Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Bill a city ? Clog at their connection

Can I Bill a city ? Clog at their connection

For 20+ years I punch through root clogs that are the city's fault

I'm seriously thinking about stopping before their connection and having the customer call them out ...

I'll probably continue for the customers sake but my local city just reamed me on a water deposit , so I figured they could start sending out their jetter on nights and weekends ...

Re: Can I Bill a city ? Clog at their connection

You can, I do. You have to get approved first for the job. Have a w9 and proper COI for them to get paid. If not, forget about it. As long as your getting paid, who cares but the customer could be getting it for free.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

rule of thumb here is if the stoppage is only affecting the 1 property and not the city main, it's the property owners bill.

but there have been many times i'm called out and it turns out to be a city issue.

i've had the buildings turn in my bill for compensation. the building pays me and they try to get paid by the city. sometimes with success.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The cities wye here is only the cities problem if it breaks, just clogging is the homeowner.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Here, if there is a cleanout within the right of way and its holding water it is on the city. If there is no cleanout then it is the HO responsibility unless it is collapsed then it gets hairy from there. Basically all cities/municipalities handle these things differently. I try and find out what their expectations are if in a new area ahead of time.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Here the city just takes care of the main line, The connection still belongs to the home owner. If I think it is the city line I will check the man hole, If it is full I have them call the city. If I drill past the H/O line to get it open or it wont open and I figure it is in the city line I call the city. If they run there line and my customers line drains then the city pays for it all. I just tell my customer to ask the city to pay for it. I never had any problem with the city paying for it. I even got a few call's from the city when there truck breaks down to clean there drains because they know I can get there lines open.

Comment

When I would go out on a stoppage call, after determining that the sewer was blocked, I would walk out to the property line and look for a up to grade c/o. If there was none I would locate the test tee at the building. I would run the cable down to the property line, and if the blockage was not cleared, I would dig up the city/county tap. Then I would call them saying they had a problem. Doesn't matter if it's in the main or the lateral, they would come out and clear it and install a up to grade c/o. But,,,,You have to dig up the tap to prove it is thier responsibility.. Some cities will reimburse you whole or in part for the service call...

Comment

Working...
              X