now you see it, now you don't

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now you see it, now you don't

had a stoppage i showed up to with paper and waste overflowing into the side yard. neighbor noticed / smelled it. looks like a weeks worth of paper.

rick.

holy crap batman

looks like the river pooh had overflowed the banks.

k-60, rake and a shovel to the rescue.

in 6 weeks, the corn crop should be sprouting
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-17-2012, 11:37 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: now you see it, now you don't

I think they need to add a high water alert to their alarm system.

What are the long term ramifications of all that sewage being dumped on the ground right next to the foundation? Is this a slab or does it have a basement?
    If a basement with block walls is there anything in sewage that can attack the motar and maybe cause the wall to fail down the road say in a year or two? Don't know myself just asking.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Yes but it is good for the garden O no you have cleared it up

Tony

Comment

problem with tightening the jim cap is that the rear guest house would have been flooded. the guest house is ground level too.

last time it was snaked was 18 months ago. all they need is to look on the side of the house once in a while. or snake it once a year.

really other than the mess, there was no damage. not even flies. whole job with snaking, cleanup and billing was 1.25 hrs.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

What's with the water lines, relief valve and pressure reducer all exposed to God and man there. Is that legal?
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

tim, remember it doesn't snow here or get under 50 in the dead of winter. even our gas meters and electric meters are all exposed. typically the electric meters are in the rear yard, while the gas meters are either at the curb box or front or side of house. the water meters are usually all in a curb box.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I guess it wouldn't be exactly the "dead" of winter if it never gets below 50. I knew the temp thing but it just seems a little too exposed to anyone that had mischief in mind. A big lever handle like that is just asking to be turned.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

think that is bad, how about all our exposed seismic gas automatic shut off valves. 1 little bump and no gas/ hot water/ heat/ hot food

believe it or not, it's typically the painter or gardner that bumps a valve in a tight spot. rarely ever get a call for a tripped valve.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Ha ha! That reminds me of a period of time, late 80's I think, when some pin-headed professor wrote a paper that predicted a major earthquake from our local New Madrid fault within a year. The local newspapers picked it up, of course, and must have mentioned the seismic shutoff device and also the importance of strapping water heaters (most of ours are located in the attic space). I think the company I was with at the time installed 20 for 30 of the seismic shutoffs, something I had never even heard of before, and strapped dozens of water heaters. I often wonder if those devices are still installed and if they have tripped or are even still functional.

Comment

since our large northridge quake of 94, i have not had 1 call for a tripped seismic valve that was tripped by an earthquake.

but what scares me is when we do have a real quake and 50% i'm guessing are without gas/ heat/ hot water. sure it's simple to reset them, but to test for a leak is not simple or quick. my feeling is that these valves will cause more dangers than what they were designed to protect.

there was a time that 1 valve could be installed to protect an entire bank of gas meters. so 1 person resets the valve and 2-50 meters get turned back on do you really think they will know how to properly test for leaks and lite all the pilots

city of los angeles requires these valves installed prior to the sale of a home/ building and also prior to the final of a permit value over 10,000.

city of beverly hills has no such requirement.

these 2 cities border each other. and are serviced by the same gas utility company. so it all boils down to the politics of requirements.

rick.
                    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-02-2012, 10:03 AM.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I get these all the time. As long as it works they don't bother with it. I have seen H/O stick a pump on the line and pump it out the back to save money. I carry a bucket of quick lime in the van to spread over the mess it's the law here when we find something like that. I have seen basements used as septic tanks, I don't know how they stand it, it is very dangerous for the H/O with all the gas. the only good thing about it is they wont rent a machine and try to do it them self or complain about the price. With a clog like that it weeds out the amateurs from the pro. When you get in to a clog like that you better know what your doing, you can run right past the clog and it wont open you have to work it out. H/O with a rental machine with a 1/2' cable will do more puking then good it needs the big stuff to get it open and a cast iron stomach along with nerves of steel. My hat is off to any driller who tackles a drain like that I know what it takes.

Comment

Thank God you have cleaned it... it looks so eww.

Comment

Rick, in the pictures showing the water service there is a 3/4" line that braches off before the pressure reducer. Where does it go? Do you use water meters out there or flat rate cost? Thanks
                          26+6=1

Comment

the 3/4'' high pressure line is running to the rear yard sprinklers.

the water is metered and your sewer surcharge is based upon your water usage and a forumula based on winter usage as your sewer baseline.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                            X