X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floor drain blocked

any input would be greatly appreciated. Went to a job today. The water heater was leaking, that's when the home owner discovered the floor drain was backing up. Also the house has been sitting empty for the past 3 years. There is a mop sink (1 1/2") first then the floor drain (also 1 1/2" with no clean out plug). So I went through the clean out under the sink. got the cable in about 7 foot and it just stopped. black dusty looking water started coming out of the floor drain while i'm trying to cable through. I couldn't make any progress on the blockage. pull the cable out and it's clean but really hot. I was using 1/2" cable. I'm thinking maybe its sediment build up from not being used. My question is should I cut out the concrete and replace the pipe? thanks for your time.

Re: floor drain blocked

ever since the invention of the sewer camera, blind cutting is not necessary anymore. i would attempt to vacuum the line dry and run a camera into the line to see it it's a real dig job or a job for a jetter or different cable and cutter combination.

of course with 3 years of sitting empty, it's hard to tell what went on. but with a camera it should help explain it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

what is the drain pipe? (it is is old galvanized pipe, you many have hit an elbow) and will need to try to work your way about a very tight bend,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If the mop sink drains good, why not just go though the P-trap of the floor drain. I have used the K-50 with 5/8" cable many times though the P-trap. I would use a 3/4" "sharks tooth" as a head of choice running it in Rev. until it clears the trap. A Lot of times a vacuum would clear the collection of debris that sits in the bottom of the trap, then run your cable..
        What you see as "rusty water" coming up is normal. That just means your cleaning the rust off the pipe walls..

Comment

Please call professsional that help you to solve your problem..

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder12 View Post
            Yes, that's the ticket.

But before you do that, consider that the floor drain if galv/iron has rust scale that has closed the pipe, and your snake is breaking it loose and packing it into a trap or elbow. I have had success with supermagnets on the end of a snake or camera pulling out the large pieces, allowing a snake to go through and pulverize the rest.

Comment

Thanks for the input, got it opened up. Thinking I jumped to conclusions to quick. I've done alot of plumbing but Drain cleaning I'm still fairly green.

Comment

I think you should call a plumber, he can properly assess the problem.
                kitchen plumbing nsw

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder12 View Post
                  Dont suggest that, someone will pipe up and slag you for this suggestion.

On the serious side gotta give it to rick, he's on the money. Maybe get one of Billy's little electric jetters, not as harsh but good enough for the small stuff. combine with a wet/dry vac to suck out as much nasty as you can and then go for the camera

Comment

Today am here for asking something special which is that We had a leak from our 2nd floor bathroom through the ceiling below. The leak would happen when flushing the toilet. We had a plumber come and he cleared a blockage in the drain.what you would want to share your suggestion here
                    Fire Damage Restoration Gold Coast|professional upholstery cleaning and protection services

Comment

Wilson,
                      At the very least replace the wax gasket on the closet flange. This is also a good time to check the flange itself.. Then Make sure there are no leaks at the tank to bowl gasket after removing and reinstalling the toilet.
                      Before replacing ceiling let it dry out real good and, have someone flush the toilet while you look to make sure the leak is solved....
                      When I pull a toilet I always install a new stainless braided supply hose. (cheap insurance)
                      Let us know how you are making out and what was causing the leak....

Comment

Working...
                      X