X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-375 Repair Part 1

My customer brought over his K-375 for repairs. What it needs is the four nylon bushings for the motor mount. I ordered them from Ridgid Tuesday 9/11/2012. I am half tempted on making some bushings that will go the full height of the frame and put a couple of Zerk's in there for good measure. So there would be just two instead of four bushings. (Still Thinking on that tho)
    You can see the motor sagging and it throws off the belt from the drum.. There is a 1/2" of 'play' in the motor mount.
    I will post part 2 once I install the new bushings.
    How long does it take for Ridgid to send parts anyway???
    Attached Files

Re: K-375 Repair Part 1

rule of thumb, 50% of the cost of new for repair and it's a waste of money.

a 375 is almost a waste from the get go

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Direct from Ridgid takes forever unless you talked to one the dept heads. For repair parts, AJ Coleman is the place to go.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Direct from Ridgid takes forever unless you talked to one the dept heads. For repair parts, AJ Coleman is the place to go.
        Thanks GJ. for the info.....

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.

OUCH!!!!! Rick.

So going by your 50/50 rule of thumb,, I did not know you could buy a 380 for 100 bucks...

Comment

a k-380 is a home owners little snake. it's real counterpart is the k-3800.

a brand new 380 was under $400 at h.d. back then. so the 50/50 would be about $200. but the condition of that unit looks very worn.

not too many people supplying parts and labor for this type of repair for $100.00 but if he's good to go for $100.00 that beats $400.00 for a new one.

still have my original 1982 general mini rooter with both a 3/8'' and 1/2'' drums. don't use it anymore, but it was a nice little machine for a roof job. took seconds to break down and assemble.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

rick.

a k-380 is a home owners little snake. it's real counterpart is the k-3800.

a brand new 380 was under $400 at h.d. back then. so the 50/50 would be about $200. but the condition of that unit looks very worn.

not too many people supplying parts and labor for this type of repair for $100.00 but if he's good to go for $100.00 that beats $400.00 for a new one.

still have my original 1982 general mini rooter with both a 3/8'' and 1/2'' drums. don't use it anymore, but it was a nice little machine for a roof job. took seconds to break down and assemble.

rick.

No Rick,
            I did not say the repair was going to be $100.00......You said if the repair was over 50% of a new one was not worth it (50/50 rule)....
            So by your comment about the 375 "almost not worth it from the get go", that would mean a new one would cost $100.00.... Because my repair will be $50.00
            Ok since you brought it up I thought you could figure it out.
            My repair will cost $50.00 So that will be 1/8 cost of new so I am well below your 50/50 rule..

I always ask a customer what they paid or how much a replacement would cost. So I am aware of the issue between repair costs vs replacement costs.. I have done many jobs I did not think it was worth it but as long as the customer is willing to pay for it and that is what they want then so be it..

I told a customer what parts would run for his Bosh jackhammer, and he don't want to pay for it. So I put it back together.. So this is nothing "Greek" to me..
            Attached Files

Comment

Dumb question here,

I have a 1953 F500 truck I use occasionally, but it is needed those few times a year, this year the tires started to fall apart, (I had replaced two rears a few years ago, and was able to find the more common size for the rears one NOS and one retread for a very good price, but the fronts were a different story, when said and done they cost me over $700, for the two front tires, now with the rears I have spent close to $1000 on tires for Thar old truck, now my guess is the truck may bring a $1000 on an auction as it is a good running unit yet,
              my guess is the new invoice price for this truck was about $3000,/ 3500.

