X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved by the seesnake and jetter

was referred to this problem sewer a week ago from their regular plumber who also uses me to camera and trouble shoot.

1940's duplex with documented stoppages in the 120' range. i use my seesnake mini to push out the first 100' of 4'' cast and then the last 20-30' of 4 and 6'' clay to discover a large root mass and wood trunk root in the 6'' just before the city saddle. sent the plumber the video and discussed that jetting was the only way unless you want to dig the 10'+ in a public roadway to replace the pipe. spoke to the owner also and gave him my suggestions.

so today i went there with my big jetter 4000 at 18gpm and seesnake with dvdpak. used the camera to help position the jetter and also document the progress and finished job.

sorry about the crude cell phone photos, but i turned in the dvd to the owner before i could copy the images.

rick.

view of the stoppage with heavy roots and large trunk root at the 6'' clay main.

wider angle.

6'' city saddle center of the street. homeowner is responsible for the line until it connects at the saddle. typically center of the street.

all clean with the green jetter hose and nozzle in the city main. footage is off as i used the jetter to help push the hose. but this is the location of the original roots and trunk root.

us jetter 4018, double barrel 3/8'' root ranger , and seesnake mini with dvdpak
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-12-2012, 12:56 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Saved by the seesnake and jetter

Rick
    How far back do you bring the camera befoer you jet the drain????????????????/

Comment

depends on the blast back. if the camera is pulled behind a tee or other change of direction, you're pretty safe. in a straightaway line. a good 10-15' depending on the nozzle and type of debris. sand and grit even further. i monitor the blow back and can adjust the pressure or pull the camera back as needed. i can also use the jetter to assist in the pulling of the camera cable.

for my 1/2'' hose i have a nozzle that allows for direct attachment of the camera a couple feet forward of the jet. this is ok as long as there is not a stoppage or heavy restriction. more of a finishing jet inspection or used on lines with little to no roots.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

How did this "trunk root" enter the line ?

I always keep a backup of my videos/pictures for possible future reference

Comment

Good job Rick! Now just need to shove a pipe patch down there and seal that hole lol
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

it's like the bonsai affect. as the roots go unnoticed in the larger lines, they grow larger in diameter and other hair roots grow from them. every time the roots are cut , they grow back and get bigger. with the size in a 6'' line at that depth and distance, the root can grow and go unnoticed for years as it doesn't stop up until it's 100% clogged. so when you have a large system with lots of fall and relatively little use, the roots can grow for a long time unnoticed..

the camera was used for positioning of the jetter nozzle. i just took some snap shots to share and burned a dvd for the non present owner.

i would have close to a thousand videos if i kept a copy. some are on my laptop /lt-1000 and all are well documented on my customer profile and invoices.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

could a 6'' patch be pushed 100' from a 4'' cast iron c/o and then another 20-25' into 6'' clay? or would you need to use a pull cable from a manhole?

rick
              phoebe it is

Comment

That's the real test is if you can get the packer there. I have pulled from a manhole and pushed with a duct rodder. The thing on your side is the packer is a 4-6 inch so it might go down the 4" opening.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment

Maybe this helps? This is Cannon's editing program...comes free with the camera. I've found that NOT having the flash makes the image easier to edit.

Cleanmen2-I push the camera ahead of the root ranger. Pushing foward 1. is faster then puling back 10'.
                  Attached Files
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

So Rick was that 3/8 hose? Or 1/2" hose using a 3/8 RR? I ask because when I get on jobs where I need 3/8" hose and use my big jetter, even at idle the flow is too much for the 3/8 hose. I have backed off the unloader all the way and just idle and it is too much flow for it. I can do it in spurts but not for long periods of time. Mine is 4k but 25gpm.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Rick, it's interesting that you are still using the DBRR. I ran into a Plumber at one of our Jetter outlets yesterday who had lost a nozzle. I asked him what nozzle was his favorite. He started raving about the DBRR. He won't leave a job until its been run through the drain. I asked him how he was going with 4" pipe. He winked at me and said, "ya gotta know what your doing mate!" He also loves the fact he can clear 12" lines with his 4300psi 5.5gpm cart Jetter. His favorite penetrating head is the MN Root Rat nozzle.

Impressive pictures! Are you running the DBRR on your USJ-4018?
                      Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

bill, the double root ranger is great when it's not a 100% solid blockage as there is no forward cutting nozzle. but there is a real sharp wedge cutter up front.

remember i've even used it in a 3'' line with fittings and managed to get it in and get it out

running it with the usj-4018-200. 400' of 3/8'' hose, so there is some decent pressure drop, but still plenty to kick butt. i also use it with 100' jumper hoses as needed.

on the double with #7 rotors i use a 3/8'' mip x 1/2'' fip hose adapter and 1/2'' x 500' main hose reel.

remember i also have the 1/2'' monster single root ranger

nothing pulls and cuts like a root ranger.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                          So Rick was that 3/8 hose? Or 1/2" hose using a 3/8 RR? I ask because when I get on jobs where I need 3/8" hose and use my big jetter, even at idle the flow is too much for the 3/8 hose. I have backed off the unloader all the way and just idle and it is too much flow for it. I can do it in spurts but not for long periods of time. Mine is 4k but 25gpm.
                          i use the 3/8'' hose for the double rr with twin 4.5 rotors. and 1/2'' hose with the double with #7 rotors. and single with a #12 1/2'' rotor.

sounds like you need to install a bypass valve. the unloader should still be set for 4000# and just crack open the bypass valve to compensate for excess flow. pretty simple then to use smaller hose and nozzles with your monster jetter.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I have the bypass valve never tried part way with it, might try that. I adjust my unloader when using different tips they all seem to give different pressures and I adjust the unloader for what I need some older pipe I go 2000 psi other times I want the full 4000.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

keep your unloader set to 4000-4200 and use your bypass to adjust flow and drop pressure. not enough engine rpm and you'll load the engine with diesel fuel and also not cool enough with low rpm.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X