap Drano stuff either.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

I doubt its fatigue is from just the initial physical contact with the acid. Its probably due to the continued contact as it dries inside the drum. Unless you are rinsing and neutralizing, the acid is still breaking the cable down on a molecular level.
                        I agree with Rod, the cable has wear on it. A couple of months?...maybe, with usage every day.

Comment

Some types of wire are not effected by acid like music wire but oil tempered wire is even a flat rod if it goes in acid will break i have seen them broken in the frame in many places after use. Many times we will take cables out of a drum that have broken inside the drum in many pieces marvin

Comment

I have been doing this since the early 80`s and have never seen a broken cable in the drum. We run water while we clear the sewers so the cable comes back clean. I`m heading out to Sturgis for the week so when I get back we`ll test some ACID.

bhead62, Yea "A couple of months" Note the name of my business"ALL CLEAR SEWER" We do this all day long, not just once every other week.

Comment

My father has been cleaning sewers for over 50 years, and he has known Marvin all of them. Marvin also has seen a lot over the years. I can tell you I am 100% positive a harsh acid was in the sewer, and it will ruin a oiled temper cable. As Marvin said music wire rests it much better than oil tempered. The acid does not corrode the cable, it gets into the pours of the steal and changes the temper of the cable. Oiled tempered cable is very porous, where music wire cable is a lot less porous, so it can resist the damage of acid.

Oh note our name "A - Archer Sewer and Plumbing" Notice Sewer comes before plumbing? We been cleaning sewers for 50+ years, I have been cleaning sewers official just over 20 years, unofficially 30+ years. The unofficial part was when I worked summers and spring breaks with my father, he has taught me a whole lot. I also learned a lot from Marvin at Allan J Coleman.

All Clear, I was wondering what brand cable is that, along with do you know if its music wire or not?
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              Ron's Facebook
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X