My opinion is it is what it worth to you, not some formula that some one set up, and what it would cost to replace,

The value of that truck to me, is not what what its market value is worth, but what it would cost to replace, for a machine that can do the same job, I know the condition of it and what it strengths and weakness are,
              I could easily go and put down $10,000 or more on a used truck and not have any more than what I have or just have a money pit,

another example a number of years ago my son was working at t scrap yard when his truck was broke down, a car came in, he looked it over and talked to the boss, I bought the car for $125, as that was what it was worth as scrap,

I put a new alternator on it and new tires, and a sensor, and muffler, (guessing a battery as well, cost $600, so I had, 4 times the value of the product to repair it, but for that $725 dollars, it has traveled nearly 100,000 miles and still going good, and this last month the battery needed replaced, that was as much as the cars original cost me, as well as the few extra tires for the years,

but on most of my farm equipment just the cost of the replaceable tillage parts (shovels and disks) are worth more to buy than the machine I am putting them on at least 50% of the cost of the machine,

I guess I do not agree with your "50/50" rule as some thing hard and fast,, yes on some things I will totally agree,
              as the parts are not priced or avable for the "disposable" stuff most companies are making today.
              Last edited by BHD; 09-16-2012, 10:11 AM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

of course for $50.00 it's worth it. but in reality i doubt any tool repair center would touch a repair with parts for anywhere close to that.

i charge a minimum of $45.00 and that includes travel to and from the job. so i know what you mean.

but in reality if this tool was taken into a repair center in that condition, chances are the repair wouldn't be worth the cost of the machine.

now on that bosch hammer, it's a $1200 replacement cost. but for $600 they could probably find a good used one on ebay. what would it have cost to fix that hammer?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  My opinion is it is what it worth to you, not some formula that some one set up, and what it would cost to replace,

The value of that truck to me, is not what what its market value is worth, but what it would cost to replace, for a machine that can do the same job, I know the condition of it and what it strengths and weakness are,
                  I could easily go and put down $10,000 or more on a used truck and not have any more than what I have or just have a money pit,

but on most of my farm equipment just the cost of the replaceable tillage parts (shovels and disks) are worth more to buy than the machine I am putting them on at least 50% of the cost of the machine,

I guess I do not agree with your "50/50" rule as some thing hard and fast,, yes on some things I will totally agree,
                  as the parts are not priced or avable for the "disposable" stuff most companies are making today.

BHD,
                  I agree. I put money in my 1993 C3500 pickup. I don't think of the cost of up keep but rather how much would a replacement truck cost. So putting $500.00 into it is a drop in the bucket compared to a new one.. It may not be as fancy as a new one but, it still does the job..

I understand what your saying about "disposable" products. There is so many outdoor power equipment I don't like working on because they sell them so cheap if anything serious goes wrong it's not worth fixing..

I too belive the "50/50 rule" cannot be applied to all things at all times... This why I leave it up to the customer on what he/she wants.. BTW.....It's not my 50/50 rule don't know who your aiming that to.

Comment

now on that bosch hammer, it's a $1200 replacement cost. but for $600 they could probably find a good used one on ebay. what would it have cost to fix that hammer?

rick.

Rick,
                    Parts would run $500.00 plus shipping, with $100.00 labor..
                    That's fine if someone found a $600.00 used one but,,,, they maybe buying the same problems.. If it was mine I would fix it and have a new bottom end that I know would last for awhile..

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                      BHD,
                      I too belive the "50/50 rule" cannot be applied to all things at all times... This why I leave it up to the customer on what he/she wants.. BTW.....It's not my 50/50 rule don't know who your aiming that to.
                      I really was not aiming at any one just some what discussing the philosophy of repairing things, and when it is to much,

A few nights ago I was watching an episode of Roy Underhills Wood wrights Shop, and he showed an small broad Axe that had been repaired by having a new cutting edge that had been forge welded at one point in history by a black smith, and appeared to have come to this country about the time of the early Colonial times.
                      I thought it was amazing that they would go to that length to put it back in to service,

that K375 is an easy repair and some one must have used considerable it to wear the bushing out, and if he can get back in to operation for the cost of 4 bushings and some labor, I do not blame him, (no it may not be the best machine out there, but if it is what he has and it works for him great), by the way I have one as well, and it has helped me out many a time,

I think that a lot depends on the times and quality and how the economy of the country is, and the person is,

and most likely I would have repaired the hammer as well,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                      X